Load bearing wall

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
RAYBEV1!

Hi I am living in Beverton house is 20 years old I want to knock down the living room wall to open up the kitchen. Does anyone in Beverton have any plans for the houses as I want to identify the support walls. I know its a long shot.
Cheers
Ray
kenny

No plans but we live in a 4-bed semi in Beverton. We knocked the wall between the kitchen and dining room, that was definitely load bearing and required a RSJ.
RAYBEV1!

Thanks i was going to get an engineer in just courious. I would do it myself if only partition wall. Load bearing is a lot different. Was it a big job for the builder
Jabba

We live in Beverton and did this about 3 years ago.

We used a builder and his only concern was where he could position the RSJ that would be required, he was hoping there would be room to place it in the ceiling i.e no water pipes etc in the way of else it would have to be placed below the ceiling which would mean there it would be visible (I'm sure covered in and decorated) but would show there was a wall there at some stage - luckily it fitted into the roof void and we are really happy with the change

Definitely load bearing as required a RSJ

He also removed the two doors we had from the hall to the kitchen and dining room by moving part of the wall in the hall to make one entrance to the new open plan room - this wasn't load bearing and was just re arranging stud partition walls

the difference it makes is incredible and delighted we did it, but from memory they had four men there for the RSJ par of the job
RAYBEV1!

Thanks so much for the detailed reply its a great help. I have a builder coming on Sat to get a price.
Cheers
RAY
RAYBEV1!

Hi Jabba are you in a 3 bed semi or 4 bed
Jabba

We are in a 4 bed semi D - but bear in mind even the 4 beds are not uniform in design and layout !