CCTV in the village

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
micropoodle

I saw on Facebook, via USEE that there is some problem with using the CCTV in Donabate village.

It seems to be inferred that local community groups (including the community council) need to be on board before it is reactivated.

Does anyone now what exactly the true story is on this?

Those groups arent elected representatives and don't necessarily represent us (ie: they cannot be the decision makers). Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of time for groups like those that volunteer their time to help make the area a better place. But they cannot be the deciding factor in matters like this. So does anyone know the true story behind this?

The guy running a particular facebook page that brought it to our attention seems to like being purposefully vague. He posts it up, then gives vague responses or none at all when asked by loads of people about it.

I've made representations in the past to the relevant people about CCTV in the village and will be getting on to them about this, once I know what the actual story is.
Jabba

I agree with Micropoddle, I am in favour of the CCTV being operational in the village. So if the company USEE is willing to provide this service and it appears a lot of residents are happy to have the CCTV in operation why has it been stopped ?. If there is a local "group" who have an issue with the CCTV can they please identify themselves and let the people know what their reasons are ! Everyone is entitled to an opinion and it might be this "group" have legitimate reasons that we can debate. But I dont like the vagueness of the current situation
diggerbarnes

Can you post a link to what you saw micropoodle?
micropoodle

can't seem to link directly to the post, but it's on the donabate village facebook page....

https://www.facebook.com/DonabateVillage

i'm still none the wiser as to what's going on and who seems to think they can make that decision.
As far as I'm concerned if the council and guards say it's ok then what's the problem?

also i'm not sure what the connection is to the guy that runs that Facebook page, though he seems to think that by getting more likes and shares of the post, he will go 'knocking on doors'! :)
Ted

I saw this on Facebook and don’t really get it. Have the company in question been requested to turn it off or is there some other reason? The vagueness of the post and the request to like and share seems odd.

While I’m not convinced that a private security company controlling and operating cctv in public places is a good idea, this has a whiff of publicity or a kind of peeing contest between some interested parties.
Vlad the Impaler

Who runs the Donabate facebook page? Whoever did the post said they weren't going to progress things until they got enough 'Likes'. Sounds odd.
francescothemonk

I think the person who runs that Donabate village page loves fishing for likes whether is cctv in village, trucks in village or flowerplanting in the village
Vlad the Impaler

It looks like some sort of CCTV company called 'Usee' has had a camera in the village for the past 6 months as a trial. (first I heard of it btw).

I'm guessing that now that the 6 month trial period has come to an end, they are looking for someone to pay for it. I followed the link from the Donabate person's Facebook page to the Usee blog and it seems to be the case, although money isn't explicitly mentioned. let's face it, you get nuffink for nuffink these days.
Last edited by Vlad the Impaler on 14 Oct 2015, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
Vlad the Impaler

.. company website is www.usee.ie. Looks like they are based in Donabate.
Mr. Stupid

francescothemonk wrote:I think the person who runs that Donabate village page loves fishing for likes whether is cctv in village, trucks in village or flowerplanting in the village
Oh yeah and hubby gets an honourable mention from time to time.
francescothemonk

I see they also give "free" stuff to local sports teams and the like - I wonder what the angle is there??http://www.usee.ie/usee-and-the-community/
1stimer

Maybe the community council are putting it out to tender or something? The six month free trial makes sense. Think the council maybe are being frugal?
topsyturvey

As far as I know, the Community Council are in favour of the CCTV....there is a fund for such projects which is nothing to do with the Community Council...they tried their best to engage with USEE to draw down these funds...their efforts were unsuccessful...and the Community Council dont have the dosh that USEE want to keep the service going...any rich philanthropists out there willing to foot the bill ?
francescothemonk

Funny - I heard a completely different version of events, where the council were the bad guys in this..........but then again the council members have completely changed since then, so who knows what the story is now! :roll:
topsyturvey

I concur - the only ones who know the truth are the Council Members who dealt with USEE and USEE - would be great if they could get together again and issue a joint update on the Community Council and USEE websites to let us know that common sense has prevailed and that whaever blockages were there before have either been cleared or at least identified. I was reading all the negativity so I asked the question of someone who's judgement I value and who knows some of the dealings between the parties and that was the answer I got. Sounds like with changes in personnel, perhaps lines of communication got blurred or even broke down. I hope they can keep talking and get this sorted,
Vlad the Impaler

It all very unclear for me. Lots of speculation and pub-type hearsay. Can I ask some questions?

1. What is the community council?

2. How is it funded?

3. Did they ask USEE to trial the CCTV or did USEE offer?

4. How much are USEE asking?

5. Who makes this decision? Can they give us some feedback here? (I'm assuming this council is not a secret society).

I think most of us would be in favour of the village being monitored.
topsyturvey

I would think most would be in favour as I am.

As to the Community Council being a secret society - surely that is tongue in cheek - it must be ! Do you live in Donabate Portrane ?

Check out www.donabateportranecommunity.com

They need new people all the time - why not get involved - you seem like someone who cares and could make a difference on the ground - they can be contacted via the website as I have done myself in the past and I think they also have a facebook page.
Vlad the Impaler

I'd like to get involved Topsy but I work long days, have a young family, a mistress every second Tuesday and then there's Alcoholics Anonymous twice a week upstairs in Keelings.

Perhaps in a few years down the road... and I'd have to go in disguise.
jack white

There's an upstairs in Keelings?
Thequeen

Wouldn't it be interesting to hear the true story - warts and all ?
diggerbarnes

Whatever about CCTV in the village, this company was always very cagey about their affairs and transparency, choosing to give out only whatever information they wanted ie. marketing spin. They would not answer direct and reasonable questions put to them. They are a private business and don't give a sh*t about the community for its own sake, just the success of their company. Which is fair enough of course, but don't get sucked into the waffle about them being their for you.
Ken
Site Admin

Locking this thread as it's just speculation as to the reasons behind the issue. USEE and the Community Council don't appear to want to contribute to clarify the reasons behind the CCTV being turned off.

We would suggest that anyone with concerns contact USEE and the Community Council directly.
Regards,

Ken.