New road Settlers

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
DonerKabab

See the travellers have moved in on the new road by the junction for Donabate. Can't help but notice that they have been burning the trees that were there and also burning their rubbish too.

Wonder has anyone else had a close call with the traveller kids playing on the road late at night?? Nearly hit a few of them on the road in my car around 11:30 during the week!! bloody frightened the hell out of me as I only saw them at the last minute as they ran out in front of me!!

The travellers look as if they are there for the long hall as they have appeared to have laid down a truck load of gravel for themselves.

They give a great first impression of Donabate.. :roll:

Hope the Fingal Co.co will moved them on?
bronorton

Yeah looks awful and is very dangerous. You wouldnt build a house here (though I'm sure FCC will try), so why can you illegally live there?
Last edited by bronorton on 19 Jul 2020, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
RW85

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... Jt3u3KoztN

Report illegal encampments to Fingal Co Co here!
Ciaran

DonerKabab wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 14:32 See the travellers have moved in on the new road by the junction for Donabate. Can't help but notice that they have been burning the trees that were there and also burning their rubbish too.

Wonder has anyone else had a close call with the traveller kids playing on the road late at night?? Nearly hit a few of them on the road in my car around 11:30 during the week!! bloody frightened the hell out of me as I only saw them at the last minute as they ran out in front of me!!
Have you considered not driving so fast? There are plenty of houses with front gardens that face directly onto that road too, and the speed at which people seem to think it's fine to drive along that stretch of road baffles me. There's also a pedestrian crossing badly needed at the white gates entrance to Newbridge House.

As an aside, should be well able to see at 11:30 given it's broad daylight at that time. ;)
bcronin

They are know also drying loads of clothes on the wooden fence.

It looks terrible. Do they have permission to be there?

Donabate has been built up far too fast without the necessary services in the area. The person at the planning office in Fingal County Council must be a muppet.

No new schools, no extra train capacity to town, just the one supermarket. And the internet is still awful.
DonerKabab

Ciaran wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 12:17
DonerKabab wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 14:32 See the travellers have moved in on the new road by the junction for Donabate. Can't help but notice that they have been burning the trees that were there and also burning their rubbish too.

Have you considered not driving so fast? There are plenty of houses with front gardens that face directly onto that road too, and the speed at which people seem to think it's fine to drive along that stretch of road baffles me. There's also a pedestrian crossing badly needed at the white gates entrance to Newbridge House.

As an aside, should be well able to see at 11:30 given it's broad daylight at that time. ;)
Unfortunately it was after I posted the comment I realised that I left out the "pm" Ciaran. Never posted something on a web forum before. First time!!

As I said already, I nearly hit a few of their kids at 11:30 pm as I was driving up to the junction in my car!! Its the last place you expect kids to be playing, especially at that time of night.

Thanks to RW85 for posting the link for the Fingal Co co on reporting the traveller camp. Unfortunately the phone number does not work.... You can only email them which is not great at all. Even their main number is no use either.... Just rings out!!

Yes it is a dangerous place for them to be, especially for other people who are using the road!!
Bawner

I saw the clothes hanging, and burning trees and rubbish. If I turned up there in a campervan and did the same how long would it be before I would be dragged out of there by council/guards with a court appearance for trespass etc???
Darkknight

Bawner wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 19:29 I saw the clothes hanging, and burning trees and rubbish. If I turned up there in a campervan and did the same how long would it be before I would be dragged out of there by council/guards with a court appearance for trespass etc???
Yep..... You would be arrested within a day or so after setting up camp and be facing a lovely day in court!!
John Spark

No sign of these being moved on. At 11:45pm last night as I passed they had a big fire burning, with flames up to 15ft or higher, and with trees overhanging the fire. The Gardaí were called and said it had already been reported and a car was on the way. Didn’t hear anything more.

What are our local representatives doing about this situation I wonder? They’re normally very vocal, claiming credit for everything from sporting successes to good weather, but not a peep about this 🤔
Star

A further 20 + caravans have parked up in the grounds of the old Turvey golf club. Approx 100 or so visitors have settles in.

They arrives yesterday afternoon
Ken
Site Admin

Hopefully they will be moved on quickly as they are on private property.
Regards,

Ken.
Star

Ken wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 21:24 Hopefully they will be moved on quickly as they are on private property.
Hopefully!

Tthere is private residence in there also as well as the farm animals.
bronorton

Its great that by doing nothing Fingal CC have endorsed Donabate as a fabulous staycation for the Travelling Community.

Great to see them supporting the local community

"Come to Donabate, we have sun, sand, nature and no Garda station"
EB1986

Well thats what they do. Tresspass and extort. Thats what they've been doing for years in various places.
Before some hyper senseitive person starts getting on their high horse and condem me as whatever the trending hashtag us this week, take a look at all the rubbish they have tossed over the wall into the trees in the park.

Bags and bags and you can usexyour imagination what else is there.

And remember all the destruction in Turvey alotments earlier in the year.

They have no respect for places, property or anyone. Trespass, wreck the place, intimidate and refuse to leave. Then eventually when they are evicted, move on to the next place and repeat.

Also probably cant evict them because of covid so expect more to organise themselves and arrive.
Darkknight

I see the travellers are out and about scouting the local area!! They stick out like a sore thumb... Spotted a few of them calling into houses having a good look around!! Two of them walked into my driveway and when they saw me they did a swift u-turn out!!

Make sure you have your property secure!!
Darkknight

It was yesterday evening by the way that they where doing their rounds!!
bronorton

It is entirely a coincidence that there has been an increase in theft in the last while.

They are not renters etc. so dont know why Covid would mean anything in this case
JoeBloggs2

The travellers probably think covid is a drink :lol:

I definitely don't believe in coincidence especially when travellers make an appearance. They are known to scout out potential targets before moving in.
bronorton wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 11:35 It is entirely a coincidence that there has been an increase in theft in the last while.

They are not renters etc. so dont know why Covid would mean anything in this case
Spider

Why doesn t the dog warden drop in and check the licence for the poor dog they have with them instead of harassing legitimate dog owners in the park and on the beach. It seems they are an untouchable group no matter what they do.
Cassie

JoeBloggs2 wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 12:48 The travellers probably think covid is a drink :lol:

I definitely don't believe in coincidence especially when travellers make an appearance. They are known to scout out potential targets before moving in.
bronorton wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 11:35 It is entirely a coincidence that there has been an increase in theft in the last while.

You would think Covid doesnt mean anything in this case, yet, when it was reported rubbish was being dumped over the wall into the park, we received reply from our usually very vocal councillor, that due to Covid, Council cannot get a court order to evict them. The problem is there shouldnt be any need for court order
in first place, it's a trespass. We should set up camp site at the council's doorstep, wait patiently for court order and see how they like that.
Star

I have been able to contact anyone in Fingal coco about this.

I would love for someone explain to explain to me why the law is in their favour and not the private land owners

Anti social behaviour has begun, hopefully they will be gone soon.
Spider

Handy for the council to have Covid as an excuse. What's been the excuse when this has happened before?
bronorton

Well a previous government decided that this community are protected and thus get more rights than others in society.

Continuing the race to the bottom.

What unbelievably short sighted legislation the government have drafted if that is the case. Not sure why anyone would be a landlord in this country
Ann O
Site Admin

ADMIN NOTICE

As per the forum charter :-

"Users should register and post from one account only."

Users with multiple accounts will have them deleted and banned from the forum.
Star

New visitors arriving this evening.

Some farm animals have been attacked and may need to be put down!

It is disgraceful in this day and age that private residence can be subjected to this behaviour.

Hopefully they will be gone soon.