Face mask

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Mr. Stupid

Disappointed with An Bacus Beag telling their customers it's optional to wear a face mask.
The virus spreads faster indoors. How hard is to put on a face mask for 5 mins?

Are these guys supporting Trump as well?
bronorton

God forbid people had to take personal responsibility and not be forced to do something :? :shock:
Douglas

I was very surprised by the post. This is a very small shop and I think it irresponsible to post such a comment, apart from it being the law to wear masks in stores it’s the right thing to do. Each time a new measure is brought it by the government, it’s to stop the spread and save lives and yet many wait until the actual day it becomes law to do what they should be doing based on sound advice not law.

Stay safe everyone
Ken
Site Admin

I agree on the personal responsibility and that we should wear masks indoors without being told.

However, why single out one business? I'm not aware of any shop that has insisted that customers wear masks. If it's not government mandated, I'm not sure where a business would stand legally with such a policy.
Regards,

Ken.
Mr. Stupid

The shop posted on their facebook page on 15th July on 22:45, that they will leave it up to people to decide whether they wanted to wear a mask or not.

Earlier on the same day the government announced that people should wear masks.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gov ... 11336.html
golden

I think there's a difference between sitting back and letting people do their own thing and making a point of telling people we don't care if you wear masks.

I love bacus beag but the post about masks is misguided and sends the wrong message.
Mr. Stupid

Which post is misguided? This one or their one?

This one intended to be constructive so if not, please let me know and I'll edit.
Ken
Site Admin

I can't see business insisting that people wear masks until the government make it compulsory. It's hard enough doing business in the current climate without having to deal with idiots looking for an argument.

Believe me, I've seen plenty of them arguing with staff over the last few months. People trying to justify why they shouldn't queue like everyone else take the biscuit.
Regards,

Ken.
Mr. Stupid

You need to have a security guard employed. However, people can also vote with their feet. Avoid shops that don't insist on face masks for their own safety. Was disappointing to see so many people click like to that post from that shop. 51 cases already in Donabate and a lot more to come if that's how people feel.
Scotty

Mr Stupid by name Stupid by comments! What has Trump to do with a bakery in Donabate? Also it is NOT law to wear in shops, only public transport. You are told you should, but that’s different to you must! Staff must wear one unless a screen is in place at the point of contact. Get you facts correct before giving your gestapo points of view!
bunt25

Mr. Stupid wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 14:34 You need to have a security guard employed. However, people can also vote with their feet. Avoid shops that don't insist on face masks for their own safety. Was disappointing to see so many people click like to that post from that shop. 51 cases already in Donabate and a lot more to come if that's how people feel.
I’m thinking Donabate doesn’t have 51 active cases considering there are only 649 active cases in the whole country.
Irish news have done a splendid job of scaremongering.
That being said, I do agree with the guidelines.
I think however, that the Government (and people) should focus more on strengthening and promoting people’s sense of social responsibility and common sense. Works much better than scaremongering in my humble opinion.
Mr. Stupid

bunt25 wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 21:03 I’m thinking Donabate doesn’t have 51 active cases considering there are only 649 active cases in the whole country.
Irish news have done a splendid job of scaremongering.
That stat was taken from the 12th of June. You can see it here: https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/
ED Name: DONABATE
County: DUBLIN
Pop 2016: 9,399
COVID-19 Confirmed Cases: 53**
I am assuming it was the total positive cases.
That being said, I do agree with the guidelines.
I think however, that the Government (and people) should focus more on strengthening and promoting people’s sense of social responsibility and common sense. Works much better than scaremongering in my humble opinion.
They have been asking people to wear masks and some people won't for variety of very stupid and selfish reasons. So it is necessary now to force people.
Bawner

Government need to get off fence and change "should" to "must" with right balance. My daughter was on train on Monday lunchtime and some guy was getting written up for no face mask.

When Spain opened up beaches anyone not distancing was instantly fined. No verbal warning or second chance. It became clear immediately that they were not taking excuses so people adhered to rules.

If we can't do the right thing ourselves then unfortunately we need to have the decision made for us. I was on a scenic walk yesterday and the amount of tourists was extraordinary. Oh I forgot- they filled out a form so they're fine :roll:

Now for parties, covid or not. Regarding the case in Cork, why are the students living there not in court as well? Is the landlord their legal guardian?

Rant over...
Vlad the Impaler

Great coffee and produce in an Bacus Beag.

Not only are you supporting local businesses, the quality will put a smile on your face (whether it’s covered or not).

Treat yourself!
TheGT

Douglas wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 09:59 I was very surprised by the post. This is a very small shop and I think it irresponsible to post such a comment, apart from it being the law to wear masks in stores it’s the right thing to do. Each time a new measure is brought it by the government, it’s to stop the spread and save lives and yet many wait until the actual day it becomes law to do what they should be doing based on sound advice not law.

Stay safe everyone
You are wrong, it is not law to wear face masks. It is only mandatory to wear a "face covering" on public transport. The wearing of face coverings may well be challenged as the scientific evidence is dodgy at best.
Roarsbaby

I was under the impression that you did have to wear them in shops?

"You must also wear a face covering in shops, supermarkets, shopping centres and other retail settings. New laws will be drafted in the coming days that will make this mandatory for all customers."

Source: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/h ... vid19.html
Beenthere

By law you have to wear a face mask on public transport but you should wear one in shops.