New Local Area Plan 2014-2020

Vlad the Impaler

I think we should keep an eye on this...

DONABATE LOCAL AREA PLAN (LAP) 2014-2020

The Fingal County Council Planning & Infrastructure Department previously commenced public consultation on a new Donabate LAP in 2011. A Strategic Issues Paper was published to encourage participation in the consultation process and submissions were received from the public. They have now re-commenced the preparation of a new Local Area Plan for Donabate which will cover the period of 2014-2020.

The future LAP will focus on undeveloped lands which are zoned Objective RA - 'Provide for new residential communities in accordance with approved local area plans and subject to the provision of the necessary social and physical infrastructure' comprising approx. 144 hectares (355acres) in four land parcels at Corballis, Ballymastone, Rahillion and at Turvey Avenue.

To augment the previous consultation exercise, there is now an additional opportunity for the community to express their views on existing and future development patterns and requirements for the area, which will inform the future preparation of the new LAP.

Submissions can be made in the normal manner to:

Senior Executive Officer,
Planning Department, Fingal County Council
County Hall, Swords, Fingal, Co. Dublin

or by email todevplan@fingalcoco.ie

on or before Friday 31st January 2014.
Mr. Stupid

Not enough money for walkway. Not enough money for Dart. Not enough money for purpose built library. Not enough money to fix hockey pitch.

But yet we have a local development plan.

Why?

1. To keep some pen pushers in Fingal CC busy
2. So that land zoned for developer and in the hands of developers and nama keeps it values
3. So we have the fear of having another 4,000 houses in Donabate / Portrane area that will be high density, our of character with the area and essentially ruin it.
CitygirlD

Hi potential neighbors,
My partner and I are thinking of buying a 4 bedroom house in Rahillion. I am very concerned when I read all these forums because there seem to be no progress made on amenities to support 20k+ people. Is there a plan to have more grocery stores in Donabate? Clearly, 1 supervalu can't support that many people. please let me know as I need to evaluate our decision in a practical way. the house is beautiful and so is Donabate so my heart is already there but my brain is telling me to do my homework. Also, are the properties appreciating in Donabate? with no clear infrastructure plans, I don't see how they will.

Any opinion will be appreciated.
thank you in advance
Vlad the Impaler

The great thing about capitalism is that left alone, it feeds itself. If there's money to be made, it'll be made.

Up until recently, SuperValu was adequate for the area. Lately though, I'm finding common items being out of stock more and more. Being a monopoly, the management don't feel the need to put customer first (e.g. the butcher counter is no longer staffed in the evening for workers coming home).

It won't be long before a competitor sees the area as big enough to sustain two supermarkets. They'll purchase a site and build a store. No doubt in my mind. The path is now clear.

Definitely not a blocker for you moving here. Lovely area, and the authorities are committing to develop in a sustainable way. We just need to keep our eye on them.
CitygirlD

Thank you Vlad. I have always lived in big cities so the lack of amenities always scare me. This is also our first house and we don't want to mess it up!

thanks again
Vlad the Impaler

The village is on a train line, which always ends up adding value to an area in the end. Particularly when they get around to bringing the Dart northwards.

We have had a lot of concerns about development plans in the area. They have eased somewhat with a commitment to sustainable development. Luckily we have very active community groups that are now extremely well organised in policing the activities of the local authorities.

It's a new way of thinking when you first move out to the suburbs. A car is a must-have for example - which I hadn't needed when I first moved to Dublin and lived in the city.

A good area and very good for families, with lots of local sporting activities for young 'uns. A taxi home from town of a Friday night will set you back 40 quid, so you'll end up trying to catch the last train home.
CitygirlD

Another question: have you guys been able to fight the 30% social housing allowance? I am American so I don't know what qualifies as social housing but if its the same as in America then the houses are just given to people. I am ok with the affordable housing.
Do you see any major changes in your town with the social housing allowance? like crime etc. I know its such a rude thing to ask but the asking price for the Rahillion house is the same as a house in Killester Dublin so I want to make sure that my next door neighbor isn't someone who is handed the house and won't respect it, vs. the almost 500k we are paying for it.
Northwest

Hey I moved to Donabate after living in the city for over 10 years.
The main reason was my budget allowed a much nicer house on the train line.
I'm here 8 months and I wish I had done some more research !!!
I read all the forums etc. about trains etc. And some are incredibly uncomfortable in the morning and always late especially in the last month. Unfortunately the timetable doesn't work out well for me.
The shop situation is as above..But plenty of choice of other products.
It's a shame there is no competition! Even the butcher is gone.

I don't have children at the moment but I am genuinely worried re childcare availability.
Just my thoughts and opinions. I love my house though!
diggerbarnes

When kids come along you'll realise what an amazing place it is to live.
CitygirlD

Thank you so much all!

I do think that nicest people live in Donabate. All my concerns are answered and I think I can get over many of my concerns but I was doing a property price analysis in Donabate and I think the new build that we are looking at is at the higher end of the market (475k for a 4 bedroom semi-detached). Even when the area realizes its potential with all the amenities, it would only sell for its prize now in 3 to 5 years. Of course I am looking at the 3-5 year market so its a short term view (I did mortgage bonds in America in my previous life) Sorry to be boring but i didn't see any houses except for the detached ones with land selling for more than 500k.

A colleague of mine is doing an area analysis for me so i will know more soon but what do you guys think? 475k for a new build + paying for floors, lights, appliances, paneling and shelves so all in 490k!
Vlad the Impaler

I personally think Rahillion is about 10-20 percent overpriced.

Looks for sales in places like the Links which are selling closer to 400k and closer to the station.
Vlad the Impaler

... haggle with Rahillion. They’ll probably knock 10% off if they think they’ve lost a sure deal.
Seamus

There are many reasons to buy in Donabate but property appreciation is not one of them. Prices here are pretty much at the highest point that they are going to achieve and with 4,000 to 6,000 new houses being constructed here over the next 5 to 10 years, doubling the population, prices are going to fall due to oversupply.
Northwest

Interesting !
What was the population before say 2008?
I find it hard to imagine it doubling but I haven't lived here long enough to see the changes the village must have undergone.
Matsugawa

Rahillion houses are priced on the high side but in their favour they're A rated, steel frame construction, well designed nicely finished (as opposed our house, which is block built, C3 rated, badly finished and very badly designed!). They have no problem selling them at a premium. Will they appreciate? Not by much I'd guess given the house prices are being suppressed by lending restrictions. Will they crash? Not likely in the next 3-5 years given the chronic undersupply of houses and slow rates of construction.

All bets are off for the next global economic meltdown when that arrives but you can't put your life on hold waiting for that.