St. Ita's On BBC??

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Bumblebee

I have just watched last nights episode of Ripper Street on the BBC, I was told previously that a lot of the external shots were filmed in Dublin. Part of this weeks episode involved an asylum and I would swear there were shots of St. Ita's, especially the main entrance into the building, did anyone else see this?
Ken
Site Admin

Looks like it was. I heard there were filming here during the summer. Someone on this Boards.ie thread claims that they were filming at St. Ita's.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... p=78507257
Regards,

Ken.
gemma

I did notice what appeared to be a film crew/vans with tv/film gear around donabate village in the summer...
loraine

Hi

St Ita's is used regularly for filming and was used in Ripper St. The main entrance, the catholic church and the laundry yard were all used. Various locations on the penninsula have been used over the years with the original car park at Tower Bay being where the opening scene of the first Father Ted series was filmed. The Brook Pub in Portrane has also been used and several scenes from The Butcher Boy were also filmed in the hospital where children from the local boys school were also drafted in as "extras" for some of the scenes.
glasagusdubh

I remember being in school when they were looking for extras for the butcher boy, they sent a note home to parents requesting 50s or 60s style haircuts!! also the Borstal Boy based on Brendan Behan's novel was filmed around the beach and ballmastone I remember specifically the night they were filming up there probably 10 years ago or more. What was the film called that the Brook featured in again? The Sun the Moon and the Stars was it? there was shots from the old bar in it if I remember correctly would love to watch that again out of curiosity!