Giro d'Italia

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
blowin1

Just checking on the route after seeing all the Road Closed 11th May signs on the dual carriage way, are we really going to be cut off for 2-3 hours or so on the peninsula or are they maintaining access onto the M1 at all times or what?

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/roads-and-trav ... %27italia/
Ken
Site Admin

I think it will be 2-3 hours to travel the full route. Hopefully they'll reopen the roads after the last cyclist passes. These guys are pros and will pass through pretty quickly so I don't think it will be closed for more than 30 mins to an hour max.

Does this mean that they will be using the pedestrian/cycle tunnels at the hearse road/M1 junction? That would explain the elaborate design.
Regards,

Ken.
diggerbarnes

Yes and I think Fingal county council and Fianna Fáil should be congratulated on their good planning and foresight.
micropoodle

i got the notice.

i'm a little confused as to what roads are going to be blocked.
Presumably both entries to donabate can't be blocked legally so does anyone know what will remain open?
blowin1

It looks to my husband that the crossing point is at Hearse Road/Lissenhall but only to access the M1 North/South up to 20 mins before the Peloton.
Says that if I'm going to Swords it'll be via the Airport Junction... Looks like watching the Spanish F1 :)
ah_yeah

Since it says the herse rd and R132 to swords/lissenhall will be closed does this mean the slipway to the M1 will be closed also ? Or will it just be the road to Swords that will be closed ?
Ken
Site Admin

The route is down the R132 which is the old Swords Road so that will obviously be closed. It's not clear if the M1 slip from Donabate will be open. You would imagine it will be open as the M1 is not part of the route and there is nothing saying that it will be closed.

Hopefully it passes through pretty quickly and disruption will be minimal.
Regards,

Ken.
micropoodle

if the road is closed entirely then that means that for 3 to 4 hours no one will be allowed to enter donabate. if the M1 slip is closed it means that no one will be allowed to leave either.

i'm no expert but surely that's illegal?
surely we have to be able to leave and enter
Ann O
Site Admin

From this map on the Fingal CC site it appears that the roundabout at the end of the Hearse Road will be a "crossing point".

It looks like you'll be able to access M1 southbound, but it's not clear if there's any access northbound on the old road during the times mentioned above.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/media/Race%20R ... ap%202.pdf
ah_yeah

Could always go south to go north by turning up at the airport if thats the case ?
blowin1

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/media/Informat ... eaflet.pdf
Controlled Crossing
Controlled Crossing Points will be managed to facilitate access across the route but will be closed at specific periods for race purposes. Official Controlled Crossing Points allow traffic to cross up to 20 minutes before peloton arrives.
According to this then the M1 junction North should only be affected for 40 mins or so, assuming 20 mins for cyclist entourage to pass :)
Ken
Site Admin

I'll be steering well clear of it. I reckon there will be cars abandoned everywhere along the Hearse Road and Turvey Avenue.
Regards,

Ken.