Local Elections 2014

All political discussion belongs in here!
Derek

Mr. Stupid wrote:Ah jaysus, if anything that should increase his support. Henchman is seriously committed to that pitch and the club by all accounts.

I would defo give him number 1 if he wasn't FF. Donabate has so many young kids (3 primary schools) we need better sporting facilities.
Agree somewhat with this. I don't know the man and its unfortunate that he ran into trouble over naming the official he dealt with, not to mention running for FF. Having said that, it's a disgrace that the pitch hasn't been repaired and to me is indicative of the regard we as a community and our needs are being held in by the establishment. As I said previously, if this pitch was in Malahide, Portmarnock or Howth, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I wish Adrian well on this score.
amgd1972 wrote:3 topics of which none of the candidates could update me on when at my door.

1: Rising Crime / break-ins recently.
2: Rising Drug Problem / KIDS STILL drinking in public..... Saturday morning at 11.00 am in the Fairways.
3: Methadone Dispensing from Cathal's Clinic..... to non local addicts...... my family struggling to get an appointment at the best of time.
4: Cuts to the Garda / the reduced visible presence in the area.

They could all tell me they were trying to address the all weather pitch, the pavements on Turvey road etc etc..... nice to have but doesn't keep my family safe.

One or two of them got really stroppy with me when challenged....... And still expect to get the No 1 vote :!:
Absolutlely agree 1000% with this and any current or would-be councillor that fails to take this seriously isn't worthy of being in office. Leaving the policing deficit aside, there's nothing stopping Fingal CoCo installing CCTV camera's in our area to assist in combating and detering crime. But no, our jolly councillors would rather rezone more land and pass LAP's all day long instead of contructively addressing the serious issues already in play. It's gratuitous.....
pinkie wrote:Well done that man.
Just read in Fingal Indo. Councillor Gerry McGuire requested The Council to write to the NRA to name the roundabout at top of Hearse Rd " The Donabate Roundabout ".
Glad to see he is using his time in the Council to good use. No Garda in the Village, plenty of antisocial behaviour and a few burglaries in the last few weeks but I can sleep soundly knowing the Donabate roundabout will be named " The Donabate Roundabout" .
Well done
Suffice to say, I will not be voting for him, irrespective of what name goes on a roundabout.
jack white

It has to be asked if there's any point in voting for a Donabate candidate at all.

As there's seven of them running the Donabate vote will be hopelessly split and none of them have any real chance of getting in. Gerry McGuire, as an elected councillor, must have had some presence outside Donabate or he would never have been elected in the first place. But his party are down in the polls and none of the other local candidates seem to be even trying to drum up any support outside Donabate.

So, I'll probably give up on getting a local guy in and simply vote along simple party lines. Not sure who will actually get my number one yet but obviously, as I'm anti-incompetence, Fianna Fail will be bottom of the list.
Mr. Stupid

Well traditionally I would have voted FG. Anne Devitt in the last election knew absolutely nothing about donabate. She didn't even know the ET school was in a prefab. I contacted about a few things and she was consistently useless. Why? She wasn't interested in Donabate. She was Swords.

Seriously, at local elections party lines go out the window. You vote for your local person. It's pot hole politics and nothing else.

That said, I think Dowling has a chance. He might get some of the Swords FG vote since Devitt has been disgraced.

Show me the money got a seat because traditionally Donabate has been a Labour area. That has changed because a lot of private sector professionals have moved out to Donabate over the last 10 - 15 years and Labour are losing a lot of their lower socio-economic vote to the shinners and their public sector vote to whoever (sorry I am out of touch).
Ken
Site Admin

Not looking good for Gerry or Bob.
Regards,

Ken.
Mr. Stupid

Ken wrote:Not looking good for Gerry or Bob.
Surprised Devitt got more than Bob on 1st count.
Henchman looks to be in the lead from Donabate. Hopefully we will get one over the line from here.

Lynam - SF - elected
Butler - FF - next
Copinger - SP - next

Jaysus, the Swords / Donabate ward looks like a real knacker's area with that list.

The last two seats will be a dog fight.

Paul Mulville polled really well. Surprise for me. Out polled Bob, Gerry and almost henchman who have had a bigger local presence. But like other posters said too many Donabate people ran and split the vote. Looks like all the boys from Swords will be deciding what happens to all the zoned development land now.

They might even put the monster sh*tter back out here.
Derek

Spot on mr S. ;)

I'd wager that the elimination of McGuire will get either Paul Mulville or Michael Collins - or perhaps even both - over the line. IMO Devitt is as good as gone. I don't see how any of the candidates who will be eliminated before her will transfer to her and keep her in the race. I don't think Labour will get one seat in Swords. Big shock that. The only Labour Councillor to top the poll nationally will be Ken Farrell from Lusk in the Balbriggan ward. Perhaps a few of Labour's local stalwarts would do well to look at what he did that they didn't.
Mr. Stupid

Derek wrote:I'd wager that the elimination of McGuire will get either Paul Mulville or Michael Collins - or perhaps even both - over the line. IMO Devitt is as good as gone. I don't see how any of the candidates who will be eliminated before her will transfer to her and keep her in the race. I don't think Labour will get one seat in Swords. Big shock that. The only Labour Councillor to top the poll nationally will be Ken Farrell from Lusk in the Balbriggan ward. Perhaps a few of Labour's local stalwarts would do well to look at what he did that they didn't.
I think people just went on an independent rampage and that perhaps explains Devitt vote. People voting just saw Independent and didn't even realise who she was or what she has done. That, or she has some big cosy cronies in Swords. Certainly none out here. If Uncle Bob or Henchman were independent they would have got over the line as they have both been quite active on the ground.
bear

Mr. Stupid wrote:
Derek wrote:I'd wager that the elimination of McGuire will get either Paul Mulville or Michael Collins - or perhaps even both - over the line. IMO Devitt is as good as gone. I don't see how any of the candidates who will be eliminated before her will transfer to her and keep her in the race. I don't think Labour will get one seat in Swords. Big shock that. The only Labour Councillor to top the poll nationally will be Ken Farrell from Lusk in the Balbriggan ward. Perhaps a few of Labour's local stalwarts would do well to look at what he did that they didn't.
I think people just went on an independent rampage and that perhaps explains Devitt vote. People voting just saw Independent and didn't even realise who she was or what she has done. That, or she has some big cosy cronies in Swords. Certainly none out here. If Uncle Bob or Henchman were independent they would have goter he line as they have both been quite active on the ground.[/quote
There are other issues in the area apart from Hockey pitches and Tennis courts when the so called high profile canditates called that's all they wanted to talk about.It looks like things are about to change big time i hope to god for the good.
Mr. Stupid

I would say if any multi national is analysing whether to invest in Ireland or not, the massive swing to Sinn Fein / PBP/ AAA / Wackey independents look bad.
Ken
Site Admin

Mr. Stupid wrote:I would say if any multi national is analysing whether to invest in Ireland or not, the massive swing to Sinn Fein / PBP/ AAA / Wackey independents look bad.
Let's keep it real. It's not a general election which generally gets a better turn out.

Councils haver very little power at the end of the day.
Regards,

Ken.
bear

Ken wrote:
Mr. Stupid wrote:I would say if any multi national is analysing whether to invest in Ireland or not, the massive swing to Sinn Fein / PBP/ AAA / Wackey independents look bad.
Let's keep it real. It's not a general election which generally gets a better turn out.

Ken wrote:

like a previous poster said they can have a say in issues such as planning or the sh!it plant.
Mr. Stupid

Ken wrote:

1. fix the hockey pitch: council
2. fix the road at from Beverton down to Turvey: council
3. Allocation of money for any sport facilities, youth facilities: council
4. Decide whether you have a brother, another bookie or a bike shop in your village: council
5. Cut (or don't cut) the grass in Newbridge park and your estate: council
6. Ensure there is enough Creches in your area: council
7. Decide where a massive council estate can go: council
8. Decide is some green field site should be all apartments and town houses or family homes with garages: council

It's a very long list and you had that over to the shinners and aaa who are hell bent on populist decisions and appealing to the lower socio economic grouping who bertie gave a pile of hand outs to they woudn't get in other countries and hence are now very upset because they think they have the right to them!

The council has a lot of power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUb_S4e-Rd4
AlanD

Devitt (Non-Party dontcha know) looking pretty solid. Passing a basic quiz on candidate history should be required before voting
jayflame

Mr. Stupid wrote: 7. Decide where a massive council estate can go: council
8. Decide is some green field site should be all apartments and town houses or family homes with garages: council
I certainly do not like the latter two.
Donabate and Portrane's population is big enough, it needs capping or it will ruin it.
Ken
Site Admin

McGuire has been excluded. Dowling still in with a shout. He got a good few transfers.
Regards,

Ken.
Mr. Stupid

jayflame wrote:
Mr. Stupid wrote: 7. Decide where a massive council estate can go: council
I certainly do not like the latter two.
Donabate and Portrane's population is big enough, it needs capping or it will ruin it.
It is zoned for another 4,000 houses / apartments.

They just haven't been built because of the crash but now that things are picking and there is constant talk about a housing shortage (particularly for social housing) you can bet your bottom dollar that we will see sprawling development in Donabate and Portrane.

Note: I don't have an issue with development of houses / apartments - people need to live somewhere. What I do have an issue with is they (Fingal CC) usually make a complete mess of it. Don't believe me have a look around the estates built in Swords during the boom and see how many you think are well planned. Swords also have way more facilities than Donabate will ever have (Cinema, Garda station, Several swimming pools, Tennis Club, Rugby club, Sailing club). Could you imagine the dive Donabate will turn into with a population increase 20,000 people with pretty much no meaningful increase in facilities (all you will get is a few more spars and centras)?

What needs to happen is for the area to be planned properly. Proper family homes, proper facilities for everyone and proper zoning of land. Fingal CC are usually pretty dismal - expect it to get even worse without a few strong voices from the Donabate / Portrane area.

You are talking potentially one of the biggest kips in Ireland.
Ken
Site Admin

AlanD wrote:Nothing since yesterday.

http://data.fingal.ie/elections/index.htm?contit=453
It's tediously slow. Not sure what's happening in our constituency. You would imagine they'd be close to finished by now. There's no update anywhere today.
Regards,

Ken.
Sydney

There's a recount of the whole shebang as the 4 lowest candidates were so close in votes.

It's starting in Swords tomorrow morning at 10h00.
Mr. Stupid

Sydney wrote:There's a recount of the whole shebang as the 4 lowest candidates were so close in votes.

It's starting in Swords tomorrow morning at 10h00.
And who are these four?

Is there even one candidate from Donabate?
Donabate Hatter

I think there are least two from Donabate, Henchy and Collins, what I don't understand is that they are the bottom four, the bottom four of how many? A lot of the candidates got several hundred votes less than these four in the first count, surely some of the low scorers must have been eliminated? How many/who is still in the running for a seat?

I have to say that IMHO the whole thing is descending into farce now!!!!
Ken
Site Admin

Sounds as though it's a complete recount so everyone is back in. When I looked at it this morning, they were down to about 12 with the rest eliminate which included Gerry McGuire. There were a few around the 400 mark that may be requesting the recount.
Regards,

Ken.
Ken
Site Admin

This is what I heard from someone closer to what's going on. Explains why the original results disappeared off the Fingal site. We start from scratch again tomorrow.

Micky Collins called a recount at 3.30am as he was on 964 and Hennessy was on 965. After the recount it emerged that all candidates lost votes but Collins was still bottom on 957, with Hennessy on 962, Dowling on 965 and Henchy on 973.

Collins then called a general recount (all 1st pref. and transfers) to commence tomorrow.
Regards,

Ken.
Mr. Stupid

Mental. Just shows you how important it is to vote. Anyone know anything about Collins?

It would be great if Uncle Bob and Henchman got it. But I wouldn't hold my breath either will make it.

Thanks for the updates btw - google is not telling me much.
bear

Lynam and Butler elected just like first count.just like the first count as well looks like very little in it.