Thoughts on Donabate as a town and anti-social behaviour

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
PNSB07

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to buy a house in Donabate (Balmostone) and wanted to seek opinions and reviews about the town. Its a new upcoming development and considering the housing market in Dublin the houses in Donabate are the only ones in my budget.

How bad is the anti-social behaviour at Donabate? Has it increased over the past few years and is it getting worse? My concern is as a lot of houses will be under the affordable housing scheme plus 20% will be social housing (the new standard for new developments). Will it make sense to buy a house and start a family there? With 1200 houses coming in next 5 years do we expect a soar in price and maybe this purchase can turn out to be good investment?

I am aware of the commute as it has only 1 train and less frequent busses but are there plans of getting a dart station? The major concern for me is anti-social behavior as I am an expat living in Dublin for more than 5 years I believe its the time for me to buy a house now. I have lived in Clongriffin for 2.5 years and the anti-social element was pretty bad lately and has been increasing.

I hope Donabate is better than Clongriffin in this aspect. Looking forward to your genuine opinions and views.
gruffalo

In regards to your question regarding transport; https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/c0a ... 20Drogheda.

As for anti-social behaviour in and around the village, I am not sure how to answer that if I am honest, one mans anti-social behaviour is another mans "kids will be kids".
You know it’s cold outside when you go outside and it’s cold.
diggerbarnes

Transport is good but could be better and very soon it will be with the introduction of hybrid trains which will essentially convert Donabate to a 'DART' station with greater frequency. Bus service should increase also with the additional new builds on the peninsula.
There is some anti-social behavior of course, it can't be avoided completely anywhere. But it is low-level in comparison to nearby towns and most people feel very safe here.
Matsugawa

Transport links are very good considering the semi-rural location (very good train service, close to motorway, bus services good for swords but little else).

Most new estates in Donabate have a high proportion of social/affordable housing. We bought our house privately but live close to the social units and there has never been any issue - I just know of one person who has a problem with one neighbour - it’s pot luck who your neighbours are and being an arsehole has little to do with whether you are living in a private, social or affordable house.

Donabate is still small, so people recognise people and there are lots of sports clubs to keep people busy. I don’t think it has an anti social behaviour problem but I’m not hanging around SuperValue car park at 10pm. If you hang around there at 10pm you’re at the epicentre of it 😂. Obviously Halloween is awful as every little tracksuit has some bangers and rockets to let off - but that’s the same everywhere in Dublin.

There is a good community spirit but there are worries about overdevelopment and lack of facilities for a rapidly growing population.
Mr. Stupid

Dupilicate
Last edited by Mr. Stupid on 13 Jun 2024, 08:23, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Stupid

In terms of social problems, one time I saw someone hit someone else at a shop. A few people who saw it checked was the person ok and he said he was. That's it in 15 years. Another time, I over heard a few teenagers saying they weren't bothered to do their homework but I would see that as their problem rather than a social one.