Donabate Dexter no More?

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
gruffalo

I thought I would ask here if anybody has any idea what is going on.

Donabate Dexter (The Dexter is an Irish breed of small cattle) farm is located in the old Turvey Golf Club for any of you who do not know, over the past few years it seemed to be going from strength to strength supplying quality beef along with other products such as chicken, lamb and pork to locals and further afield.

In the past couple of months I have noticed that their website is showing the majority of their produce is out of stock, there are no cattle grazing in the old golf club and, a lot more worryingly, of late I have noticed people surveying the land.

Now, it goes without saying that this is PRIME real-estate and we are is drastic need for more homes and I am not for one minute suggesting that they have sold up and we are going to have another major housing estate develop there but it all seems a little strange.

When I contacted them a few weeks back to ask if they were still in business I was told that they would be getting more stock in June, and yes we are only half way through the month so there could be a replenishment of the website etc. but I am just a little concerned as to probability that it may not be the case and we will see the loss of yet another local award winning business.

NOW! Before you all jump in and ridicule me, this is just me, myself and I thinking the worst and my understanding is that that land is Green Belt so may be very hard for developers to get any sort of planning but all that being said, I just wanted to air my thoughts.
You know it’s cold outside when you go outside and it’s cold.
Mr. Stupid

It is zoned as agricultural but it can always be rezoned or a hotel could go there (I think) with adjoining green space.
Agree with you on the high quality of Donabate Dexter.
gruffalo

Oh I am sure it can be rezoned, nothing is sacred any more, especially when it comes to an bord pleanala.
Spider

I think that site would be ideal for a nursing home and retirement village. Plenty of grounds around it and just off the main road for visitors.
midsomermurderer

Spoke to them several months ago.
They had to vacate the Turvey Golf Club (landlord apparently looking to build) and were looking for an alternative site.
They have cattle opposite Lissenhall Vet approaching the first roundabout on the left hand side (the Donabate Dexter sign is there).
gruffalo

Yes I had seen them using that field before but must have missed them there recently, really glad they are still trying to keep the business going.

So that is what I thought, they are looking to build on the site, will be interesting to see how much of it they will be able to build on given it is bordering the Nature Reserve and a few sides
Stargazer100

Donabate Dexter don't own the land so has to be the owners surveying the land and they have a plan of some kind although at the moment the land is zoned amenity. Definitely still animals on the land though so the farmer is still there.
Benrich

Hi I will miss the Market at Turvey Avenue greatly especially the Lady who sold the Dexter Meat She was a great woman to deal with. So sorry 😢
gruffalo

Passing this afternoon (Thursday 29th June) I noticed a herd of Dexter in the field alongside Turvey Avenue which is definitely a positive sign.

I know the inevitable will happen and the land will be built on at some stage as it is prime real-estate but hopefully the farm keep going for as long as possible.