The Gallery - looking to purchase

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
dlndd

Hello, I noticed that there are 3 apartments for sale at the moment in The Gallery. I am looking to purchase and I was wondering if there is a problem I should be aware of which is causing owners to sell ? I read about the 5 storey buildings which were said that they would block the sunlight. Anything going on at the moment that more people are selling, or is this just normal ? Thanks!
BateBoy

A friend of mine bought an apartment in Gallery a couple of years ago and they have upsized to Beresford now, they loved the Gallery and at the time they were buying there were a few apartments for sale too, there seems to be a relatively high turnover of them because some are rented and a lot of people use them as a starter home.

The problems they encountered were very small, a leak from the roof down onto the balcony which was getting into the apartment at the joint of the window and floor. - the Management Company resolved relatively quickly, a problem with the intercom, that was again, resolved fairly quickly. They had a south facing apartment, the husband found it very warm in the summer, the wife absolutely loved it - with the sun beating in it was warm, but you could open the windows and create a nice draught to counteract it - the same in the winter though, a sunny day they didnt really need heating on (2nd floor, apartment above and below them).

The things they loved were, really nice neighbours, loads of places for their daughter to play on her little bike safely, the peaceful surroundings and accessibility to the train and the village - overall they loved it!

Hope that helps!
Always smile

Hello blndd,
I have just read your post on purchasing an apartment in The Gallery Donabate, I would just like to say that before you consider buying any of these apartments, although a lovely private estate with beautiful greens, I had lived in The Gallery for 8 years before thankfully moving out for good

In the last 3 years there have been 3 different so called management companies, all who have done absolutely nothing for homeowners or renters, all 3 companies have gotten out because and The Gallery are now looking for a 4th management company to take over ( with no interest from any other company at the moment

Curran Management, Purple Management and the latest Urban management companies have all been so so awful and my neighbours and friends who I had there can all back this up as can I, to say one apartment had a leak but was sorted is one thing, but what people who don’t and never have lived in these apartments don’t actually know is owners are selling up not because of a building being built that may block views or sunlight, these apartments have had families living in just their living rooms because other bedrooms were and are so contaminated, if you would like to know more I can send you proof through PM, I would hate to see yet another person taken for a fool by purchasing these cowboy made apartments
dlndd

Thank you both for your detailed answers.
Alwayssmile, what do you mean by contamination? Is it due to the leak? It would be great if you can elaborate over PM.
gruffalo

[quote="families living in just their living rooms because other bedrooms were and are so contaminated
[/quote]

Sorry, what? I am aware that I do not live there, nor am I planning on moving there but this is a very strange thing to seeminly just mention and move on.

Could we get some more context?
You know it’s cold outside when you go outside and it’s cold.
Always smile

Hi, I seen the post about someone wanting to buy an apartment in The Gallery and asking what it was like, therefore felt I had to say exactly what these apartments are like as I actually have lived there,
I do not find it strange that I told the truth about contamination, I believe people have a right to know what they are buying, I said exactly what I know and did not leave it at that and just “move on” as you put it

I elaborated through PM to this person as I believe it was the right thing to do considering they are looking to purchase, you have said you don’t/haven’t lived in these apartments and you don’t intend to, you have no worries then
dlndd

Thank you 'always smile' for your detailed explanation over the PM.
I cannot send a private message since I am a new member but wanted to thank here.
Sunny

Always smile wrote: 20 Feb 2023, 23:32 Hi, I seen the post about someone wanting to buy an apartment in The Gallery and asking what it was like, therefore felt I had to say exactly what these apartments are like as I actually have lived there,
I do not find it strange that I told the truth about contamination, I believe people have a right to know what they are buying, I said exactly what I know and did not leave it at that and just “move on” as you put it

I elaborated through PM to this person as I believe it was the right thing to do considering they are looking to purchase, you have said you don’t/haven’t lived in these apartments and you don’t intend to, you have no worries then
I too lived in the Gallery and while there were problems like there are in nearly all apartment complexes, they were nothing like you say. You don't even seem to understand the difference between Management Agents and the Management Company. Every complex changes management agents on a regular basis as they chase better value for their fees. The Management Company is the owners. So I presume you were on the Board of Directors that every owner is entitled to be on so you helped sort all these issues? Or if you rented and were living in your living room, I presume you reported your landlord?

My advice to the OP is to make up your own mind. Get a good survey done on any apartment you are looking to buy if you decide to go down that road. Go in with your eyes open and ask questions. Same can be said about buying any apartment or house.
gruffalo

Always smile wrote: 20 Feb 2023, 23:32 Hi, I seen the post about someone wanting to buy an apartment in The Gallery and asking what it was like, therefore felt I had to say exactly what these apartments are like as I actually have lived there,

Sorry, I am not worried about how/why you told somebody something.

I am intrequied though as to your use of the word "contamination" for an appartment in a complex where I meet people from on a regular basis. Am I exposing myself and my family to something we should be aware of? Or are you using the word out of context, this is all I am trying to surmise with my reply.
Always smile

No I am not using the word “Contamination” out of context
When there is damp and mould in the home be it house/apartment/flat, you're more likely to have respiratory problems, respiratory infections, allergies or asthma. Damp and mould can also affect the immune system, which it did with my own son being hospitalised through this

Indoor mould is contamination and dangerous because it spreads rapidly, but it's even more dangerous if it's in your bedroom. When you sleep, you spend at least seven hours in your bedroom, and that doesn't include the additional times you spend there when you're awake.

For each apartment, flat or house being rented as a separate unit, the landlord must ensure that the rental property is free from damp and in a proper state of structural repair (internally and externally) Unfortunately some Landlords do nothing or paint over the damp/mould, which of course does not work, a quick paint job does not get rid of this

moulds grow, some (but not all) of them may produce potentially toxic byproducts called mycotoxins under some conditions. Some of these molds are commonly found in moisture-damaged buildings, which unfortunately most apartments in The Gallery are, I too have many friends who live there and are plagued with this problem and have been for many years, and I have personally seen decorators in painting apartment to sell when neighbours moved out only for an elderly person to buy the place , which they did, not knowing the damp was simply painted over so as not to be seen whilst buying

Having been through this while living there, yes we were and many more were and are exposed to this type of contamination, I can only say in my and many more opinions of friends and the people who actually live in The Gallery, it is living there where you would certainly be exposed to this
gruffalo

Always smile wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 20:16 No I am not using the word “Contamination” out of context
When there is damp and mould in the home be it house/apartment/flat, you're more likely to have respiratory problems, respiratory infections, allergies or asthma. Damp and mould can also affect the immune system, which it did with my own son being hospitalised through this

Indoor mould is contamination and dangerous because it spreads rapidly, but it's even more dangerous if it's in your bedroom. When you sleep, you spend at least seven hours in your bedroom, and that doesn't include the additional times you spend there when you're awake.

For each apartment, flat or house being rented as a separate unit, the landlord must ensure that the rental property is free from damp and in a proper state of structural repair (internally and externally) Unfortunately some Landlords do nothing or paint over the damp/mould, which of course does not work, a quick paint job does not get rid of this

moulds grow, some (but not all) of them may produce potentially toxic byproducts called mycotoxins under some conditions. Some of these molds are commonly found in moisture-damaged buildings, which unfortunately most apartments in The Gallery are, I too have many friends who live there and are plagued with this problem and have been for many years, and I have personally seen decorators in painting apartment to sell when neighbours moved out only for an elderly person to buy the place , which they did, not knowing the damp was simply painted over so as not to be seen whilst buying

Having been through this while living there, yes we were and many more were and are exposed to this type of contamination, I can only say in my and many more opinions of friends and the people who actually live in The Gallery, it is living there where you would certainly be exposed to this
OMG! You are just talking about mould?! Each to their own, each to their own.
cmajorsolo

@dlndd, Hello. I have been living in The Gallery for almost 5 years. Absolutely love it. You get more greens in this community than in the newly built ones. People are nice and easygoing. I live across from an apt which is rented out, haven't got any issues with the residents. I had a leak in my bedroom, and got it fixed by an engineer hired by the management company. There was no mould in my apt even when the leak was there. I guess it was because I regularly open my windows and let the air flow. I am not sure what is happening in the other apt mentioned above, there could be various reasons(condensation, leaks, etc ) that caused the unfortunate situation there. Regarding the new building beside the community, I heard that it would be 4 or 5 stories(I might be wrong here). If you are buying an apt facing the new building, you might need to consider the light or view. I would suggest talking with the neighbours when you are viewing the apts. You might get more precise information.
Always smile

You’re reply : “OMG YOUR JUST TALKING ABOUT MOULD”

I’m assuming you don’t have much else to say on the subject, well …… it is quite simple really

Yes, I am “just talking about mould” as you put it , because mould IS contamination, therefore I have not used the word “contamination” out of context like you say

Each to their own 😄
gruffalo

Always smile wrote: 06 Mar 2023, 20:30 You’re reply : “OMG YOUR JUST TALKING ABOUT MOULD”

I’m assuming you don’t have much else to say on the subject, well …… it is quite simple really

Yes, I am “just talking about mould” as you put it , because mould IS contamination, therefore I have not used the word “contamination” out of context like you say

Each to their own 😄
I have no idea about your personal exposure to mold and how to deal with it and neither you have to mine but I will say this, your reaction to it in my personal opinion is way over the top.

Mold can be easily cleaned off, it can be prevented as well but maybe you do not have the abilty to do that or maybe do not see it as your responsibilty, hence, each to their own.