Anti Social Behaviour

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Sunny

I am involved in enough local sports clubs to know that the vast vast amount of teenagers in Donabate are super kids who take real pride in themselves and their community. Unfortunately, there continues to be a minority and I am going to say mainly school age boys who seem to be wandering the streets up to and after midnight during this mid term and every weekend causing trouble. What exactly do parents think their kids of school going age are up to when they are hanging around at that hour on dark winter nights. Do they think their love of dark hoodies are simply a fashion statement?
I think most people would have seen what happened with the poor Indian restaurant over Halloween with fireworks. That's not to mention a kid being hit by a firework and numerous reports of stolen bikes. An elderly neighbour of mine has had her house targeted for the past few weeks by a couple of young teenagers. I have been over to the guards a couple of times and I have been able to provide video footage. They are really supportive and they are really eager to catch them but they are limited in what they can do. I can't blame them for that.
We can debate the lack of a Garda station and lack of resources etc until the cows come home but there is also a responsibility on parents in this area to start showing an interest in their kids. Stop thinking 'My Johnny wouldn't be involved with all that stuff'. Stop letting them roam the streets at 11/12pm when you know that have no business in being out at that hour.
I understand that a lot of parents will read this and go 'kids will be kids' and that's fine. You will never accept that there is an issue until your child hurts someone and is up in Court and even then you probably won't care anyway..
But I think the majority of kids causing trouble come from decent homes where parents do care and would be horrified if they found out their kids were involved in anti social behaviour. All I am asking is that you start taking an interest and asking questions about what exactly your child is up to when out at this hour.........
BateBoy

Yeah fully agree that "little Johnny" will never be the one to blame, unfortunately,. little Johnny is also the one who is telling his parents that he was down in little Billy's house and they were just playing FIFA when in actual fact they are setting wheelie bins on fire, firing rockets at peoples houses, trying to do a wheelie through SuperValu on their bike (which unfortunately led to little Johnny hurting his testicles quite badly when I accidently slipped and kicked his back wheel causing him to crash onto his crossbar much to my amusement - the poor little mite.

I saw a man challenge a group of girls one of whom had thrown an empty coffee cup on the ground, he asked her to pick it up and she did, as soon as he walked away she threw it out on the path again, he returned and asked her to have some pride in where she lived and not to treat the village like a halting site - at this point another woman came out of the pub and attacked this man, calling him a 'pedo' and to leave those girls alone that they were doing no harm.

Bring back Lugs Brannigan.