Coppala Cabins insulation

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Donabate User

Hi Folks,
Thinking of getting a Coppala cabin for working from home. Big thing is insulation as with rising energy costs don't fancy having to fork out for electric heating on all day. I was wondering has anyone hear any experience and how they found them for heating / insulaton?
I see they do 100 ml rockwool as wall insulation, but wondering from people who have any experience how this worked out
Thanks a mill
Cathal

We’ve one, first off, it’s the best thing we ever bought, have had it 4-5 years now, it’s the cheaper one that doesn’t come with insulation, I done a self build and when I was building it I added 50mm floor insulation, but after about a month realised I needed roof insulation as during sun it was too hot and was loosing all the heat in the night out the roof, so I added 50mm to the roof too, been working out there for 2 years, I’d various different heaters in there over the years but in October installed electric underfloor heating, it definitely wouldn’t be the most energy efficient way of heating it but it keeps the temp consistent and I get to maximise the space, I think wall mounted oil filled rad would have been a more energy efficient option and I may add one of those to complement the underfloor heating at some stage, screw fix have some nice smart ones, expect to pay €400 for a decent one with smart controls.
I reckon we used about €30/month to heat in the colder months like Jan/Feb and that’s pretty much halved in March, and even less so far this month, I think it’ll be off by the end of this month. With wall insulation I think you’d be using half or even a 1/3 of the electricity I use., just make sure there is also roof insulation.
As they’re made of wood and it contracts depending on weather you will need to adjust the door hinges slightly in winter summer to prevent drafts and making it open/close smoother.
The one thing ours lacks is ventilation, I will be adding a vent that will open by solar in the day and close at night.
Donabate User

Great stuff. Really interesting.
Vlad the Impaler

A lot of people getting them recently.

Claire Byrne has a lot to answer for.
Cathal

Vlad the Impaler wrote: 13 Apr 2022, 15:17 A lot of people getting them recently.

Claire Byrne has a lot to answer for.
She’s on commission