Fireworks Season - Please talk to your teenagers

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
idaok

Hi

It's fireworks season again and I'm asking any parents here to please talk to your teenagers. Yesterday we almost were hit by a firework being thrown in a field and last night there were kids throwing fireworks in the green. I don't think any of this is being done maliciously but I do think they are hyping themselves up and being incredibly stupid.

I'm not sure if the best option is scaring them straight or something else but they need to be educated on the dangers and how to do it properly. I wouldn't even try and stop it from happening but just guide them to do it carefully so they don't injure themselves or anyone else. I see them holding them while lighting them, then throwing them - that's 2 stupid things in one go - then they're also walking as they do it, so that's 3 stupid things. It's mostly bravado and boredom, a dangerous mix.

It's easy to find news stories & videos if you search for fireworks injuries (Ireland or worldwide) so I won't post any here as they're very unpleasant and possibly unnecessary.

Please talk to your teenagers about how to do this safely.

Thanks.