Forum Update

Suggestions for improving the site such as adding new forums
Ken
Site Admin

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for your support to date.

When I started the forum nine years ago, the running costs were low. Besides time, there was an annual payment for the URL and hosting of approx. €50. Like everything else, these costs have risen over the years and the bill for the next year over €100 for the same service.

In order to contribute to offsetting these costs, I have added advertising to the forum. The goal is to make this as unobtrusive as possible, but hopefully it will raise a small amount of revenue to contribute to running costs. If you click on the odd ad, you will be supporting the forum :D .

In order to facilitate the advertising, I've made some changes at the back end. The URL for the site previously defaulted to www.donabateportrane.net/phpbb. The phpbb has now been removed. If you have bookmarked a link to the site, you may need to edit it to remove the phpbb otherwise you will get an error.

Any feedback or suggestions are welcome as always.
Regards,

Ken.
AindriuB

Have you considered putting up a donations page to help cover the cost of IT infrastructure? Do you need any help with the technical administration of the site?
Ken
Site Admin

I think we're fine on the technical front. Not much to do bar the occasional forum software or extension update which is manageable.

I did consider the donation route, but felt advertising was easier and hopefully less hassle.
Regards,

Ken.
idaok

Hi Ken

Thanks for all you have done, the site is really great to have. Donations are probably more hassle than they're worth but also might be worth a try. If you can see the traffic then you'll know whether you would get enough unique people to donate either €10 x 10 people or €5 x 20 people.

Thanks again, much appreciated!
Matsugawa

Why not try a gofundme page instead? I’d rather pay a fiver than have the adverts. They won’t stop me using the site but you never know.
Kimbo

Agree with other people here! I'd be more than happy to donate to keep it ad-free although adverts definitely won't stop me using the forum...