Broadband

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
pat mustard

Anyone near Somerton have fast broadband?

Fibre to the Home pref.

"up to 1gb..."

https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-tv-broad ... -freetime/

is 500mb more realistic?
Mo Kapav

I live in The Links and have 500 MB from Virgin. ... up to 1000 is available..
Johnny Onion Ring

I posted the below back in March if it helps.

Re: Internet / Broadband
Post 24 Mar 2021, 16:15

Recently had the 1gb installed in Carrs Mill via Sky for 55eur pm.

The max speed wireless was approx 500mbs but was very rare I'd see that, on average it was a steady 200/250mbs with a samsung S20 plus.
Hard wired with the latest cable and a powerful device I was getting max 700mps.

After discussing with Sky, getting a new router and going through over a week of testing there was no improvement and the line hosts (think they said EIR) said it was on my end.

I dropped down to the 500mps package for 40eur pm and I get the same speeds via wireless 200/250mps and 500+ wired.

Make of that what you will but just in case it can help someone else.
I know in Carrs Mill we've had useless BB for many years so this was very much welcomed, just a shame the 1gb didn't work.
Not that I need that much bandwidth but a nice to have :-D
Ann O
Site Admin

Not near Somerton, but our experience has been similar to Mr Onion Ring :lol:

We have the 1GB fibre option from Eir, all connecting wirelessly we get anything from 250 to 700 depending on closeness to modem or device, the older laptops don't get as good a speed as the newer devices, but probably due to hardware on the older equipment. Haven't tried hardwired connection to the modem, so don't know if we'd get nearer to the 1gb that way, but what we're getting is good enough for us and has been very stable so far.

From speaking to others, the 500mb option does seem to offer pretty much the same as the 1gb offer for many people.
cbc

Thank you for this info - i've been tempted with the EIR 1GB offer at the moment but it looks like i'd be getting same as my current Virgin 500MB package. Only thing makes me lean towards EIR is the price fixed for 24 months so no game of cat&mouse needing to cancel to get a better price after 12 months when the price doubles.
pat mustard

Thanks all, DonaPortranners !