Insect Bites

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
golden

Hi all,

Have never really been one to get insect bites, even mosquitos when abroad tend to leave me alone.

In the last two weeks though I've had a number of fairly big, itchy bites that look very like mosquito bites while I've been out and about.

Fairly new to the area so wondering if anybody has any idea about local insects - maybe coming off the estuary? - that might be responsible as I've been doing a bit of work in the garden.
Josephine

Hi, a few years back there were some pretty nasty large mosquitoes across the Estuary in Malahide? Maybe it’s those!
pat mustard

those fekn malahide mosquitoes are deffo back , have one on the shin and wrist, itchy alert :D . Never got bitten in all the places abroad we've been.
Matsugawa

Yes, they’re mosquitos. Some people have a hard time believing we have mosquitoes in Ireland but yes, we do. Lots here, especially near Ballymastone where there is lots of marshy land. Eaten alive there some nights. I use Insect repellent (when I remember) if going down there.
Austy

Greatest excuse to drink more gin and tonics.
Galleryman

I had the exact same thing happen me about three weeks ago cutting some ivy in the garden - huge bites on my hand and wrist that swelled up - quite unsettling, I thought it was a spider to be honest that got me as they seem to love the ivy at this time of year. When I got cream in the pharmacy they said there were lots of people coming in all over the peninsula with similar bites :?