Sidewalk on Turvey avenue / R126 Portrane Road Enhancement Project

Lus72

I Just wished to share the response from Fingal County Council regarding the lack of a continuous sidewalk on Turvey Av.
I had first enquired about this last year and the project should have been completed this autumn. This is now postponed until around March 2022...

Thank you for your query on the Turvey Avenue Enhancement Project.
The project, which will involve the construction of a 2 metre wide footpath along the northern side of the road, has progressed through the public consultation, planning and initial design stages.
The Council had expected to be in a position to procure a construction company earlier this year with a view to commencing work on site during the Summer. However, this timetable had to be postponed due to the introduction of restrictions aimed at curbing the spread of COVID-19.
In addition to works on Turvey Avenue, the Council is also proposing works on another road in Donabate as part of a project called the R126 Portrane Road Enhancement Project. Due to the close proximity of these two projects to one another and the similar nature of the works, and in order to achieve economies of scale and best value for public money, the two projects will be tendered together as one package of works.
The public consultation and planning approval stage of the R126 Portrane Road Enhancement Project will commence on 15th September and is expected to be completed in December 2020. Finalisation of detailed design, land acquisition processes and preparation of tender documentation will then be need to be completed before a construction company can be appointed to commence work on site.
The Council expects to procure a construction company next summer and estimates that it will take approximately 8 months to complete the works on Turvey Avenue and Portrane Road.
TheBlowIn

That's a ridiculous response from FCC. If the two path projects are in separate locations, what economies of scale do they expect to get? And if there are economies, what's to stop the Turvey path being piggy-backed onto any other similar project in Fingal, considering the planning is already in place?

It just smacks of laziness and lack of urgency. The Turvey path has been an issue for years, there's now an opportunity to fix it, and it isn't being taken.
Vlad the Impaler

Another issue is lack of maintenance on existing footpaths.

The path further down the Portrane Road gets severely overgrown as does the path down to Donabate beach.

It makes the existing path less than a meter of usable space, forcing people onto the road to pass.
SMcDermott

JUst curious is there any date for when the final design will be published. Also will there be any progress reported on needed land acquisition?
Lus72

From what FCC said, I guess between December 2020 and spring 2021. If you wish, I can give you the email of the person that replied to me on this issue? Just PM me if so.
Lus72

Last update from Fingal County Council, received last week: looking at Feb 2023 at the earliest

Thank you for your query on the Turvey Avenue Enhancement Project.

This project is currently progressing through a land acquisition process, which is required in order for the Council to obtain the lands necessary to construct the new footpath.

In addition to works on Turvey Avenue, the Council is also proposing works on another road in Donabate as part of a project called the R126 Portrane Road Enhancement Project. Due to the close proximity of these two projects to one another and the similar nature of the works, and in order to achieve economies of scale and best value for public money, the two projects will be tendered together as one package of works.

The R126 Portrane Road Enhancement Project has progressed through the public consultation, planning and initial design stages. Detailed design is expected to be completed shortly. At that point, the Council will commence a land acquisition process to obtain the lands necessary to carry out the works.

The land acquisition processes for both projects are expected to be completed in the second quarter of next year, with a construction company to be appointed shortly thereafter.

The Council estimates that it will take approximately 8 months to complete the works on Turvey Avenue and Portrane Road.