Infant with Colic

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Paulo

Hi guys,
Any suggestions on what can help a 4 month old baby with colic?
This started around 3 weeks and has shown no signs of abating since.
We have scoured the internet for info, used colief drops, gripe water, Dentinox, tried baby massage, and a bath before bed.
All have shown signs of improvement in the beginning but each product and treatment has only worked for a short while E.g. a few days before reverting to the original symptoms. In fairness to our little one she generally sleeps well during the night but can scream for hours during the day.
I have read on many websites that colic subsides after 4-5 months but it’s hard to see our little one in so much discomfort.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Junior

Hi
Very hard to cope with such a distressed infant. Try a paediatric osteopath- absolutely worked wonders for us! There is one in malahide village (sorry can’t remember his name though).
Best of luck
Mamal

Heart breaks for you as this is such a difficult time. I drove to Newry, Got Gripe water in Boots and the little one calmed down within a few days. It was a miracle.
Paulo

Thanks for the replies guys.
I'll look into the paediatric osteopath, worth a try as we have tried virtually everything else at this stage.

Really appreciate the help.
Beenthere

Heart goes out to you too. Nuala in the chemists opposite the Girls school gave me chamomile drops for my youngest it was the only thing that worked. Might be worth a try?
Vlad the Impaler

Yeah, gripe water - as mentioned above.
Gmlive

Might be worth changing the formula as I found some are thicker and harder to digest. Also I found I was giving too many ounces of formula in one feed. When on solids I reduced down the liquid bottles and this really helped as its just the sheer quantity of liquid is just too much for some babies tummies. Hope it improves soon.
Jabba

Our oldest suffered from Colic as well - although a good few years ago
We changed the bottles to Dr, Browns bottles and they helped
I did a quick google and they still are relatively available in chemists
Boo

Hi
As a previous poster mentioned might be worth looking again at the formula choice - 2 of my brothers kids were lactose intolerant, and a change in formula made a huge difference. For my own kids I used the Dr Brown bottles as the design reduces the amount of air taken in with each swallow - might have just been coincidence but they didn’t seem to suffer with colic.
Hope things work out for you soon - very tough on all when little ones so upset.
Cat73

Hi there... I too had a daughter who suffered with colic so I feel your pain. I used the Dr Brown's bottle.. Tried the drops.. Changed formula etc.. The one huge improvement I got was I took my daughter to as Osteopath (Jennifer Murphy - Haven Therapy in Swords) just beyond Airside.

There was a noticeable difference after one session and she had about three sessions in total.

Best of luck.