Corona Virus

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Defcom

So as your all awear we're on the cusp of a massive change in ireland and the rest of the world also. Finally the Government have decided to act, with shutdowns of schools and colleges, but today I noticed some people in donabate are treating this shutdown like it's some kind of holiday. Gangs of teens in the village and kids on greens playing, to the parents of these young people SHAME ON YOU, your putting peoples lives at risk, what is it you don't understand about how serious this is, we just can not take chances, if this takes hold on the peninsula we will be in full lockdown. Please dont use other peoples lives in your game of roulette, bring the kids in don't let them gather. I'll say it again if your child is out and about in the village or out playing in the greens then SHAME ON YOU. For the rest of us please have the strength to stand up and speak your mind.
Lavidolas

We have lots of elderly and immunocompromised folks living alone in the community who will need support and someone looking out for them even if it is just a phone call to check in on them. Look out for your neighbours. Be safe. Be sensible. Keep calm. We can get through this together.
Spider

Well said Defcom. I'm appalled at the irresponsibility of some parents. Kids out playing on our green today and teens hanging around. It's beyond selfish.
diggerbarnes

Mixed messages ...

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0313/11220 ... nt-appeal/

Were we saying shame on people 24 hours ago when we were sending our kids into school? Shame on teachers? Shame on customers with kids in Supervalu? We've had the same information about the virus for weeks.
Defcom

Department of health making no sense in that interview it's either let kids mix or not there's no middle ground. And as for this message there putting out, 5 kids together is ok but 10 is to many, the virus cant count its just a game of chance, remember it all started with just one person. In many ways the gov is doing a great job but some of its messaging is atrocious.
Mugwump

diggerbarnes wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 00:53 Mixed messages ...

Were we saying shame on people 24 hours ago when we were sending our kids into school? Shame on teachers? Shame on customers with kids in Supervalu? We've had the same information about the virus for weeks.
Nonsense. It’s been an evolving situation re rate of infection here. The government have held off on tough measures until the professionals have said they’re necessary. It’s unfortunate that this logic is now being used as an argument against following their advice by people.

Have a look at the horror show unfolding in Italy - everyone from there is saying this phase we’re in is so important in mitigating the number of deaths

You know well that having kids out makes the closing of schools less effective and that this is just lazy, irresponsible parenting and mé Féin-ism from teenagers whose generation were professing to care so much about societal issues at climate protests a few months ago.
Spider

Mugwump wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 03:21
diggerbarnes wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 00:53 Mixed messages ...

Nonsense. It’s been an evolving situation re rate of infection here. The government have held off on tough measures until the professionals have said they’re necessary. It’s unfortunate that this logic is now being used as an argument against following their advice by people.

Have a look at the horror show unfolding in Italy - everyone from there is saying this phase we’re in is so important in mitigating the number of deaths

You know well that having kids out makes the closing of schools less effective and that this is just lazy, irresponsible parenting and mé Féin-ism from teenagers whose generation were professing to care so much about societal issues at climate protests a few months ago.
I agree. People are looking for excuses for their irresponsible, selfish behaviour.
estuarine

Sorry but it is way too easy, and predictable, to go around bashing kids on this one. I've been around the village too and the worst infringements I've seen have been among people well old enough to know better.

I took a good walk between about 3 and 4 yesterday afternoon. Paddypower was thronged with Cheltenham on and there was certainly no social distancing in evidence as I looked in the door. Just before that, I passed Keelings where there was the usual assembly of people smoking at the door of the bar. It was pretty clear the bar itself was busy. Ah sure you wouldn't miss Cheltenham like!

Then this morning I was in Supervalu at 8am - deliberately in to get my few groceries at a quiet time. As I was at the self-service checkout, a woman who might best be referred to as a well-known local character came in and went to show some obviously vitally important photos to two staff members at the staffed till in the next lane. There was no attempt at social distancing there. I was looking on aghast. These are staff members who will go on to interact with the public today and throughout this crisis. So if we're going to play the game of calling out our neighbours, let's focus on the example being set by the grown-ups in the room. By the way, I believe Keelings was busy enough last night too - maybe you were there.
Defcom

Estuarine when the deathtoll begins and it will, you'll thank the people that took this serious, the clowns in the bookies and in the pub well there old enough to know better, kids and teens on the other hand are not old enough to fully grasp the situation hence it's up to there parents to show propper guildence.
pat mustard

We should set up a Subject on jokes and funny stuff to keep us sane. nothing about CV19 or panic loons or anything negative, just crap stoopid stuff. I will be wfh for a month with the missus doing the same for 3 weeks. we're putting any dangerous weapons in a safe.
cancelled holiday also. jayz. its all crazy.
:D :lol: :roll:
Paulo

You can guarantee that there will be a surge in infection numbers after Tuesday. Aside from not being able to resist a party we do not like to be told what to do in this country. House parties will be rampant on Monday and Tuesday and infections will rise exponentially.
Sunny

Since when was it decided that kids are responsible for the spread of this virus. Yes, kids should not hang around in numbers. And it is irresponsible to allow it. But I have heard people saying they are not letting their kids outside the door. Like this will be over in two weeks or something. Meanwhile the adults are free to use buses, trains, go to work, pub, restaurant, airport, train station, shopping centres whenever they like.

We might well get to the stage where we all need to stay in and lock their doors but I have heard two people say it is ridiculous that a mother brought their child to supervalu while the two idiots stood less than a metre apart, holding two shopping baskets and then touch each other when saying goodbye.

My 6 year old has better hygiene habits than myself and most adults. They are taught how to cough and sneeze and taught how to wash their hands. I wish adults were the same. Amount of stuff I saw on trains last week would make you sick. My 6 year old has had school cancelled, all her activities, her holiday, her birthday and cant visit her grannies. She wont be taking part in any mass gatherings but we have arranged with a couple of families for small playdates of 2-3 children for the moment. It is hard enough and it will get harder without making children out to be lepers.
Sunny

By the way, stay safe everyone.
Ken
Site Admin

The local WhatsApp group was something special last night :shock: .
Regards,

Ken.
diggerbarnes

How so Ken? Not on it
Ken
Site Admin

diggerbarnes wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 10:49 How so Ken? Not on it
A discussion went on for most of the evening. Some good information, but also had a lot of the rumour mis-information that's going around on social media.
Regards,

Ken.
Beenthere

If anyone is interested there is a local Facebook page created by Donabate Village to help out any elderly/self isolating people.
Defcom

Sunny kids aren't lepers you used that word nobody else.
Derek

Is that WhatsApp group and that Donabate Village Facebook group run the same people or person?
Eoghanaldo

Hi everyone, away from all the to-ing and fro-ing about people in the wrong and right, I'd echo above about maybe being a bit more focused on the elderly or immunocompromised. Home place in Mayo are circulating the little form below in the letterbox of these people who may need some assistance as we go. Pulling together, regardless of what may happen, will be far more impactful long after this dies down.
IMG-20200315-WA0018.jpg
midsomermurderer

I have close family in Northern Italy with whom we are in contact everyday.

Ignore the importance of social distancing at your peril. The two key messages coming from Italian doctors on the front line are:

1) This is not "just a flu" -

2) This is not an "older persons' illness - evidenced by young people in their 20s, 30s, 40s being intubated and on ventilators for bilateral interstitial pneumonia.

Stay at home as much as possible. If you can work from home do it. Keep your kids inside as much as possible and if you do go out stay within your family group/household. It's not a question of stopping this virus but slowing down the infection rate so our health service can try and cope. This buys us time while effective antivirals come to light and a vaccination is trialed.

Behave at all times as if you already have the virus and you don't want others to get it.

This is a conversation you do not want to be having in years to come:
"Remember the time you didn't take the coronavirus seriously...and you killed granny."

#FlattenTheCurve
Pip

Hi all. Could I appeal to all parents of teenage boys. To talk to them about spitting on the street. I saw three lads today walking in the village and each one spat twice as they were chatting and walking. They were just young lads that had a bad habit. I'm sure they were not aware of what they were doing. My concern is for people with buggies and wheelchair users. And also on people's shoes entering their homes. We all need to do our best to keep each other safe. Thanks.
Defcom

Pip the real question is why is there 3 young lads mixing and strolling around the village for Christ Sake. Same in Beresford kids everywhere out on bikes running about the place.
patsman

Around 12 young lads congretating at the entrance to supervalu this evening. In fairnesss when i asked them they moved aside and one of them was apologetic . But it just shows the message is not getting through to them . This was just after the announcement that there were 191 new cases today. Will parents emphasise to their teenagers how important social distancing is and tell them not to hang around in groups.
Mr. Stupid

And unfortunately it is this type of attitude that will mean lock down is inevitable,
Some people just don't listen.