144 New apartments on Turvey

aoifey

new planning application gone up, straight to an bord pleanala.

details here turveyavenueshd.ie

i suggest everyone has a read and make their own mind up. also ask yourself why it is being called 'strategic'

first thing that stood out for me was in the 'community and social infrastructure audit report' that they provide along with the application. amongst many other things it states the following:

"It is important to mention that significant investment in services over the
period 2010-2019 is such that there is now significant infrastructure in
place to accommodate the anticipated and planning increase in residential
dwellings and population growth in Donabate. Such investments included:"

and it goes on to further say
Essentially, Donabate now has all the required services to facilitate the
increase in residential dwellings and indeed can serve the residential
apartments proposed as part of the current application.

these planning companies would be great at writing fiction.
so we have sufficient infrastructure?
trains are already at capacity with no plans in the short to medium term to increase.
water is going off every two weeks or so.
we have one supermarket. a couple of bookies. and a couple of small shops.
and infrastructure is in place and ok? seriously?

and this from a planning company that is run by locals.

anyway judge this for yourself and make your own conclusions.
i know at least one person who won't be objecting with any great/real conviction to this
Spider

I think it we all know who won't be objecting. Planning is out of control in Donabate. Nobody in FCC cares what happens here and our local "reps" don't seem to care either.
luckycat007

Agreed sci-fi is correct. Infrastructure is not in place you support substantial new development in Donabate.
pat mustard

aoifey wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 09:33 new planning application gone up, straight to an bord pleanala.

details here turveyavenueshd.ie

i suggest everyone has a read and make their own mind up. also ask yourself why it is being called 'strategic'

first thing that stood out for me was in the 'community and social infrastructure audit report' that they provide along with the application. amongst many other things it states the following:

"It is important to mention that significant investment in services over the
period 2010-2019 is such that there is now significant infrastructure in
place to accommodate the anticipated and planning increase in residential
dwellings and population growth in Donabate. Such investments included:"

and it goes on to further say
Essentially, Donabate now has all the required services to facilitate the
increase in residential dwellings and indeed can serve the residential
apartments proposed as part of the current application.

these planning companies would be great at writing fiction.
so we have sufficient infrastructure?

trains are already at capacity with no plans in the short to medium term to increase.
water is going off every two weeks or so.
we have one supermarket. a couple of bookies. and a couple of small shops.
and infrastructure is in place and ok? seriously?

and this from a planning company that is run by locals.

anyway judge this for yourself and make your own conclusions.
i know at least one person who won't be objecting with any great/real conviction to this
we're back to the bad ole days, within 10 years, what a goldfish mentality we operate under, Incredible.
Séamus Mac Brádaigh

This is a very positive development for Donabate. Great to see local planners, Downey Planning, coming up with the right scheme for the right location. The reduced parking to encourage the future residents of the apartments to use public transport is also very welcome and shows good forward planning. I hope the people of Donabate get behind this scheme. We have had enough bad planning out here. It's time we showed our support when a good scheme is designed.
Fr Jack

Séamus Mac Brádaigh wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 20:09 This is a very positive development for Donabate. Great to see local planners, Downey Planning, coming up with the right scheme for the right location. The reduced parking to encourage the future residents of the apartments to use public transport is also very welcome and shows good forward planning. I hope the people of Donabate get behind this scheme. We have had enough bad planning out here. It's time we showed our support when a good scheme is designed.
Obviously a lackey of a certain councillor.
aoifey

Fr Jack wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 22:44
Séamus Mac Brádaigh wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 20:09 This is a very positive development for Donabate. Great to see local planners, Downey Planning, coming up with the right scheme for the right location. The reduced parking to encourage the future residents of the apartments to use public transport is also very welcome and shows good forward planning. I hope the people of Donabate get behind this scheme. We have had enough bad planning out here. It's time we showed our support when a good scheme is designed.
Obviously a lackey of a certain councillor. Go and Shite.
i have a feeling seamus is being sarcastic based on his previous posts!
Resident19

Hi Aoifey

Thanks for bringing this issue to people's attention.

Elchior Construction's proposal to build 144 units, in 5 storey blocks, on a 1 hectare plot, is beyond ridiculous...

https://www.turveyavenueshd.ie/

To put this into perspective, The Gallery currently has 194 units on a 3 hectare plot. So to say its going to be crowded is an understatement.  

Parking/traffic will be chaotic. The proposed apartments will overshadow The Gallery apartments, which stand at 3.5 storeys, blocking light in certain units, and so will impact people's quality of life.

It is not known as yet if these are going to be private, social or mixed.

A development of this scale on such a small piece of land, shouldn't be allowed to go ahead.

I would urge Gallery owners/residents, and people in the surrounding area directly affected by this, to raise their objection to this development.

Unfortunately An Bord Pleanala will only accept postal submissions, and they charge €20 for the pleasure....

Closing date for submissions has been extended to 30 April to allow for postal delays.

https://bit.ly/34q8jfq - see P.6 for how to make a submission
Last edited by Resident19 on 20 Apr 2020, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
jayflame

I don't think people living in The Gallery realise that during winter months, they will get no direct sunlight on a cloudless day as the sun will be behind the 5 floor buildings.
It's bad enough with the suspected construction entrance at the unmarked crossing on Turvey Ave.
It's going to wreck the area with trucks coming and going

Am I the only person that thinks of Donabate & Portrane as rural towns and should not have high density populations?

Remember, this peninsular is a magnet during warm/hot summer months, attracting many visitors and causing high congestion.
BUT, there is sufficient infrastructure - really.
I just cycled around the whole peninsular and didn't see anything that could handle a high density population that would commute into Dublin and surrounding towns, let alone the current population.
The bypass hasn't changed things much, there are still bottle necks and accident black-spots.
Resident19

I don't think people living in The Gallery realise that during winter months, they will get no direct sunlight on a cloudless day as the sun will be behind the 5 floor buildings.
It's bad enough with the suspected construction entrance at the unmarked crossing on Turvey Ave.
It's going to wreck the area with trucks coming and going
Yes, agreed. I don't think residents and owners are aware of the impact of this on The Gallery.

People must raise their objections to this and get it blocked...
PC2020

Hi there

But surely development of 2 idle sites covered in this development is to be welcomed? How many more years do we have to look at derelict sites beside the train station and on Turvey Avenue? I understand there will be a badly needed retail unit/shop with the development

Thanks
albert

Personally I think that space should be made into parking spaces for the train station - if our population is to hit 25,000 then surely some of the new residents will have some mobility issues and need parking at station.

Parking seems to be at capacity already.
Vlad the Impaler

As long as it’s not social housing, I say bring it on.

Lots of young people working in town need somewhere to live.

Just need to bump up the train service.
Resident19

I welcome redevelopment of these two plots, as they are an eyesore, but only if done in a sustainable and sympathetic way.

By which I mean, not cramming five storey blocks into a tiny space, thus impacting the quality of life and blocking light for many Gallery residents....