WHAT WENT WRONG IN THE VILLAGE LAST NIGHT

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
lofty

What is going on in Donabate and Portrane!!!, a burst water mains brings a village to a halt for hours it's just ridiculous. It is not that burst water or power down is an isolated incident the place is obviously creaking with all the changes and the amount of incidents. I know the various agencies have different budgets but Donabate and Portrane area has given levies to Fingal over 10 million as was published we cannot be expected to put up with this sub standard living and no investment in infrastructure. I know we got a new road but that is a central government plan to facilitate the enormity of the future population to come (bigger than Athlone).

As someone said last night on FB it is 3rd world traffic management when we have a problem.

Attention suits, get off your asses and do something for a change, be relevant not bland.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
aoifey

my own completely unqualified opinion is that there is too much pressure on the system with all the new housing being built. At a guess I would say that when a planning application goes in, Irish Water generally just say yeah all is grand, but I would question have they actually done any capacity studies to determine if all is actually grand.

if it is true that there isnt enough capacity, then Irish Water, FCC and An Bord Pleanala need to be held to account. But of course firstly I doubt we will be told that there is too much pressure on the system and secondly as they are state/semi-state bodies no one will actually be held to account anyway.

having said all that, the big problem with the outage the last couple of days is that they didnt send anyone to start working on it until the following morning. Questions have to be asked why.

as for the traffic. time and time again on this peninsula we have experienced severe traffic delays due to road works because the people doing the road works use temporary traffic lights and dont take into account the sequence. It would have been simple to avoid yet again they chose the wrong option.

Again, I feel that our politicians are too afraid to ask the hard questions and want to be all nicey nicey with the relevant people instead of demanding an answer. They will post on facebook how hard they have been working on the issue and all their usual supporters will tell them how wonderful they are, but in reality, instead of insisting on solutions, we see the same issues occuring time and time again.
alkaline

One delay too much for me. Having had several great years here, we've decided to move on, we've been actively considering moving for a year now, but expedited lately as Donabate/Portane is bursting at the seams in every way.
Traffic, Trains, Schools, Creches, Utilities, Policing. Literally everything is under so much stress.

We've had countless power cuts, water cuts, etc, way above what is considered normal and acceptable. I'd love to have kept track of them all.

The distributor road is to open land up for housing first and foremost and a traffic relief road second.

I am fortunate enough to have a bit of value in my house, Now is right for me to use it.

One of my neighbours is with Dublin Corpo Water Division. Apparently This is a new pipe, burst after approx 12 months in the ground, what kind of suppliers are Irish Water using.
Séamus Mac Brádaigh

You are right, Lofty. The problem here is that development has overtaken the ability of the infrastructure to cope with it and as you point out, what we have seen so far is only the tip of the development iceberg with the population about to double in size to over 20,000 people is the next few years.

The only money which is being invested in infrastructure is in order to allow more housing "units" to be built. The new Half Road to Nowhere is a classic example. It is of no use to anyone living here and its only purpose is to open up more development lands.

It is the same with the water infrastructure. They have laid a new water pipe down the Half Road to Nowhere which, in theory, is the good thing, right? Again, the only purpose of this new water pipe is to allow more housing "units" to be built. The rest of us are left with substandard and antiquated water and electricity systems. No money will be spent on fixing that and we just have to get used to the reality that electricity and water cuts are going to happen on a monthly basis.
lofty

And to add to it the road surface they dug up is now like the West Indies (no disrespect to the lovely WI but surfaces are terrible there). GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Mr. Stupid

Well think the problems here are obvious. Donabate has a bottle neck from the hump back bridge down to St. Pats.
Anything goes wrong and then it's "Who's your Mamma?"

Of course, planners at fault. The distributor road should help but it is a bit of scam. It will increase houses and population and therefore a new bottle neck will exist between where it merges with Hearse and the slip road to M1.

That section needs to be upgraded to a dual carriage way with bike lanes, It would mean you need to CPO a lot of that field. But that's how make a place inhabitable for 22,000 people.
Fr Jack

The watermain is at maximum pressure to cope with the demand to Donabate. This WILL burst again. Irish water are a company in crisis and the personnel are in the main very inexperienced. The main emphasis in Irish Water is cost cutting. Cheap inexperienced contractors (commonly known as chancers) are what is employed. That is the problem. Cheap, cheap cheap.
Ken
Site Admin

If the experience on Beaverstown Road a couple of years ago is anything to go by, it will be fixed and then blow again a few yards further down. The problems on Beaverstown Road started around the time Kingsland was built which suggests it was overload on the system.
Regards,

Ken.
jayflame

What can I say???

They are digging up the same area again.

Anyone know how to reinstate the water pump opposite Supervalu?
Fr Jack

I predicted it last week. Many many more outages to come. Some heads will have to roll for this outrage.
lofty

If people don't complain to Irish Water and other agencies they will think they can get away with this 3rd world behavior.
Pip

COVID-19.
HSE Advice: Ensure you wash hands regularly .

Communication from Fingal Co. Co:
Water outage from 9am to 4pm.

There really are no words. It's a complete mess. Is no one in FCC listening to the people of Donabate / Portrane.

Really how do we get them to sit up and take notice.
bear

We have what we voted in.2 local reps on FCC who spend their time posting about contacting the relevant people and doing F!uck all else. The last poster is right nobody is listening in Fingal and why should they nobody will hold them to account.