Convenient Parking at Community Centre

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Vlad the Impaler

There are some great parking opportunities which offer a convenient means of picking up your little darling from the community centre without leaving your car on these cold dark nights!

1. Disabled parking spaces

It is perfectly fine to use the disabled parking spaces, located in a super location near the front entrance.

If you are able bodied, simply park the car with engine running. This shows you can pull out at a moment's notice if a disabled person gives you a friendly beep!

2. Just slap bang in front of the entrance

Why bother even pulling in? Again, using the 'hot run' technique, simply pull up in front of the entrance. Engine running normally suffices, but sticking on your hazards adds that touch of respect for your fellow parents, allowing them to pull around you. Give a little smile and wave!

Next week... Parent & Child parking - who needs kids!
Peter V

Very good.

Also, waiting in a disabled parking space at the train station for your fit and able child with the engine of your massive 4x4 running is also fine as long as you are prepared to point out to people who don't agree that "there are plenty of disabled spaces".
If other people are using those then that's not your fault, so it's all good!
Vlad the Impaler

Funnily enough, it was a lady in a massive 4x4 that was parked in the disabled spot at the Community Centre and sparked my little piece of satire.
Scarlett

I dont see the problem with parking in one of the many spaces for disabled at the train station as long as you stay in your car and you are not denying a space to someone who needs it.
Sunny

Why park there at all? To save a 5 yard walk?? Its a disabled space. Doesn't matter if being used or not. Stop being bloody lazy.
Peter V

Scarlett wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 19:52 I dont see the problem with parking in one of the many spaces for disabled at the train station as long as you stay in your car and you are not denying a space to someone who needs it.
Maybe have a think about it.

Despite what you may think, you are not that special. At the very least, those others don't know about your unique specialness, so when you park there: they do too.

Also, there are a lot of people that *really* dislike you for doing it.
Last edited by Peter V on 24 Jan 2020, 01:43, edited 1 time in total.
Peter V

Vlad the Impaler wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 17:07 Funnily enough, it was a lady in a massive 4x4 that was parked in the disabled spot at the Community Centre and sparked my little piece of satire.
I'd say there's a strong correlation between driving a 4x4 and parking in disabled spaces.
Scarlett

For goodness sake grow up! I am talking about parking for a few minutes in a space which is not needed by anyone and surrounded by lots of other empty spaces for disabled.
Jabba

Scarlett wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 15:05 For goodness sake grow up! I am talking about parking for a few minutes in a space which is not needed by anyone and surrounded by lots of other empty spaces for disabled.
I am going to assume that you are just trolling the forum - otherwise I suggest you take a long hard look at what you are saying here !
Pip

Sorry Scarlett I think it maybe you who has to grow up. It's illegal to park in a disabled parking space regardless of how many there are and how many are empty. Unless you have a disabled parking permit. Here is a article from the irish Times.
The fixed charge for motorists who park in spaces for disabled drivers without displaying a valid permit has almost doubled.

Announcing the move on Monday, Minister for Transport Shane Ross said: “In response to the selfish and thoughtless behaviour of certain motorists who think it is alright to park in a disabled bay without a permit, thereby depriving disabled drivers of safe, convenient access to parking spaces reserved for them, I have decided that the fixed charge should be increased from €80 to €150.

“I hope that this increased charge will encourage able-bodied motorists to refrain from taking parking spaces reserved for those who need them.”

The new charge came into effect on March 1st.

If the charge is not paid within 28 days, the penalty rises to €225, to be paid within the following 28 days.
Scarlett

Nope- I am not trolling. Simply think it is okay to sit in my car for a few minutes in a disabled space alongside approximately 20 other empty disabled spaces. In a million years I would not deny a space to someone who needed it.
Pip

It's still illegal to park in a disabled parking space regardless of the reason and it is simply not ok. If everyone thought that way. Where would we be.
Peter V

Scarlett wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 16:23 Simply think it is okay to sit in my car for a few minutes in a disabled space
It's not ok. More importantly it's not for you to decide if it's ok. That's why we have laws: so the selfish and thoughtless don't get to dictate how the rest of us live. Why is this hard for you to understand?
Sunny

And the winner of the most selfish, self absorbed, inconsiderate, laziest person of the year goes to........
Peter V

Yeah, you're the victim.
salokindoc

Idling and parking are different. Leaving a car unattended is a problem but in my mind simply waiting is not an issue. Especially as at the train station there are plenty spaces. I often pull in to drop off my wife and I would give a swift ‘feck off’ if anyone told me off. Also I don’t think that users here have the capacity to bestow the title of most selfish persons in the world as there are 6 billion people and I assume only a tiny percentage use this forum.

However two builders that parked in the family bay at SuperValu tonight in a two seater van without kids is simply selfish and lazy.
Sunny

That doesn't make any sense. First off I never said she was the selfish person in the world. I said she was selfish person of the year which I admit I will only apply to this forum. But that was before I met you. So you 'idle' in a disabled space so your poor able bodied wife wont have to walk the extra 5 metres if even that from a normal space. Well sure as long as her little legs are saved, that's ok.

Also two builders idling in a parent and child space is selfish but that doesn't apply to you in a disabled spot. Pot. Meet kettle.

It's not a difficult rule to obey. You dont park in disabled spots. Whether is for 5 minutes or there are other spaces is irrelevant. So stop being selfish, buy your wife a pair of walking shoes for the extra 5 meter walk and cop on.
Pip

So your basically saying it's ok for you to stop/idle in a disabled parking space, with out a parking permit ( which is illegal ). An God help anyone who might ask you to move. Nice. What a gent. You must be so proud of yourself. Go to the top of the class for your gold star. Then give yourself a big clap on the back. Why !!! Because your worth it. More than anyone else.
Pip

Ok here's a little story.

Let's say there are 5 disabled parking spaces.

Scarlett, Salokindoc, have parked in two of them. Myself and Sunny decide to park in the other 2. Sure where's the harm in that. A disabled driver arrives and the 5th parking space is taking. Perfect, everyone's happy.
Oh no wait another disabled driver has arrived. ( We will call him Tom ). Imagine the chances of that. Two disabled drivers in the same car park, at the same time. Tom drives passed Salokindoc's car and sees there's no permit. He askes him to move. Poor Tom gets a swift feck off from Salokindoc. After all Salokindoc just thought Tom was telling him off. Tom goes off red faced after what just happened. Hoping to find a space that will suit his needs.
Salokindoc and his wife sit in their (idled) car, their nice and warm an having a great old chat.
Oh here comes the train. A quick peck and the wife hops out along with all the other's who have idled in the disabled spaces. Onto the train they go. Perfect everyone's happy.
Oh wait what about Tom. He's still driving arround looking for a space. He notices that Salokindoc has driven away. Perfect Tom now has a place to park and display his parking permit, as is required by law.
Tom would never break the law, he is shy an quite and doesn't like confrontation. He does his best to get out and onto his chair and over to the platform. But he's too late. The train has left the station.
However the story doesn't stop there. Because with Tom's dissabality he had to arrange with Irish rail for assistance to get onto the train. The assistant waited but Tom is a no show. He thinks about it surely Tom had no problem parking. Sure there's loads of disabled parking at Donabate station.
Off the Train goes and all the passengers are happy.
Except for Tom left on the platform the assistaint who was waiting to help him. Not to mention the other assistant waiting for him at the Stop where Tom should have got off. And the Taxi driver who was waiting to bring him to his appointment. The appointment that was at a very busy hospital. Where very busy doctors and nurses where waiting for Tom to arrive. But Tom is a no show.
Poor Tom he should have known this would happen. He should have made sure he got the earlier train just in case. An had to sit in his really uncomfortable travel wheel chair for longer. But he had thought with the number of disabled parking spaces. Surely it wouldnt be a problem. Poor Tom not only did he miss his train. He fecked up the schedule of the Train assistant's the Taxi driver and the hospital staff.
That's not to mention the Taxi back to the train station and the assistant's booked for the return journey.
Because Tom needs to think about his journey in advance. He made sure all his arrangements were in order. Spending ages on the phone to book what he needed. For what to everyone else is a simple journey. Poor Tom has also missed out on an important hospital appointment he had waited on for 18 months. He will probably have to wait another 18 months (if he's lucky) for another appointment.
But Salokindoc's wife made the train nice and warm. Perfect. All is well in the world.
That evening at 6pm Salokindoc's wife is on the way home. She gets off the train and is delighted. There is hubby waiting for her. Stopped/idled in the disabled parking space waiting for her as usual. A quick peck and home they go. The end of a perfect day. Everyone's happy.
Poor Tom is not given a second thought. But sure Salokindoc only Stopped / idled in the disabled parking space. He wasn't parked in it. His car was just between the lines that covered a wheelchair symbol.
He simply dosent see a problem with that. There are loads of other disabled spaces After all It was only for a few minutes. He didn't hurt anyone. Well except the busybody who asked him to move. The feckin cheek of him. Asking Salokindoc to move.
Vlad the Impaler

This Salokindoc guy, is he Polish?