What's the deal with the property tax?

All political discussion belongs in here!
Mr. Stupid

So got the leaflet from Daly in the letter box to meet about the property tax. Could someone explain why there should not be a property tax? If you are paying a management fee yeah you should not have to pay it because Fingal CC are ignoring your area.

But otherwise you should pay and you are paying a lot less than to get the same service privately (although at least privately you can see where the money goes).

I like Daly - she's a good politician but I am beginning to think she is adopting a lot of iconoclastic populist positions that are kinda of pointless.

There is no silver bullet out of this mess. We don't have our own currency and if we did the money run would be faster than a 747. We made a mess of our economy and its time to grow up and act fiscally responsibly.
bear

the way i see it is you pay it or they take it from you one way or the other then look forward to the water tax jan 2014 . :?
jack white

True enough.

Daly is supposed to be a left wing politician. The left believe in raising taxes to provide adequate services. In particular they belive in taxing the wealthy more than the less well off. Here finally is a tax that will make wealthy people pay more than the ordinary man or woman in the street. If it isn't brought in income tax will have to go up and rich individuals will continue paying at the same rate as the rest of us.

Daly is ditching her principles in order to cadge a few votes.
Mr. Stupid

jack white wrote:True enough.

Daly is supposed to be a left wing politician. The left believe in raising taxes to provide adequate services. In particular they belive in taxing the wealthy more than the less well off. Here finally is a tax that will make wealthy people pay more than the ordinary man or woman in the street. If it isn't brought in income tax will have to go up and rich individuals will continue paying at the same rate as the rest of us.

Daly is ditching her principles in order to cadge a few votes.
Absolutely.

What's Daly suggestion that Fingal CC should be privatised?

This is a wealth tax. People in expensive houses in expensive areas will pay more tax. (I know it's not perfect but it is impossible to make this tax perfect). It just shows how populists some Irish politicians to oppose a wealth tax.
diggerbarnes

I cant accept it as a wealth tax. It has nothing to do with how much you earn or have in savings/assets. The increases are not proportionate to how much you have. A wealth tax could and should be in the form of another 1 or 2 tax bands.
Mr. Stupid

diggerbarnes wrote:I cant accept it as a wealth tax. It has nothing to do with how much you earn or have in savings/assets. The increases are not proportionate to how much you have. A wealth tax could and should be in the form of another 1 or 2 tax bands.
Can you accept that someone who owns a detached house in Howth is paying more tax than someone who owns an semi-detached house in Balbriggan is a wealth tax?
diggerbarnes

Yes but my point is that it is a very poor excuse for a wealth tax.
Mr. Stupid

Don't follow. You don't need excuses for wealth taxes. The entire idea of tax is wealth redistribution.
diggerbarnes

Life is too short and precious to waste taking your bait Mr. S. Have a nice weekend.
Mr. Stupid

My bait? You said something and it didn't make sense. If you want to clarify by all means. It's your call. No-one can force you out of your comfort zone. Not even Mammy.