Teenage groups/ fireworks morons

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Tomat

To the parents, in name only, of the petty vandals/ fireworks morons who are on full display once more,, and to those who defend them, you are a stain on the peninsula.

I am not going to appeal to any sense of decency because time and again you display a self centred ignorance that will not change, pets being spooked and running on roads is going to lead to a serious accident and you will be held accountable.

To anyone who cares, film them, post it to the gardai/ Council as perhaps an iota of shame might seap in to someone linked to them.

I wonder how a Venn diagram of Petty Vandalism/ firework morons/ anti masker covidiots would look.
Last edited by Tomat on 13 Sep 2020, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
Spider

I see the trees on the Beaverstown Road have been damaged as have the flower pots at the Hand. Where are the parents of these kids. How come the responsible parents among us can keep an eye on our kids and know where they are. They seem to have no respect for anything. I dread Halloween. Our house has been egged a few times and things thrown at our door. I find it quite intimidating.
Ken
Site Admin

It's simplistic to just blame parents. If you're a parent of a teenager and manage to keep them in sight 24 hours a day, then fair play to you. If they are 100% honest and go where they tell you where they're going - again, fair play. However, I would guess you're very much in the minority and most parents of teenagers would admit they struggle at times.

Where parents can take responsibility is to ensure their kids aren't hanging around very late at night or early morning when most of this vandalism seems to happen.
Regards,

Ken.
Spider

I was and am a parent of teenagers. Obviously you can't know where they are every waking moment of the day but you can raise them to respect their environment and other people's property. My big strapping 6'3" teenager is nervous walking through the village when these large gangs are about.
midsomermurderer

And make no mistake that if you confronted anti-social behavior those same parents would cry "not my Johnny"!

Just like the parents of bullies always think they could do no wrong.
Derek

Tomat wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 20:38 I was told that 1 person spoke with one of the parents recently after a firework was thrown near their dog, and that parent's response was that it was just a bit of fun. Funnily enough they are not outside their own homes doing this, I wonder why?
My dog is very ill and suffers from a neurological condition, so bangers and fireworks are the last thing it needs. If someone parent told me fireworks were just a bit of fun, I'd personally shove one a lit one up their hoop, wait for it to explode, and then agree that yes, it is indeed just a bit of fun,
mirror

There was a teenage party in Donabate and the gardai were called because some of the lads were urinating in people’s gardens , A handful of these teenagers couldn’t stand. There was one lad that drunk , he was down on all fours getting sick with the gardai standing over him , another two were spread across the Garda car getting searched , Yes I’m going to be slammed for this but if it was mine they would get such a kick up the arse , they wouldn’t know what hit them
albert

mirror wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 16:53 some of the lads were urinating in people’s gardens , A handful of these teenagers couldn’t stand. There was one lad that drunk , he was down on all fours getting sick with the gardai standing over him
We've all been there 🙂

Be honest with yourself!!
mirror

Ah Typical response
aoifey

Tomat wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 20:38 Once again the weekend is here and I see the usual 20+ so teenagers at the entrance to The Priory and around the group of shops on the Portrane Road.

Seemingly throwing the odd firework and littering without a care.

I wonder why their, so called, parents think it is acceptable for this group, who are mainly from other estates, to cause trouble there?

Is there and possibility that, should you not have a clue where your precious ones are, get up off your comfy seats, go find out and take them home if necessary.

This issue,, seemingly, has only become an issue in the past year or so, it is the same teenagers and as we know, the Garda non presence means they believe that they can do what they want.

I was told that 1 person spoke with one of the parents recently after a firework was thrown near their dog, and that parent's response was that it was just a bit of fun. Funnily enough they are not outside their own homes doing this, I wonder why?

As most of these teenagers are apparently part of the gaelic club, delighted to know the importance of community and respect are being emphasised so successfully.
i'm normally the first to go off on a rant about antisocial behaviour but in this case i think we should think about it a bit more.
i pass by the shops on the portrane road a lot and i have seen the 'gang' that you're referring to. I recognise a few of the kids in that 'gang' and they are some of the nicest, most polite kids I know. Their parents are also 'good people' who from what I can see, raise them well. Obviously when teenagers are in a group, it can seem intimidating for some people and of course there will always be a few who will be wilder than the others, will be louder and will try to show off in front of the others. We were all there. I also hung out when I was younger in large groups, but we were very respectful, very loud at times yes, but generally very respectful.

I have more concerns about the people snapping the trees on the beaverstown road. This is true anisocial behaviour that will only lead on to more and worse behaviour.

Also, what has the fact that some are in the GAA club got to do with it? Serious question? Do you volunteer with kids anywhere?
mirror

I never said anything about the Gaa in Donabate , I didn’t quite understand that comment either, my own kids were in it and it’s a great club however my point on this post was , A crowd of teenagers were at a party last Weekend , the neighbours came out to ask them to keep it down , they had young children and the crowd got worse , they threw cans around and pissed in the neighbours gardens , the gardai were called . Yes as teenagers we all had a drink and did stuff but i don’t think this is right
Sunny

aoifey wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 20:38
i'm normally the first to go off on a rant about antisocial behaviour but in this case i think we should think about it a bit more.
i pass by the shops on the portrane road a lot and i have seen the 'gang' that you're referring to. I recognise a few of the kids in that 'gang' and they are some of the nicest, most polite kids I know. Their parents are also 'good people' who from what I can see, raise them well. Obviously when teenagers are in a group, it can seem intimidating for some people and of course there will always be a few who will be wilder than the others, will be louder and will try to show off in front of the others. We were all there. I also hung out when I was younger in large groups, but we were very respectful, very loud at times yes, but generally very respectful.

I have more concerns about the people snapping the trees on the beaverstown road. This is true anisocial behaviour that will only lead on to more and worse behaviour.

Also, what has the fact that some are in the GAA club got to do with it? Serious question? Do you volunteer with kids anywhere?

How do you know it's not the same kids? No offence but know the kids to see and you know the parents. Doesn't mean as anything. Friends of mine have a son who is an a student and really into sport. Nicest kid in the world. He has even minded my kids. He was admitted to hospital over the weekend after taking something with his friends. None of us for sure what our kids get up to. All we can do is minimise the risks by trying to keep some control. I dont want any child of mine hanging around street corners for no good reason. That doesn't mean I can guarantee they arent. Just like I would like to guarantee you my child isnt involved in any trouble and I am confident they are not but I cant guarantee it.

These children or teenagers dont live in a vacuum. There is no point everyone denying that their kids are responsible. They probably arent but everyone should talk to their kids about this anti social behaviour and how unacceptable it is.
jester1980

A load of teenagers 14ish maybe where in the field behind rahillion yesterday. It’s the one after pats school on the left. Anyway they decided to pick up the old potatoes and throw them at the houses. Some of these were as big as a large rock. One of the neighbours had a window smashed. 4 alarms set off. Police where called and took a drive around looking for them. So while there are good kids around there are little scum bags too.
Lightworker

I've talked to Swords Gardai about the situation with the gang outside the shops on the Portrane Road (intimidating for adults and children alike). The shop business is suffering and they're such nice people. Also, there was some harassment of residents in Carrs Mill at the weekend. I shouldn't be surprised but can't believe that parents don't know what their kids are up to, where they are and if they do then deny any involvement. The Guards advise to call them to patrol as soon as anything flares up in the future. Hopefully I'm not too innocent to think this will help.