Cycleway to Malahide Progress

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Vlad the Impaler

Fingal CoCo have lodged a planning application for the cycleway.

http://fingal.ie/media/PRESS%20RELEASE% ... cation.pdf
Quello Serio

I'm very disappointed with that route and the statement that it is a "recreational stretch of greenway". Maybe it'll improve if its extended North, but for now, it looks like its designed only to encourage traffic from Malahide to Newbridge house. Will look great on a shiny tourist brochure, but if you live in Donabate and want to use it for real life, its not for you.
ah_yeah

Is there any reason why it doesnt connect the two villages/train stations? Was really hoping to be able to use this to access the DART in the mornings/evenings instead of waiting around for ages for a commuter train or having to transfer between trains and to be able to cycle to the bank etc as the Hearse rd is too dangerous to cycle to Swords.

Since its only connecting the two parks does this mean it wont be accessible after hours? eg 4pm in the winter?

Is it possible to make submissions to fingal to request this type of thing?
Zo123

Have to agree with the above. To go straight to the village via a widening of the train route would make much more sense. And then cut into Newbridge via the village. Having said that there may be a structural reason why this isn't possible.
Quello Serio

ah_yeah wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 23:00 Since its only connecting the two parks does this mean it wont be accessible after hours? eg 4pm in the winter?

Is it possible to make submissions to fingal to request this type of thing?
The part outside the park will be accessible, and the new distributor road will have a cycle path along it, so its not all bad.

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultati ... meadow-way

"Submissions and observations may be made in writing to An Bord Pleanála, 64 Marlborough Street, Dublin 1, on or before Thursday 25th July 2019,- relating to the implications of the proposed development for proper planning and sustainable development in the area, the likely effects on the environment of the proposed development, and the likely significant effects of the proposed development in the area concerned on European Sites, if carried out."
cbc

I'm delighted to to see movement on this.
Ideally yes i think a significant portion of people that use the train service were factoring this to open up other train options, shortcut to dart to avoid trying to squash to get on some of the morning trains and also options for evening so you are not left waiting an hour for the next train - jump on dart and walk.

I'm not surprised by the route as about two yrs ago the guys building Beresford told me as part of their planning permission they had to put in a cycle path up the full length of the estate and out to Rogerstown estuary. This was to link up to cycle path through Newbridge house and out to Malahide.(The new pedestrian entrance to Newbridge House on Turvey Ave was originally supposed to matchup with this cycle path in Beresford before they changed location due to cost).

For me this is a plus even with some reservations on route.
diggerbarnes

If it's going to link up to Rush and Skerries etc in the future does that not mean it will have to come through the town?
I think it's great we'll have a cycling / walking / running route to Malahide and much further in years to come. People will always find something to moan about.
Beenthere

Great news! Would be brilliant to be able to cycle over to Malahide Dart station too.
diggerbarnes

It also gives us access to everywhere south of us without the need to travel up the Hearse Road / Turvey and Lissenhall etc. Portmarnock, Howth. Edenmore!
kenny

This is a super positive development that I'm looking forward to. But definitely a dangerous plan. When the park is open there will be safe access to the route. When the park is closed, most of the village is not going to access it from the new distributor road. A lot of people will be heading down the Hearse road which will be dangerous, especially at night.
Stromboli

This a positive move, no matter what way you look at it. Yes, it could have been more imaginative. However, it will be of benefit to both sides of the estuary. Every greenway that has been opened up around the country has been successful.
Most , if not all have been such a success that extensions have been immediately called for, and a good number are already being planned.
We should view this as the beginning of the infrastructure, not as a one off.
Mugwump

...Finally approved by An Bord Pleanala!

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/304624.htm

Delighted to see this. Please, people, keep pressure on local representatives to make sure this happens.
Zo123

Great news.
Any updated timeline?
Mugwump

Local representatives are saying that FCC have funding ring fenced and that advance works will commence later this year with a late 2021/early 2022 completion
pat mustard

Dinging :D