Elections

All political discussion belongs in here!
pat mustard

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politic ... 3?mode=amp

We should do the same, pointless waste of money. Endless cause of littering. The same posters every 20 metres. Goon like images with cliche comments.
albert

Speaking of elections, I'm new here... and don't really know who I should vote for...

So let's have it - who's gonna make Donabate great again?!?

A.
Sleepy

Which of the candidates for the council live locally? The more councillors we have from the peninsula, the more chance we have of getting services and infrastructure improved to meet the planned increase in our population.

I know Glenn Brady (Independent) lives in Portrane.
Seamus

Sleepy wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 09:54 Which of the candidates for the council live locally? The more councillors we have from the peninsula, the more chance we have of getting services and infrastructure improved to meet the planned increase in our population.

Two current sitting councillors, Adrian Henchy (FF) and Paul Mulville (SocDems) live locally in Donabate and Portrane respectively. As well as Glenn Brady (Ind) in Portrane, two other candidates, Bob Dowling (FG) and Corina Johnston (Labour) live in Donabate.

So there are no excuses for not voting local as we are spoiled for choice.
Fr Jack

Seamus wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 10:19
Sleepy wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 09:54 Which of the candidates for the council live locally? The more councillors we have from the peninsula, the more chance we have of getting services and infrastructure improved to meet the planned increase in our population.

Two current sitting councillors, Adrian Henchy (FF) and Paul Mulville (SocDems) live locally in Donabate and Portrane respectively. As well as Glenn Brady (Ind) in Portrane, two other candidates, Bob Dowling (FG) and Corina Johnston (Labour) live in Donabate.

So there are no excuses for not voting local as we are spoiled for choice.
Spoiled for choice!!! Holy Jaysus!!
kenny

With that amount of choice it's remarkable a FF candidate was elected.
Mr. Stupid

My concern would be, there are so many local candidates they will cancel each other out.
pat mustard

kenny wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 13:24 With that amount of choice it's remarkable a FF candidate was elected.

i know , it beggers belief really.
Mr.Blowin

Just trawling the Fingalcoco website and can see the new electoral areas, note to self No mention of Donabate in Rush/Lusk electoral areahttp://fingalcoco.maps.arcgis.com/apps/ ... 166b69d621 even though that's where we are now, anyways where can I find a list of candidates?
Beenthere

At this stage I’m leaning towards Bob Dowling(I am not normally an FG voter).If the community wants anything to be done looks like he’d be the main route to the government and get that Tilsbury monstrosity stopped. Might give Mulville 2nd but that’s it.
Mr. Stupid

The biggest monstrosity is not the 200 units for Tilberry, it is the 2.000 units for Ballymastone.
Alan Farrell, FG et al don't give two hoots about Donabate. It would certainly be interesting to see if this changed or continued if an FG candidate got elected out here.
albert

Mr. Stupid wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 19:58 The biggest monstrosity is not the 200 units for Tilberry, it is the 2.000 units for Ballymastone.
Alan Farrell, FG et al don't give two hoots about Donabate. It would certainly be interesting to see if this changed or continued if an FG candidate got elected out here.
2,000?

Isn't it 1,000 for Ballymastone?

Actually, of the ~4,000 approved planning applications, where are the majority of them? I know Ballymastone takes up the majority... are the others smaller developments like Semple Woods?
Quello Serio

Beenthere wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 10:40 At this stage I’m leaning towards Bob Dowling(I am not normally an FG voter).If the community wants anything to be done looks like he’d be the main route to the government and get that Tilsbury monstrosity stopped. Might give Mulville 2nd but that’s it.
Isn't it An Bord Pleanála, implementing government policy, that has resulted in the Tilberry decision? Would a vote for the party behind the decision help change the decision?
Mr. Stupid

It sounds crazy but if FG had a strong presence in Bate with a hotline to Leo and Murphy, you'd wonder would most of the crap that is happening in the Bate be happening?
jayflame

I have to congratulate all election candidates for the positioning of their posters, especially approaching the accident black spot on Hearse Road.

In a time when majority of local residents have been campaigning for road safety, they have allowed people to put their posters in the worst places leaving high risk of distraction.

Those candidates that leave their posters in a dangerous location, or create an eyesore, will definitely not get my vote.
Portranian

I admire Paul Mulville (SocDems) with the work he has done on the coastal erosion in Portrane. He also seems to have the spine to stand up to developers, he was the only local councillor to back the community councils call for a moratorium on new planning permission for developments until we have proper infrastructure such as the new bypass in place. Sadly that didn't pass the council as FF,FG (Even though Bob Dowling said they would support) and SF were against.
Mr. Stupid

There are a lot of people worried about the degree of social housing and the way it is being snuck without any meaningful increase in facilities. Who is going to speak up and not be afraid of the PC backlash?
Beenthere

I’d say Bob Dowling and Corina Roche are looking like the two who will stand up and be counted. I’ve raised it with the others and got the usual but we’ve a housing crisis. That’s fair enough but doesn’t mean you can chuck thousands of houses into a village without proper infrastructure. Ive also asked how come there’s millions of euros being paid by the developers and next to none of it coming back into Donabate. This is the time to make a difference if we can..
Mr. Stupid wrote: 12 May 2019, 21:31 There are a lot of people worried about the degree of social housing and the way it is being snuck without any meaningful increase in facilities. Who is going to speak up and not be afraid of the PC backlash?
aoifey

surprised how quiet this thread is considering the elections are only a week away. or maybe we're all fed up and/or just disillusioned.

i'm now finally pretty much decided who I am going to vote for having given it probably far too much consideration.
since ive decided to give my number 1 for this particular person ive been noticing on social media that a prominant donabate based facebook page looks to be leaning towards one particular candidate, sharing a lot of that persons posts. hadnt noticed it before i had made up my mind.

the person im voting for i feel is genuinely passionate about the area and seems to have been involved in several groups in the area prior to declaring. i could be wrong but i feel this person is the type of person that wont hesitate to get in touch with the council and hassle them until they start to take notice.

ive been hearing too much from supporters of another candidate about how thats not the way to do things and that its best not to rock the boat and to have people on your side. i feel that diplomacy bullsh*t is completely old school and more suited to international politics. At local level we just need to get things done.

i do think we need at least 2 local reps on the new council and I hope it works out that way.
mirror

I'm thinking Bob Dowling and Paul Mulville
Mr. Stupid

They all want better infrastructure and say they'll fight the good cause. So what's the difference?
Banana

can any one tell me who is actively pushing for cyclepaths and malahide estuary cycle route.?
Ken
Site Admin

Banana wrote: 23 May 2019, 07:40 can any one tell me who is actively pushing for cyclepaths and malahide estuary cycle route.?
I think you'll find that all of them will make this claim. How much infulence they actually have in another matter.
Regards,

Ken.
Mr. Stupid

From what I can gather, there is no ideological or policy difference whatsoever. They'll work hard, fight for you, blah blah blah
jack white

It's tempting to simply give your vote to the local candidates. But don't just assume that they all agree with you on the way forward for the locality.

Take Adrian Henchy, for instance. At the recent meeting on the subject of a moratorium on new builds he was the only local politician to stand up against the plan. Perhaps he thinks this might have damaged him locally because he must have spent a fortune on posters since then. His face is pretty much everywhere on the peninsula.

As for the others, Corina Johnson has done lots of work in the community before moving into politics and has mobilised her campaign in impressive style. Paul Mulville does a good job locally although one of my pet peeves is a politician who seems to change party as often as he changes his socks. First he was Labour, then he was Independent, now he's a Social Democrat. Bob Dowling has always been active in the community and will definitely hoover up a lot of votes in Donabate. There are others who are from Donabate/Portrane but, as they're independents, it's hard to work out exactly what they stand for.

One thing is clear though: All the local candidates support SPDD (apart from Councillor Henchy that one time) so it's pretty difficult to decide between them. It's not like a General Election where you're voting on policy platforms. Local elections are more about potholes than policies