Semple Woods new development

Zo123

Hi all

We are looking at purchasing a house in Semple Woods and looking for opinions on this development.

Also like to hear peoples views when comparing it to similar new build housing available in Beresford.
Quello Serio

Its a bit early for much of an opinion, the show houses aren't built yet so its mostly a muddy field.

This is the planning application, might be of interest?http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/a ... =F17A/0113
Zo123

Thanks for that, yes I'd poured over the planning permission documents a few days ago.
I suppose just curious on opinions re location really.
Like to the village centre, new distributor road, newbridge etc

Houses seems slightly more expensive than Beresford going by the brochure but obviously different developers. He have been out to see houses they built in Ballbriggan and the finish seems good.
Northwest

What prices are they going for? I imagine it won't be Spring when they are ready to view?
Quello Serio

I think the location is good. Donabate isn't that big (yet) so you can't go far wrong with location. Easy walking distance to the Train station, and to Newbridge park. Some day there might be a bicycle path across the estuary to Malahide, but don't hold your breath. You'll aways be near the sea, and the Airport is a short drive.
There is planning granted for a supermarket (possibly Aldi) & cafe beside the train station, but there no guarantee it will be built. Shops and existing schools are walkable, and there'll be a path across the rail line to take you to the area where the new schools will (possibly!) be built.

All the planning in the area at the moment is for housing, or roads to allow housing. Fingal council have no ideas or plan to improve or extend the town center.
Zo123

Northwest wrote: 28 Jan 2019, 20:55 What prices are they going for? I imagine it won't be Spring when they are ready to view?
The only prices I got was for the 4 beds. Detached €475,000 and semi d €450,000. Most houses seem to be 3 beds.
aoifey

as others have said, it's a bit too early to comment on the development itself.

my thoughts are that firstly it is a development of 250 units in one estate. this for me is a no no as the bigger an estate, the more likelihood of antisocial behaviour down the line. i notice they arent advertising the apartments for sale for some reason.
i personally think Beresford/Beverton is far too big of an estate also which will have approximately 550 units between them by the time it's fully complete (correct me if i'm wrong on that). Of course all of that is just my opinion and it could turn out to be the least antisocial behaviour area in the whole of Ireland.

i'm not overly confident of access to the estate either. It seems to be on a bend on the busy Hearse road where they will expect traffic from 250 units to enter and leave at that point.

in terms of location, yes it's a good location with easy access to everything.

Fingal County Council have plans for Donabate to double in population from 10,000 to approximately 20,000 people but without any significant upgrade in infrastructure.

Peak trains are at capacity. Journey times to the city have increased. We have 1 bus a day to the city centre, which we may actually be losing. So if things stay the same in terms of public transport it's going to get significantly worse to travel by public transport out of Donabate.

On the positive side. I love Donabate. I love the people, the schools, the sports clubs and the overall community feel.
If however I was starting out again and looking to buy a family home, with the way things are going, I wouldn't buy in Donabate today. And maybe that would be my loss.
Zo123

From looking at the planning permission documents the apartments are in the 3rd phase of the build so not on sale yet
manor

I am interested in this development as well - however slightly concerned that there does not seem to be a footpath from the development into the town/trainstation... Am I correct on this?

Also, I understood the greenway via the esturary to Malahide (if it ever happens...) was to be to the west of the railway line yet this development seems to go right to the edge of the railway boundary although I may be reading the map incorrectly. Anyone know more? Cheers!
Zo123

The developers are currently building a footpath into Donabate from Semple Woods on the hearse road. They were required to do it. Once the development is completed there will also be another walkway to the village through the estate without the need to go to the main road. I'd say that's years away though as it's part of phase 3.

Can't really speak for the greenway but I thought it went through Newbridge demesne toward Malahide by going West of Semple Woods.
aoifey

Glenveagh sells 118 housing units to Ires Reit

https://www.independent.ie/business/com ... 47463.html

Let them build houses they said. Then people can buy houses and live in a nice family neighbourhood. Or simply sell those houses in bulk to a rich commercial private landlord so that they can cream the profits. It's a win-win for business of course. And it's capitalism and democracy. Doesn't mean we have to like it so much though

If this is true then it would put me off buying as a private buyer
manor

Looks like may not be any or many for sale:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/gle ... -1.3837645
Zo123

manor wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 10:11 Looks like may not be any or many for sale:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/gle ... -1.3837645
Well given that there are nearly 200 houses being built there and 40 being sold to this private landlord company there should still be a lot for sale.

How much rent could they stand to charge per 3/4 bed house?
Mr. Stupid

Incredible. And let's see... How many of the 40 houses to the HAP scheme?
Fr Jack

Someday people will wake up. Whats going on here is greed on a mass scale. This was the plan from the very start. It didn't just come about in the last few days. The cheapest house in that development is €370k for a small mid terrace. Poor value for money. Not too many average families could afford such a mortgage.
dearg11

Totally agree , people want to wake up, this town is the new dump ground for every dubious development in Fingal , no infrastructure, town centre consisting of bookies and pharmacies, no Garda presence, gangs of local youths terrorising people while mammy and daddy don't care , gangs travelling up and down the train line looking to cause trouble ( why is our station abandoned from early evening with no security) , Malahide isn't, and it's 3 minutes down the line, mature trees ripped down everywhere, roads in bits ( end of Turvey is an absolute disgrace, waiting for an accident to happen ).

Meanwhile Fingal County Council are coining it in through local levies , while spending nothing. If we are not careful, and I don't mean to scaremonger, we will become the next Tyrrellstown or Ballbriggan

Local elections coming up very soon , the majority of our existing representatives are not protecting us , I don't care about peoples party affiliations , but please vote for LOCAL people that have to live with the decisions they make. Don't start crying about it in a couple of years when it's too late .Rant over

VOTE LOCAL
Gjjt

So disappointed to read about this. We are first time buyers with 2 small children and were planning on putting a deposit down on a 3 bed next weekend at the launch.
This has changed our minds completely.
Along with the 10% of thr estate that will be sold to the council ( which all new estates do)... Another 40 of the houses will be leased out via this corporate landlord. Every 3rd house will be rented.
It doesn't make for a great neighbourhood does it. We've rented long enough and tenant's change every year or so... Its very transient and you don't tend to commit to the area 😕
Lavidolas

I know of 4 other couples that have made that decision this week for the same reasons. Shocking own-goal by the Developer in what could be a lovely owner occupied estate. Hope you find somewhere soon
Interested

Hi,

this was recently the topic of conversation on The Tonight Show (28/03/2019) hosted by Matt Cooper and Ivan Yates.

Lorraine Clifford Lee on the topic of foreign landlords....

https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/pl ... night-Show

From the 19th minute approx. Lorraine speaks about Semple Woods....
Vlad the Impaler

This is a very concerning affair.

One of the things we were looking for in Donabate was development that encouraged a sense of community.

The transient nature of this scheme is probably one of the biggest threats to stability locally and to young people's hopes of housing nationally.
Derek

Couldn't agree more Vlad and it's very concerning in more ways than just community too.

Almost 20% of that estate has been supposedly sold to a housing agency with the clear potential for more to go that way too. In addition, 10% is also supposed to be for social needs (i.e. county council,) One can see here that a social mix above 10% may happen if the agencies too decide to let to social tenants. And before anyone says this is a pop at social housing, it isn't. I am merely setting out the theoretical circumstances were the 10% limit can actually be exceeded in this situation here.

My other concern is market impact and what can happen if large cash rich agencies can bulk buy houses in this way. What hope have our children of acquiring their own home if the agencies are snapping up new homes before they even go to market?

This is bound to make the lot of the first time buyer much worse, not better. And our government have expressed no opposition to this either.
Derek

Forgot to add in the above that this is bound to set a precedent for Ballymastone
Zo123

Seems like this is happening everywhere.

https://amp.independent.ie/business/per ... 73743.html

Cuckoo funds are the new vulture funds.
Young families/first time buyers getting more and more screwed in all areas in Dublin.
Sleepy

Surely any potential buyers will also likely be covering whatever bulk-buy discount that IRES REIT managed to get themselves too...

This issue is being discussed over on boards.ie too and I'd wonder if the negative publicity may affect demand from potential owner-occupiers? The houses themselves look nice, the location is pretty good but faced with the potential for a large percentage of the estate to be social housing, I'm guessing many (most) would be put off, particularly when the prices are likely to be around the half a million mark...

If they struggle to find buyers for the "owner-occupier" allocation, are Fingal County Council likely to purchase the rest from them leaving a social housing ghetto as the gateway to the village?