Donabate fete field

Mr.Blowin

See that the church has applied for 2 permissions

F18A/0403 and F18A/0402 so where will we hold it in 2019 if it goes ahead?
Ken
Site Admin

They are well overdue a new community centre. The one that's there must date back to the 40s/50s.

It will be interesting to see when they start excavating that site. If I recall, there was an archaeological dig there a few years back and they uncovered some interesting artefacts. It's a very historic site given the church has been there since the middle ages.
Regards,

Ken.
Ken
Site Admin

I was sent some further information on this development for those interested. The hall will be very welcome especially given the growth in population over the next few years.

The two sites will be on either side of the field so the centre will still be free for the Fete. The existing hall dates back to 1937 and we are hoping to retain it as a historic building. It is too small for nowadays. The new hall will be open to the whole Donabate Portrane community. It will have a care takers apartment as part of the hall as a security measure.

A full archaeological dig was carried out on the site as part of the planning application. Nothing significant was found on the two proposed sites. Some trenches and a few small items were found and there is a full archaeological report available.
Regards,

Ken.
SummerTon

I can't say I feel too positive about this application. A couple of things to note here:

Firstly, 2 applications were lodged; one for a community centre (F18A/0402), which is listed as invalid on the fingal website (presumably another one will be put through soon?)
The second application is for "A residential development consisting of 4 no. two storey detached five-bedroom houses with vehicular and pedestrian access from Turvey Avenue, associated surface car parking, landscaping, boundary treatment and all associated site and engineering works necessary to facilitate the development. (The site adjoins Protected Structures)."

in respect of the latter application:
1. no documents are posted on the fingal county council website - it would be nice to have these uploaded given that the application was submitted on 12 July, so that people could make a proper judgement on the application.
2. I'm concerned that Donabate village needs to grow and there isn't much space for it to grow into. This is an absolute prime site - 2.3 hectares according to google maps. It's right across the road from the train station, which will at some point(!) be upgraded to a dart station. These lands are zoned for town centre on the development plan. I'd have thought this would mean a chance for something like new shops, restaurant, cafe, some green space and more than 4 houses (plus caretaker apartment), if done tastefully.

It's the church's site and they are entitled to do what they want with it, and what they're proposing sounds nice, but it's not what I would have thought an extension of donabate village would be. Not much can be done to improve the Main Street - it's on a dangerous bend with a cemetery on one side and nice small green space on the other, and all the land further along has been developed out, so the most should really be made of sites like this one. It's possible that the large houses are being built to pay for the modernisation of the church's community centre, but I'd prefer if they developed something commercial and used that as an income source instead

ps does anyone know how i can get my name down for one of the houses? I could even do some caretaking :D
Ken
Site Admin

I wouldn't read much into all the documentation not being on the FCC site. From what I've seen, that's normal for new applications. It takes a few days for everything to appear.

If they are relying on the income from the houses to fund the community centre and the upkeep of the church, selling houses makes more sense. Building retail units and leasing them would be more long term. They'd also be competing against the already empty units in the village and the fact the site in front of the Gallery is also due to be retail units at some stage.
Regards,

Ken.
Mr. Stupid

Fair play to CoI here. Nice to hear something besides another bookies being built. I'm sure the detached houses will look very nice and bring up the village.