Time to get a charter

Suggestions for improving the site such as adding new forums
Mr. Stupid

I think it is time to get a charter. Suggestions:
* Under no circumstances engage in cyber bullying. Anyone doing so will be banned for life
* Minors should only use this site with the an adult / parent / guardian
* Attack the post not the poster
* Discussing non-local issues is fine. But try to put approproate threads in appropriate section. For example, political debates go in the politics section
* If you a critising a local business, try to be very fair. Did you complain to the people in the shop before coming on online?
* If there is a debate / discussion about an issue, remember not everyone will agree. Remember to be civil at all times. Remember there is also a difference between matters of opinion and matters of fact
* Don't start a new thread about an existing subject
* It is up to individual posters if they want to identify themselves. Do not try to identify posters
estuarine

Glad to hear it Mr. Stupid. Point 3 would appear very much needed. I have to say though that your championing of it reminds me of the time when I was growing up that a neighbour of ours, whose children were the greatest tearaways in the area, managed to make himself chairman of the local Neighbourhood Watch! My parents gave him pretty short shrift when he came calling.

I presume that referencing my earlier contribution on a different topic when attacking my contribution on a totally unrelated matter this week certainly wouldn't amount to cyber bullying by your definition. :roll:

Your proposals are fine; it's the fact that someone with your record is proposing them that I find quite nauseating.
acdublin

Personally, I think there are issues with anonymity on a local forum like this. Often the topics being discussed are directly or indirectly related to people who are known in the community. Posters can hide behind anonymity too easily. When you are known you have accountability to your immediate community (whether family, colleagues, neighbours, friends etc) and responsibility to the other person but on an anonymous forum that isn't there. It’s a low-risk relating environment for the anonymous poster that causes people to say things they would never say to a stranger in any other public setting. There are very few repercussions. It may be a lot easier to say those things but it’s not equivalently easy to have them said to you. I’m sure the forum will go on being anonymous for most people but a charter might say something like: Relate to people as if you’re both in a room with your friends and family and their friends and family (and they’re 6’8” and 3rd Dan in Jiu-Jitsu).

Andy
Mr. Stupid

Some good points. But, there's a reason why there's such a thing as a secret ballot as well.
Besides Facebook has very little anonymity and a lot of cyber bullying.
And sometimes disagreement is confused with cyber bullying.
A charter might help to make things clearer.

I guess it's about getting balance right. Not easy. But possible. Boards.ie is pretty good.