Commuting from Donabate

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Sdan

Just a word of advice to anyone thinking of moving to Donabate and commuting to the city: come out and take the 8:15 one morning before believing any agents about how handy the commute is. Make your own mind up on whether it's something you could do every day. (You might also want to get any trains outside peak hours, day or evening, as well as you'll have a fair chance of seeing various forms of anti-social behaviour on those.)

Extra food for thought, it's going to get (far) worse as the population here doubles by the end of the current LAP term, and as pointed out at the public meeting last week, it can't get any better because the interconnect between Connolly and Tara is already at max capacity, and there are no plans whatsoever to do anything about this.

Personally, I've taken to driving in after years on the train because despite the longer commute because I am not cattle and got tired of feeling hassled before starting work. I'll be buying an electric car soon to take care of the only downside of the new arrangement.
danielt

Well said, unless you like being crammed in, starting your day with either an armpit in your face or 4 students talking rubbish with massive backpacks on taking up the space of 3 people,avoid the trains and get the bus.....oh wait, no alternative!
daveyboy

Definitely an issue and can only get worse. The most recent Fingal plan had no mention of a direct bus service to the city, just shuttle buses up the metro north at Lissenhall if and when that ever happens. An regular express bus service into the city would be great. Surely that will happen in time regardless of what happens with the trains.
Northwest

Unfortunately that problem isn't restricted to Donabate. I'm moving there soon and it's a downside. Does anyone use the 7.30am bus to town?
jester1980

Ive been getting this train for years, although it is very packed its not as bad as some ive been on, they could defo do with an extra carriage. only do it twice a week at moment though as cycle two days and drive another.

Worst train out there though is the 5.35 from Connolly stopping at donabate, ughhhh
Sdan

Although I haven't use it for a while the 7:30 bus is great, and there's one back at 5:45.

Another point that came up at the SPDD meeting: when they eventually build the single lane bypass it will come out just before the entrance to Newbridge House on the Hearse Road. In other words the pinch point in the traffic getting out of Donabate will just end up moving to there.
Donabate User

Sdan wrote:Although I haven't use it for a while the 7:30 bus is great, and there's one back at 5:45.

Another point that came up at the SPDD meeting: when they eventually build the single lane bypass it will come out just before the entrance to Newbridge House on the Hearse Road. In other words the pinch point in the traffic getting out of Donabate will just end up moving to there.
Good point there. It's not a by pass. It is just opening up land to be developed that there is no road to.

With no hard shoulder, no bike lane, no footpath, no set down area, anywhere on the Hearse Road - it will the mean the Hearse Road become extremely dangerous. Not to mention the traffic congestion.
jayflame

Donabate User wrote:it will the mean the Hearse Road become extremely dangerous.
Too late!

As someone who has cycled into and around London before there were cycle lanes, I would not cycle Hearse Road until my life insurance is fully paid and I am happy to risk my life.

As for Turvey Avenue as an alternative?
Drivers seem to think it's Santa Pod track and go as fast as possible
patsman

I cycled to swords for a few years up to last year and I never had a problem. Nor have I ever heard of a cyclist being involved in an accident.i was thinking of starting again but all the construction traffic is putting me off. Any comments from anyone cycling on that road now ?
Banana

anyone hear anything about the Estuary walkway/ cycleway.....any progress ?
Northwest

Was there ever any mentions of a private bus going to the city ? Similar to Swords express?
Mr. Stupid

Northwest wrote:Was there ever any mentions of a private bus going to the city ? Similar to Swords express?
See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2645#p13417

There are no plans for any extra buses, any more trains, dart, walkway, road widening. Nothing.
Population going to 21,000 with no plans for anything.
pat mustard

Mr. Stupid wrote:
Northwest wrote:Was there ever any mentions of a private bus going to the city ? Similar to Swords express?
See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2645#p13417

There are no plans for any extra buses, any more trains, dart, walkway, road widening. Nothing.
Population going to 21,000 with no plans for anything.

Nothing has been learnt since last boom/tax payer bailout. Same and next gen cute hoors at play again. No genuine altruistic interest in the area.

Shafted is the word. Are we really surprised?

Its depressing. I like the village but admit we're thinking of getting out before this shambles takes place and destroys the area. (No, I don't know where to, just getting old and grumpy)
Stromboli

"Any comments from anyone cycling on that road now ?"

Been cycling the Herase Road into town for the past number of years, its not actually the most dangerous section of my commute, I would reserve that for Drumcondra. Most motorists on the Hearse road are getting used to bikes, though there are still a sizeable minority out there who think I need to shave my legs and try to do it for me.

I also drive the odd time and use public transport so appreciate all modes of transport into and out of Donabate and cycling home from work on a nice evening is by far the most enjoyable.

Don't be afraid to cycle it will make you a better driver !
Spudmurphy

Hi Stromboli,

Just wondering if you still cycle to work? Have you ever tried to get the train half way and cycle the rest? Would you be able to estimate how many calories each trip burns and how long does it take you?
Google maps estimates 1hr15 minutes for me

Thanks
Stromboli

Hi,

I do. Have not tried to bring the bike on the train, but have had occasion to get the train a few times over the past couple of months and have seen a few people take their bikes on and off the train.

Why don't you try cycle in, and get the train or bus home, and alternate the following day.
presume you would have secure parking for the bike in work.
Rule of thumb on the calories is about 1000 per hour.
Ciaran

I also cycle to work in the city from Donabate. Have done so for the last decade or so.

Of course it depends on how fast you ride, but the ~24km take me about 50-60mins.

As Stromboli said, riding in one day and home the next, using the train for the other two legs can be a good way to start if you feel you won't be able for the return trip on the same day.

Finally, I'd suggest using Turvey Ave instead of Hearse Rd. I find the latter to be super stressful as people in cars don't seem to have the patience to resist overtaking (even since the limit was dropped to 60km/h) going into the blind bends at Newbridge House and Jones' Garden Centre. The Turvey Ave route is only about a kilometre or so longer, and as the road is mostly dead straight there's never a buildup of traffic behind you.
Spudmurphy

Hi both,

Thank you very much for your replies. That's great idea with alternative trips for the start, I think I will do that.

I will also be taking the Turvey route too. Unfortunately I've witnessed the selfish overtaking too many times on the Hearse Road.

Fingers crossed they'll open the Malahide crossing this decade! :)