New arrivals

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Bawner

I see a load of caravans have been set up at that laneway where the Hearse road joins the motorway? Anyone know the story there?
Ken
Site Admin

Caravans or Portacabins? Could be the start of the works for the new road.
Regards,

Ken.
Carv

Bawner wrote:I see a load of caravans have been set up at that laneway where the Hearse road joins the motorway? Anyone know the story there?
Yeah I noticed them too this morning. There are more further along that have been there a while. The next time you are going on the slip way look left about half way down it and there are a good few caravans halted there.
patsman

New road will start a lot closer to the village. They are our travelling friends.
mirror

There are gates onto that land that are locked , they must have broken the lock to gain access, I reckon they will be shifted pretty quickly.
HollieBG

Have our "New Arrivals" moved on?
mirror

Back again , this time the top of Turvey Ave
BRUCE

Move along, get along, move along, get along, go, move , shift.

They really should know better. No more residents, No social housing, No mentally ill patients, no one else welcome in Donabate. Homelessness crisis? not our problem! Now give us our new road.
Mr. Stupid

Actually Bruce, you wouldn't mind closing the door on the way out there.
BRUCE

Certainly Mr. Stupid, the last thing we want to do is challenge our opinions.
Mr. Stupid

But Bruce, challenge but do so fairly.
No one is saying no more residents, no social housing, no mentally ill patients. Are they?

There is a sense that these things should be done proportionally and whatever the population coming out to Donabate the place needs some serious infrastructure that isn't on anyone's roadmap. Where's the Dart? Where's the Malahide walkway? 20,000+ people living in an area that has no major employer and no signs of one. Only one secondary school. No garda station. No swimming pool. You take your life into your hands if you want to cycle to the next town. The list is endless.
BRUCE

"There are gates onto that land that are locked , they must have broken the lock to gain access, I reckon they will be shifted pretty quickly."

Fair. They must have committed a crime. Who needs evidence. Just curious, would you like to be accused of a crime, without any evidence Mr. Stupid.

Priorities. I'm not a fan of the government / council, & you do set out some very valid points Mr. Stupid, but in your opinion, are you more entitled to a swimming pool, than say, a single mother, with 3 kids, who lives in a hotel is to appropriate accommodation?

You mentioned "fair" Mr. Stupid, but your previous post "Actually Bruce, you wouldn't mind closing the door on the way out there". Suggests anyone you disagree with, is not welcome on this forum. Is that fair?
Mr. Stupid

BRUCE wrote:"There are gates onto that land that are locked , they must have broken the lock to gain access, I reckon they will be shifted pretty quickly."
Fair. They must have committed a crime. Who needs evidence. Just curious, would you like to be accused of a crime, without any evidence Mr. Stupid.
Spot on here Bruce. Someone could have opened the gate for them.
Priorities. I'm not a fan of the government / council, & you do set out some very valid points Mr. Stupid, but in your opinion, are you more entitled to a swimming pool, than say, a single mother, with 3 kids, who lives in a hotel is to appropriate accommodation?
No way. I am in favour or council and affordable housing. I just think places it works and places it doesn't work (Darndale). I think it has a better chance of working if you ensure it goes to genuine cases (as you point out) and that the community has the facilities it needs so that it can function as a community.

We are approaching massive population growth in Donabate and very little facility growth. Pretty much zero. This means the place will struggle even without all the social housing and affordable housing. It will really struggle as a town to integrate that amount of social and affordable housing just like Darndale did and that single mother you mentioned will become stigmatised and blamed for problems that aren't her fault. That's not fair.
You mentioned "fair" Mr. Stupid, but your previous post "Actually Bruce, you wouldn't mind closing the door on the way out there". Suggests anyone you disagree with, is not welcome on this forum. Is that fair?
That was what we call a joke Bruce. :) :)
BRUCE

Good Man Mr. Stupid.

There was a case a few years back, where a land owner was getting objections to planning permission. He gave access to the travelling community. The objections where withdrawn.

I'll assume, since you didn't answer, that you do feel more entitled to a swimming pool within 5 minutes of your house (there is one in Malahide 15 mins away), than say, a single mother, with 3 kids, who lives in a hotel room, does to appropriate accommodation.

Heres hoping you never fall on bad times Mr. Stupid.

Good luck.

Door closed
Mr. Stupid

BRUCE wrote:Good Man Mr. Stupid.

There was a case a few years back, where a land owner was getting objections to planning permission. He gave access to the travelling community. The objections where withdrawn.
Doesn't suprise me
I'll assume, since you didn't answer, that you do feel more entitled to a swimming pool within 5 minutes of your house (there is one in Malahide 15 mins away), than say, a single mother, with 3 kids, who lives in a hotel room.
I did answer, I said "No Way". As in "No Way do I feel more entitled".

You need things like swimming pools in areas of high social housing even more as it is less likely a private pool company will set up (as they have say in Santry).

If we don't get those facilities we will end up with something like Ballymun before it got it's
* Swimming pool
* Major employer - Ikea
* Council office facility
* Health Service facilities
* The Axis arts centre and theatre
* Student accommodation
* Some renewed retail facilities.
* Cycle routes into town etc

Even with all the above Ballymun has some challenges. So think if an area grows to a large population you need facilities. Donabate hasn't much and there is very little on the way. Ballymun also has a Garda station.
patsman

Some inaccurate information in these posts. Population of donabate and portrane just under 10k last census . There is no public swimming pool in malahide.
Mr. Stupid

Populate is under 10K but it's heading towards 20K, if not more - with no significant boost to any facilities.
batman

I think Mr. Stupid is right here. Nobody is against social housing but it has to be properly planned. Building a large amount of affordable/social houses in one estate simply does not work. We have many examples of them inside and outside Dublin. The key for a proper social develpment is integration.
Also as already pointed out, there are too many missing facilities to support the large amount of houses/people currently planned for the village.
I read in another thread that there is a group to support proper development of Donabate. Is there any way other people can contribute to it?