Portane's Greatest Assett..

Vlad the Impaler

.. is the sea, so why do both the chipper and the pub both have their windows overlooking the green with their back to the water? Pity weird design.

I really think a seafood restaurant or a sea fishing/boating business would do well there. I'm surprised the Waterside doesn't hire a good seafood chef and re-invent itself.

Maybe i'm biased by my taste for all things fishy.
Ken
Site Admin

A mid-priced seafood restaurant would be great. There are some nice ones along the coast, but many are €€€.

You're right, we don't make the most of our seafront.
Regards,

Ken.
Ciaran

Vlad the Impaler wrote: I really think a seafood restaurant or a sea fishing/boating business would do well there. I'm surprised the Waterside doesn't hire a good seafood chef and re-invent itself.
They have a new restaurant now, "Samphire", run by the chef formerly of Cruzzo's in Malahide:
http://www.watersidehousehotel.ie/dinin ... restaurant
Vlad the Impaler

Nice one!
ah_yeah

Reason Pipers doesn't have windows facing the sea is because instead of the sea you'd be looking into the families that run it downstairs bedrooms and main bathroom (with lovely whirlpool bath that I suppose you could pretend was the sea ;) ) I also imagine that while re doing the new chipper planning permission / logistics didn't allow for windows from the restaurant part of the house to face the sea.
pat mustard

Samphire is a great place. everything great on the occasions we've been there (our experience)or have brought friends from outside the area,, was there in May ,june and Sept ,prebooked the window table, overlooking the sea. Brill (is that too fishy?)

regarding Portrane:

some gobshites lit a fire 2 weeks ago beside Pipers. was still burning with the usual piss beer cans, budweiser,dutch gold at 11 on sat.

you would feel pain for the owners of the cottage beside Pipers.

Maybe we should buy them some rothweilers.
ah_yeah

One of the families that own/live in pipers had a lovely massive gorgeous rottweiler. But it had a heart attack and sadly passed away after being tormented one too many times by undesirables with bangers one halloween. So if they can do that to a poor dog I really don't think another one would deter them much.