Clare Daly Arrested on Suspicion of Drink Driving

All political discussion belongs in here!
Ken
Site Admin

Looks like she's continuing to press that career self destruct button.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... ing59.html
Regards,

Ken.
diggerbarnes

Wouldn't have thought she'd be a whiskey drinker myself. More a cider drinker.
It's desparate stuff from someone you would have taken the high moral ground so often. Presuming she was over the limit of course. I can forgive her the turnabout.
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Why is there a wait, did she opt for giving blood or urine?
Ken
Site Admin

Bill_Lumbergh wrote:Why is there a wait, did she opt for giving blood or urine?
The Indo says she gave a urine sample. She was unable to use the breathalyser.
Regards,

Ken.
richard dawkins

Sad to see. One of the few decent politicians who didn't actively represent developers.
Ken
Site Admin

richard dawkins wrote:Sad to see. One of the few decent politicians who didn't actively represent developers.
But she did side with one when she wouldn't condemn Mick Wallace for not paying his VAT.
Regards,

Ken.
richard dawkins

Yeah but she is an atheist so I don't care if she contradicts herself from time to time.
Vlad the Impaler

I wonder why she was unable to use a breathaliser?

I suppose a trip down to the station gives your liver the chance to burn off a few more milligrams of alchohol.
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Vlad the Impaler wrote: I suppose a trip down to the station gives your liver the chance to burn off a few more milligrams of alchohol.
Exactly.
Ken
Site Admin

Bill_Lumbergh wrote:
Vlad the Impaler wrote: I suppose a trip down to the station gives your liver the chance to burn off a few more milligrams of alchohol.
Exactly.
If one was trying to delay things for the best possible outcome (not that Clare was), a blood test would have made more sense as that would have given a real time reading. Urine could be retrospective given that it could be on the wrong side of the kidneys for a couple of hours.

Not that Clare had to consider this scenario given that she had only consumed one "house measure" of "hot whiskey".
Regards,

Ken.
Derek

I'm open to correction on this and will make a general comment about drink driving that has nothing to do with Ms Daly. If you are stopped at the side of the road and fail a breath test, I don't think they can use the breath analyser in the station if you claim to have had a drink within and hour or so before you have been stopped. Urine / blood test thereafter. As I said, this is my feeling on this, I could be wrong.

Getting back to Ms Daly, we must remember that she has not been convicted and still has her presumption of innocence. We should refrain from any comment which presupposes she is guilty before matters are heard in court.
Ken
Site Admin

Good to see that she was under the limit. However, she's not letting go on why her arrest was leaked to the media.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... ing31.html
Regards,

Ken.
Vlad the Impaler

I wouldn't be a huge fan of Clare Daly, but I have to say that it seems like the gardai were taking the pish a bit here with handcuffing her and leaking to the media.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... ing31.html
Bumblebee

Have to agree Vlad, especially as it seems the problem was with the breathalyzer machine not giving a reading and not her refusing to use it etc!!!
Mr. Stupid

Good piece here from her own site. She goes into some detail about her urine. Maybe she is taking the piss.
Vlad the Impaler

Mr. Stupid wrote: She goes into some detail about her urine. Maybe she is taking the piss.
Ha, didn't notice my pun - which was quite unintended.
Mr. Stupid

Sorry Vlad.