Keelings Sunday Carvery prices.

yelruf

Had Sunday Lunch in Keelings and found portions and pricing quite strange. The half portion costs ?9.50 and is almost the same size as the full. The full portion is ?10.90 and is huge. I sat for a while and noticed very, very few clean plates being cleared from tables, the wastage and expenses in refuse charges must be huge. The food, staff and service were great but no portion control at all ! I know the staff and management look at this site so I would appreciate any comments, views or reasons.
Moomer

might be easier to phone them to get their opinion?
loraine

Hi yelruf

I'm puzzled as to why you didn't say something to the Management/Staff of Keelings at the time if you were unhappy with their portion sizes/prices. Surely any comments made to the Management/Staff at the time would be far more beneficial than posting here
bear

I have been in my self on a Sunday and found the portions huge but if you ask for less never a problem.
yelruf

I simply posted to see if anyone agreed with me. I hate seeing waste, especially food. I thought if the portion size could be reduced it might be reflected in the price. Would basically love to eat in a place where every plate is empty when it's collected, where everyone thinks they got good value for money and I'd like that place to be Keelings !
diggerbarnes

I think it is something in the nature of sunday carveries. It's all about a bit more of this, and some of that, and gwan so stick a roaster on too. You cant really do that with half portions. It wouldn't be in Keeling's interest. And would cause bad feeling if they had to refuse a customer more gravy, or a little more turnip on the side.
Ann O
Site Admin

I never leave any ! :lol:
richard dawkins

Thanks for the heads up - might go down this Sunday as I think portions everywhere tend to be too small.
Moomer

clever bit of reverse pshycology marketing there ;)
Dowager

Hi all,

My experience of carvery meals is my eyes are bigger than my stomach and i am sure it is the same for a lot of people.All one has to do is ask the staff who are serving your requested meal to give less if one feels the portions may be too much.!

It's good for business not to be mean with portion control,therefore if one wants less one should say so or ask for half portions at half the price eg. the carvery price of 10.90 euros should be halved to 5.45 euros for half portions.I have on many occassions taken a elderly aunt to dine out in North County Dublin,she had half portions and paid exactly half price .The elderly and those on a low income would eat out more if they were facilitated in this way by the hospitality industry.

Keep supporting Keeling's just speak directly to the Management to discuss your concerns.If a concern is brought to their attention straight away in person or via e mail.I am certain it will be discussed among the hospitality team at a weekly meeting and ideas to remedy matters would be discussed and a solution found !
yelruf

Dowager,

This is the type of succinct discussion I was hoping to provoke. I have yet to see a place where a "half portion" costs half the price but I do think that's the way to go. In most places it seems non-negotiable. I remember a place many years ago off Parnell Square (Ma Byrnes) which was very, very popular with non-Dub's living here. She had a rule that if you didn't finish your main course she wouldn't serve you a Dessert, economy before profit ? In light of the countries rising obesity problem, rubbish problems and dwindling resources I think it is something every caterer should be addressing.

By the way I love Sunday Carvery Lunch in Keelings and would recommend it to all !
Dowager wrote:Hi all,

My experience of carvery meals is my eyes are bigger than my stomach and i am sure it is the same for a lot of people.All one has to do is ask the staff who are serving your requested meal to give less if one feels the portions may be too much.!

It's good for business not to be mean with portion control,therefore if one wants less one should say so or ask for half portions at half the price eg. the carvery price of 10.90 euros should be halved to 5.45 euros for half portions.I have on many occassions taken a elderly aunt to dine out in North County Dublin,she had half portions and paid exactly half price .The elderly and those on a low income would eat out more if they were facilitated in this way by the hospitality industry.

Keep supporting Keeling's just speak directly to the Management to discuss your concerns.If a concern is brought to their attention straight away in person or via e mail.I am certain it will be discussed among the hospitality team at a weekly meeting and ideas to remedy matters would be discussed and a solution found !
Dowager

Hi all.

I would like to see all eateries give their customers the option of ordering a half portion meal.I have on occassions eaten such a portion.Also on many occassions my eyes were bigger than my stomach and the restaurant supplied me with a Irish style doggy bag.This was great for a snack later!I came across this great customer service years ago when we as a family travelled to THE UNITED STATES Of America.on so many occassions.It was just the norm to offer to box up what was not eaten.In otherwords we got the value of the entire meals as a family and the restaurant had reduced wastage costs as a by product.Win win all round!

If the hospitality industry provide a smaller plate and also Irish style boxes to take home their own uneaten portions of their paid food.It would be win win!.Also if the boxes were available to purchase as a once off,one could return again and again and if your eyes were bigger than your stomach ,clear off the remainder of one's meal into one's own Irish Style Take home meal box.

Anyway ,there's some food for thought.Many establishments in north county Dublin now provide this service.!
Derek

We had Sunday lunch there today. Two full portions and two kids portions. Price was reasonable and the food was excellent. Enough said :D
gandalf the grey

Service in keelings
gandalf the grey

As above had carvery in keelings a few weeks ago, which was fine but didn't think much of girl taking money. Personality of a snail. But decided to give benefit of doubt til I went for dinner yesterday and found 2 girls (same as above) service was non existant got our own drinks twice at bar, ordered food at bar while they were chatting behind same. Come on keelings people won't come back !!!