Aldi Donabate

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane

Apparently the development beside the train station will have an Aldi as part of it. Supervalu wont be happy. It will save me on my trips to Santry for a Aldi.
Sunny

Also a bookies, hairdressers and a swimming pool
alkaline

And a garage that sells blue cars.

Aldi would be brilliant in D. Is the catchment area big enough for Aldi.

Years ago I heard Tesco were coming to town, that never developed.
micropoodle

Aldi build their own standalone shops. This development is a commercial unit with rent, rates etc and other shops within it.

I doubt it's Aldi tbh

Good point. But i have been in few that are not standalone.
Ken
Site Admin

Couldn't see Aldi coming to Donabate. I've heard that they're looking at River Valley in Swords which would make far more sense.
Regards,

Ken.

If not aldi, then some other supermarket 1200sqm shop floor.
pat mustard

Its the new Cop Shop with helipad of course!
Quello Serio

123 wrote:If not aldi, then some other supermarket 1200sqm shop floor.
I think that'll be Mace, based on the fact that "Mace" is written above the door on this drawing: http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/Northgat ... 488935.pdf, and Maxol and Mace have a business relationship: "We have partnered with SPAR in Northern Ireland and MACE in Southern Ireland."

Thats a different development. The garage is bring made all fancy.
Sunny

This is a big development and well worth checking out the planning docs.
Quello Serio

Sorry 123, I got the wrong one. Should have been looking at F15A/0181:
http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/Northgat ... 492629.pdf

And it is a major one. Traffic for this won't have been considered as part of the planning application for the Hospital in Portrane.
Sunny

Turns out it is Aldi.

Check the additional documentation provided.

http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/Northgate.WebSearch/(S(j3lwk055bejnthr0vzzqma55))/Results.aspx
Mr. Stupid

They are only planning 79 car parking spaces. Is that enough? What they omit in analysis like this is that the staff (for the various shops) will probably all drive taking up say 20 - 25 spaces. Other people will park there and may not be going to Aldi.

Fingal tend to always underestimate for parking.

One place where Donabate beats Malawhite is in Malawhite you just cannot get parking anymore. Not for free anyway. It has lost its village feel and become a town.
Derek

Mr. Stupid wrote:They are only planning 79 car parking spaces. Is that enough? What they omit in analysis like this is that the staff (for the various shops) will probably all drive taking up say 20 - 25 spaces. Other people will park there and may not be going to Aldi.

One place where Donabate beats Malawhite is in Malawhite you just cannot get parking anymore. Not for free anyway. It has lost its village feel and become a town.
This is a very good point: if we look at the ludicrous parking situation in LIdl Swords and how it frequently spills over into tailbacks on the Rathbeale Rd, we can easily see how poor the provision for parking there has been, yet it seems no lesson has been learned from that. Aldi in Donabate will undoubtedly attract a lot of customers from outside the area. Beraring in mind that any if us want to shop in Aldi currently, we have to trek to Santry, Finglas, Ashbourne or Drogheda south for our nearest store. Others in the same position as from Swords or other areas in the North County will all beat a path to Turvey if it opens....and assuming they can park there of course.
micropoodle

Mr. Stupid wrote:They are only planning 79 car parking spaces. Is that enough? What they omit in analysis like this is that the staff (for the various shops) will probably all drive taking up say 20 - 25 spaces. Other people will park there and may not be going to Aldi.

i still cant see Aldi actually opening up here. it doesn't make any sense. I know the report mentions 'a typical Aldi' store but it really doesnt make sense. Aldi were granted permission last year for a shop in Swords. Has that been canned?

If the Swords shop goes ahead then they are limiting their market to Donabate residents. Not like them to do that. Will be good for Donabate all the same.
padraig

TESCO
Ken
Site Admin

I'd agree. Can't see Aldi opening here as we simply don't have the population. 79 car parking spaces is nowhere near enough if there was an Aldi. Take a look at the disaster that is Lidl on Rathbeale Road in Swords. There are regularly queues out onto the main road as there aren't enough parking spaces at peak times.

There was an Aldi planned for River Valley in Swords, but I'm not sure what stage that is at. That makes far more sense in terms of a locaiton. We'll probably see a Spar or something similar opening there.
Regards,

Ken.
Austy

I'd be all for an Aldi opening up here (competition against Supervalu would be a good thing), but the biggest issues are the quality of Turvey Ave (it's too narrow) and the the acute junction at the top of the bridge. The junction at busy times will lead to tail backs and will make life a misery. Having said that, if it's not Aldi today, it will be someone else tomorrow that will place the need on the council to expand Turvey, upgrade the Hearse Rd and do something about that junction. I mean there is St Ita's, there is 165 houses going in at Beresford with another site behind that fit to take another 150-200 houses....the roads need upgrading. That acute corner should be pushed back out from the village and a roundabout installed, but I'd think that the different levels would be an issue.

As for the planning of the store, 79 spaces is on the tight side (there are 68 in Lidl in Swords) but the Aldi store in East Wall hardly has 79 either and works quite well.
Sunny

It is Aldi. I confirmed it with the council. This by the way is a huge development and is getting zero local attention.
bronorton

Any ideas on when this is expected to be built? Early 2016?
davidp

Hi All, I was talking to the manager of Supervalu yesterday and she said there were too many objections and Aldi wont be going ahead :(
pat mustard

"Too many objections"? Hardly anyone knew about this happening.seems odd.
Sydney

Too many objections?

#ConflictOfInterest ??

Anyone I've spoken to seems in favour of it!