New Houses at Beresford

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
TheBlowIn

As I understand it, some small internal wall changes were required for the last Beverton phase (where Austy bought) to allow for attic living spaces, which the owners could opt-in for on purchase. Hora confirmed to me that this wouldn't be required on our Beresford house, i.e., the layout is already suitable for conversion. You should check with them whether this is correct for your house type.

No intention of converting in the short term, but just wanted to future-proof it.
donnelbg

Hi Cazza,

Just backing up what TheBlowIn has said, according to Hora, the houses needed nothing changed from plan in order to do the attic conversion. We are in a 4 bed and made sure this was the case when we were buying. As far as I know, there were modifications between the last phase of Beverton and the new development in Beresford.

However, it does look like a stairs would cross infront of the gable window which would affect light coming in. This might be what Austy is talking about, Austy?

Cheers Austy for the info, we'll eventually be looking to convert!
Austy

Hi Donnelbg

It wouldn't surprise me if they did make a change between Beverton and Beresford, a lot of people asked for the wall/stair provision to be made.
Regarding the stairs cutting the window, mine cuts the top window corner by about an inch, so nothing too serious, however it depends on what type of stairs you go for. I'm speaking from the point of view of a 4 bed house, I don't know how the 3 beds compare.
We used a stairs with 3 winding steps to turn 90 degrees as opposed to a small half landing. If you go with the half landing option, your stairs becomes longer on the main length and this will cut much more of your gable window. It will also leave you with less room at the top of the stairs (something that you need to keep in mind regarding the door opening into the angled pitch of the ceiling) and also that the first step starts to foul the entry/exit of the small bedroom to the front of the house.
JohnL

I was in Beresford recently to have a look as I saw the houses on MyHome and thought we'd check them out. It looks like only Beresford Park has been completed which are all 3-beds. Is the parking not going to be an issue? It looked pretty tight to me to get two cars into the drives and it doesn't look like there is much room outside for say a visitor to park or for maybe a third car once the kids inevitably grow up and start driving.

Do any of you know are there plans for the footpath on Turvey Avenue to be completed so it's possible to walk safely from Beresford down to the train station and village on a continuous footpath?
aido123

There's two 4 beds at either end plus the detached is also a 4 bed. Parking looks tight in the 3 beds, we have a 4 bed & it's grand. Yea i can see parking been a problem for visitors and then when kids grow up & people have 3-4 cars per house. Will end up like other estates where people park half up on the green.

Anyone know if they'll raise the height of the road to the driveway, big gap there currently.

Regarding the footpath I got onto fingal about turvey avenue (flooding, leaves, potholes, path, speeding, ramps), I sent in evidence of all of this & all I got was ramps coming soon & that was it.

Personally I was getting the train for a few months but back to driving again as don't feel safe on that stretch. Also train service is sh1t from Donabate. :-)
Mr. Stupid

All new estates have parking issues. The reason is because the county councils are only obliged to make the road 6M in width. Whereas an old estate could have a width of 8M. This means parking on the road means you are more than likely blocking someone pulling out. Also, the developer will put in as many houses as possible and isn't obliged to provide the same level of Green space as say they were in the 1980s which I think was 1 / 8th of the land had to remain as green space.

These guidelines won't change. We live in Dublin where everyone wants to live so the way to look at it is for a new house you get better insulation, better build quality but either your garden (front and / or back) will be smaller and parking will at some stage get cramped.
Cazza

Austy thanks a million for all your advise! We are type C, 3 bedded semi detached. We spoke about an attic conversion when buying and the necessity to move an internal wall was never mentioned. Have made preliminary equiries with an attic conversion company who are currently working in the estate and they brought up about the possibility of having to move an internal wall-lets hope he is wrong!
Cazza

donnelbg wrote:Hi Cazza,

Just backing up what TheBlowIn has said, according to Hora, the houses needed nothing changed from plan in order to do the attic conversion. We are in a 4 bed and made sure this was the case when we were buying. As far as I know, there were modifications between the last phase of Beverton and the new development in Beresford.

However, it does look like a stairs would cross infront of the gable window which would affect light coming in. This might be what Austy is talking about, Austy?

Cheers Austy for the info, we'll eventually be looking to convert!

Thanks Donnelbg, we thought the same when we were buying so are quite surprised and disappointed at the thought of having to have an internal wall moved to accommodate stairs to the third floor! Anyway will find out more when I meet the man from the attic conversion company next week.
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Note that there's more than one way to skin a cat. When we had our attic converted (different, older estate) three different crowds suggested three different methods of getting the stairs up, all sacrificing different levels of space on the first floor.

Their recommendations in the end were based on;
- what they were 'used' to doing
- what would make them the most money
- what would be faster

with little / no consideration for what my priorities were.

So don't just take the word of one company. Most houses these days in estates are designed for easy conversions. I'd start with asking the developer to explain how they envisaged the stairs going up.
Mr. Stupid

I'd agree with Bill. My sister just bought a house with an attic conversation and one little trick the guy who did it was when the stairs met the top of the attic, put in a velux window in, giving a little bit more headspace when you are at the top step and needed to turn to go through the door. Without that trick the stairs would have had to come out to the middle and she would have lost space.
aido123

Is it just me or does anyone else think the waterpump upstairs in the middle of the house is quite noisy?
Derek

From my own experience (and not in Beresford by the way) an upstairs pump will be noisy if it's sitting directly on the floor. The noise and vibrations from the pump will echo through the upstairs floor cavities. I was able to raiser my pump off the floor quite easily as it's plumbed using flexi connections. It's sitting on rubber blocks and is now much quieter.
Ken
Site Admin

Not in Beresford either, but we have a pump upstairs for the showers and they are quite noisy. They also tend to get noisier as they get older.
Regards,

Ken.
Austy

The pumps are on the noisy side, however you do get used to them.
On the other hand, has anyone ever heard a 'knocking' sound from them when you turn on the hot tap or shower full blast if it hasn't been on for a while?
aido123

Not yet Austy, perhaps give the builder a shout.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll ask the builder for advice on raising it and perhaps sound proofing the pump room a little.
TheBlowIn

My Beresford pump is noisy too, and I think it's down to how it's installed. The pump is sitting on small pieces of foam pipe insulation, but has screws going from the pump base through the foam and into the OSB flooring. My guess is that the screws are transmitting the pump's vibration to the floor, which is then acting as a speaker.

I'll probably try putting in an isolation mount for the pump that removes any rigid connection between it and the floor. Something simple like siliconing the pump to a tile, then siliconing the other face of the tile to the floor might work, but there's probably something purpose-made. You need some damped mounting that still stops the pump wandering around the hot press.

Let us know how you get on, would knock another item off my to-do list!
diggerbarnes

Why don't you pop into Heat Merchants up in Turvey Business park for a chat. The lads in there are very friendly and knowledgeable.
donnelbg

Anyone finding their attics a bit damp?

I never had an attic before (poor me! :o ) but things I've stored up there feel a good bit damp to touch. Anyone know if this is normal?

Also, the attachment where the extractor fan ducting meets the roof doesn't seem the best really, seems very loose. I reckon my two problems are one and the same!

Are damp attics normal? Anyone in Beverton/Beresford having the same issues?

Cheers!
TheBlowIn

donnelbg wrote:Anyone finding their attics a bit damp?

I never had an attic before (poor me! :o ) but things I've stored up there feel a good bit damp to touch. Anyone know if this is normal?

Also, the attachment where the extractor fan ducting meets the roof doesn't seem the best really, seems very loose. I reckon my two problems are one and the same!

Are damp attics normal? Anyone in Beverton/Beresford having the same issues?

Cheers!
I haven't found our Beresford attic damp, although I don't check it much. It is feels much colder than most attics (which is a good thing), probably due to the insulation under the attic floor, so the attic space isn't really heated by the house. I'd check the ventilation in the soffits etc. to make sure there's airflow through the space, no insulation blocking these up etc, and that the attic door fits well to keep damp air out.

Our extractor duct was reworked by Hora, though we didn't actually report an issue. I think one of the houses had a broken duct connection (fancy name for lots of tape!), so ours was done as a preventative. From the sounds of it, yours needs the same treatment.
donnelbg

Thanks for the reply BlowIn,

Can I ask what was done to your duct? Did they replace the fancy tape with something better? (I haven't liked the tape approach since I first saw it). The attics are definitely cold, I have no problem with that for the reasons you listed. But I suspect the duct is venting moist air into the attic, I'll get onto Hora and see what he says.

Cheers!
TheBlowIn

donnelbg wrote: Can I ask what was done to your duct? Did they replace the fancy tape with something better?
I think the tape was just replaced, looks pretty much the same as it did before. Wasn't there to see the work, though. Seems to be working fine, though this reminds me to check it the next time I'm in the attic.
Archdale

Apologies for asking the same question again but finally getting close to moving in and this question is relevant again. Considering converting the attic in one of the 4 bed houses and wondering what company people who have already converted went with. We got a quote for the full conversion which was quite steep and want to shop around first. Also what are the planning permission requirements ? I am a bit sceptical that we are being told we don't need it by saying that the room will be described as a "non habitable" room. Just trying to avoid problems years down the line if we decided to sell up.
dublin

I have ran the conversion past an architect who seemed satisfied with the process as described, including planning permission. There are a number of building regulations which a contractor would have to adhere to (staircase pitch, appropriate egress from velux windows). Probably no problem to an experienced contractor but I'm not sure how you would go about getting it in writing. In terms of meeting planning permissions, I think the velux windows have to be to the rear of the house.

I have only went as far as receiving a telephone-quote/ballpark-figure from Hora's recommendation. This appeared reasonable when run past the same architect. Would like to see the layout/specification of the finished work from the same builder...
Jezza

Do any of you fine gentlemen know how long it takes to walk from the estate to the train station?
aido123

7 minutes from from gates to train station at a brisk walk (long legs), 12 minutes at a nice leisurely stroll.