New Houses at Beresford

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Residents19

Hi,

I was out in the estate today and noticed a few of the houses at the entrance of the estate (I think its Beresford road/ green) has something that looks like a yellow moss growing on the roof. Does anyone know what this is? Just surprised as they are still new houses .
Thanks
cc21

Hi, I might be wrong but I think the moss is growing on the roofs that are north facing - they get no direct sunlight :-( I wonder why it looks so obvious on these houses and not on north facing houses in other estates?
Fr Jack

cc21 wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 00:33 Hi, I might be wrong but I think the moss is growing on the roofs that are north facing - they get no direct sunlight :-( I wonder why it looks so obvious on these houses and not on north facing houses in other estates?
Quality of the tiles would be a factor.
DaisyDoo

Hi long time follower of the thread. Have had my eye on Beresford for the past year and having viewed the 4 beds We are pretty definite about buying one in the coming weeks. Just wondering for people who aren’t from Donabate itself what you think of Donabate itself? We’ve young children and there appears to be a lot of social clubs etc for them which is brilliant, I’m just wondering more like can you stroll into the village and get a nice coffee or lunch/dinner and if the local pubs are OK? Or do you have to drive to Swords, Skerries etc. Hoping somebody can advise. Many thanks.
RunningAround

loewe55 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 17:47 Hi there, hopefully moving into Crescent in next few weeks.... any further updates on available internet providers??
Is there Virgin and/or Eir available now? Or is Sky an option as well?

Thank you.
We recently moved into the Court, our only option was virgin media. They hooked it up really quickly though, and we’ve had no issues so far with the connection.
Quello Serio

DaisyDoo wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 13:03 Just wondering for people who aren’t from Donabate itself...
Thats pretty much everyone. Welcome, fellow blow-in.
DaisyDoo wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 13:03 I’m just wondering more like can you stroll into the village and get a nice coffee or lunch/dinner and if the local pubs are OK? Or do you have to drive to Swords, Skerries etc.
I think its a great place to live, but don't get your hopes up, its not a shopping or dining destination. It has the bare minimum. Not likely to change any time soon, because there isn't any plan to extend or improve the village center - just more housing. Maybe an increase in population will increase the chance of more businesses surviving for longer. Swords or Malahide is where its at. I see very little interaction between Donabate and Skerries/Rush/Lusk.
DaisyDoo

Thanks for the reply Quello Serio. Just trying to figure out what local amenities are available, I love walking and where I am now I can walk to so many different places so I’d hate to be totally dependent on driving everywhere. I think I probably need to hop out of the car in Beresford and explore on foot a bit more. Great to hear you are happy there and enjoying Donabate.
Gillchan

DaisyDoo wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 13:03 Hi long time follower of the thread. Have had my eye on Beresford for the past year and having viewed the 4 beds We are pretty definite about buying one in the coming weeks. Just wondering for people who aren’t from Donabate itself what you think of Donabate itself? We’ve young children and there appears to be a lot of social clubs etc for them which is brilliant, I’m just wondering more like can you stroll into the village and get a nice coffee or lunch/dinner and if the local pubs are OK? Or do you have to drive to Swords, Skerries etc. Hoping somebody can advise. Many thanks.
Hi

We have 2 young children and find it great. They are too small to appreciate fine dining but for now we walk into the village and stop at Kates for coffee and hot chocolate. We do same to Newbridge and go g or walks/playground/bike rides and use the cafe there too. We also go to cafe natural in the community centre. Nice coffee and the kids get an ice cream, then we go upstairs to the library. We also occasionally drive up to the cafe at Jones Garden Centre for lunch and on a couple of occasions we have walked into the village with them and had some lunch in Keelings. They love it all. They also get a real kick out of driving down to the beach with a flask of hot chocolate in tow. For adults train into Malahide is great.
Séamus Mac Brádaigh

DaisyDoo wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 13:03 Hi long time follower of the thread. Have had my eye on Beresford for the past year and having viewed the 4 beds We are pretty definite about buying one in the coming weeks. Just wondering for people who aren’t from Donabate itself what you think of Donabate itself? We’ve young children and there appears to be a lot of social clubs etc for them which is brilliant, I’m just wondering more like can you stroll into the village and get a nice coffee or lunch/dinner and if the local pubs are OK? Or do you have to drive to Swords, Skerries etc. Hoping somebody can advise. Many thanks.
Donabate is great but there are very few facilities in the area with no plans to develop any more facilities. Swords is too close so Donabate will never be able to expand it's range of facilities.

The quality of the local cafes, restaurants, pubs and shops is middling to poor and you will have to travel elsewhere to get hold of something decent.

Footpaths are narrow and dangerous in parts and there are no cycle lanes. If you have children, you have no choice but to drive everywhere.
Gillchan

Daisydoo,

To add, if you are moving into Beresford walking into the village is fine for paths. You can walk thru the Beverton Estate. There are plans to put a gate in newer parts of Beresford (not built yet AFAIK) which will link closer to the village. It's this route that we walk to the library too. The new gate to Newbridge on Turvey Avenue is great. It's 5 minutes to it from Beresford gates if even that.
DaisyDoo

Thanks for the feedback, great to hear from residents themselves.
Residents19

Thanks for feedback on moss on roofs.

I hope it is because they are north facing and not because of the quality of tile
moving

Hello, my family are thinking of moving to Beresford. It looks like a lovely estate. Does anyone have any information about the pedestrian walk way from Beresford Court to Beverton? From google maps it looks like the best route for walking to schools and the village. Thanks.
loewe55

RunningAround wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 17:16
loewe55 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 17:47 Hi there, hopefully moving into Crescent in next few weeks.... any further updates on available internet providers??
Is there Virgin and/or Eir available now? Or is Sky an option as well?

Thank you.
We recently moved into the Court, our only option was virgin media. They hooked it up really quickly though, and we’ve had no issues so far with the connection.
Great - thanks a mill - good to know.
evebros

moving wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 19:44 Hello, my family are thinking of moving to Beresford. It looks like a lovely estate. Does anyone have any information about the pedestrian walk way from Beresford Court to Beverton? From google maps it looks like the best route for walking to schools and the village. Thanks.
Hi, I recently asked the site office when they expected this walkway to open. They said they were waiting for the council to advise them how they wanted it built and that they expected it would be around 6 - 8 weeks, so hopefully it will happen before the end of the year! Were you given an estimated completion date for the walkway? Did they tell you the same thing?

I think it’s going to cut the journey time to the village by about 4-5 minutes. Also, it’s muchn nicer walking through Beverton than on Turvey road so I’m looking forward to it.
moving

evebros wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 10:17
Hi, I recently asked the site office when they expected this walkway to open. They said they were waiting for the council to advise them how they wanted it built and that they expected it would be around 6 - 8 weeks, so hopefully it will happen before the end of the year! Were you given an estimated completion date for the walkway? Did they tell you the same thing?

I think it’s going to cut the journey time to the village by about 4-5 minutes. Also, it’s muchn nicer walking through Beverton than on Turvey road so I’m looking forward to it.
cheers
RunningAround

evebros wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 10:17
moving wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 19:44 Hello, my family are thinking of moving to Beresford. It looks like a lovely estate. Does anyone have any information about the pedestrian walk way from Beresford Court to Beverton? From google maps it looks like the best route for walking to schools and the village. Thanks.

I heard at the weekend it’s going to be done in around 5 weeks! Fingers and toes crossed 😊
Newtoarea

Hi there,
does anyone have a contact name / number for a decent Snagging company?
We are finally due to snag our house at top end of the Court next week ( only a year later than anticipated🤪).
Any replies are really appreciated.
Thanks
RunningAround

Newtoarea wrote: 08 Oct 2019, 21:13 Hi there,
does anyone have a contact name / number for a decent Snagging company?
We are finally due to snag our house at top end of the Court next week ( only a year later than anticipated🤪).
Any replies are really appreciated.
Thanks
We used the Hora recommended snag company homesnag. Tom was really thorough, we were very happy overall.

Snagging Tom Costello - Homesnag 086 8469542
archik

Hi folks,

Been reading through this lengthy thread and just wanna thank everyone for contributing and sharing your experiences.

Got a question for anyone who has a north facing back garden ... can you please advise whether you have any sun light at your back garden and in general is there plenty of natural light in the house throughout the day?
Jerrydoha

Just had Colin Daly from Breffni Renewables over to get the heat pump serviced. Did a great job. Radiator bleeding, filter cleaning etc etc. Inside and outside done.
cbc

archik wrote: 14 Oct 2019, 17:25 Hi folks,

Been reading through this lengthy thread and just wanna thank everyone for contributing and sharing your experiences.

Got a question for anyone who has a north facing back garden ... can you please advise whether you have any sun light at your back garden and in general is there plenty of natural light in the house throughout the day?
In Summer you have sun in am, but mostly garden in shade by 5. Noticed sat morning the way the sun was that gardens were still mostly shaded.
Even with this orientation, i dont think the kitchens are dark with windows and patio door, good bit of light comes in velux on the pitched bit of roof(actually i'm unsure if latest house types have this).
archik

Hi Folks,

Apologies in advance for silly question, but have never really lived in semi-detached house before as grew up in the apartments ... so here it goes:

How soundproof are semi-detached houses? How much do you hear from neighbours? Would really appreciate, if someone could share their personal experience regarding this ... We are looking to buy three bed semi-detached in the estate.
Laura P

Hi everyone, I am new to this. Thanks for all the contributions on this thread, it's been really helpful. Myself and my partner have put a deposit on one of the beresford avenue houses that are due to be built in April 2020. The bank is requesting a valuation. Has anyone gone about this yet? Do you know if foundations for the 3bed semi-ds in beresford avenue have been laid yet? Thanks for your help
Gillchan

archik wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 13:30 Hi Folks,

Apologies in advance for silly question, but have never really lived in semi-detached house before as grew up in the apartments ... so here it goes:

How soundproof are semi-detached houses? How much do you hear from neighbours? Would really appreciate, if someone could share their personal experience regarding this ... We are looking to buy three bed semi-detached in the estate.
The sound insulation between these houses is excellent. We do not hear our neighbours at all. Everyone on this road says same.