Laptop repair

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
ah_yeah

Wondering if anyone could recommend a good reliable laptop repair service nearby ( will consider suggestions too for city centre but local area preferable) ?

I've a windows 7 laptop that needs the fan fixed/overheating issues, to be sped up a little bit and have the battery replaced.

If anyone has any recommendations please send them my way !
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

For the battery, get a genuine one from Amazon / online, it will be much cheaper than a retailer.

For fan issues, often a can of compressed air + the right youtube video and tools will allow you to clean it out yourself too.
Jabba

I and some of my family have used this firm for repairs to laptops/phones etc and found this very good, they have moved since we last used them but are still in Swords

http://www.itechrepairs.ie/#home
Derek

With regard to overheating issues, some laptops were sold with defective BIOS which only turns the fans on full when the latop is so hot that it's practically on fire. This obviously will result in a excess of heat and perhaps overheating. The BIOS is not part of the operating system so it doesn't update automatically like Windows itself does. Log onto the laptop manufacturers website and check using the laptop's model number to confirm what the latest BIOS version is. The BIOS can be upgraded by downloading the latest version available and applying it in accordance with its installation instructions. This can be tricky and the installation procedure specified should be followed to the letter. You're welcome to PM me if you need any pointers. :)
jayflame

Big Tip.
Hoover the fan outlet area.

More often than not, people have laptops, on their laps.
Either on their clothes or on bedding, this sucks up the dust from clothes which then get clogged on the cooling fins of the Processor Heat Sink.

I use my laptop all day everyday and every month, open it up and clear out the fan and Heat Sink.

Laptops I have repaired in the past, on average, have a carpet thickness layer of dust blocking the fans exit.

If you can open the back up to access the fan, you may be able to remove the fan to access the cooling fins.

YouTube has some very good videos on laptop and phone repairs.
Search for your device and include "Tear down" in your search.

Or you could PM me with further details.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=22