Beverton - Fireplaces suitable for Open Fire?

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Goolay

Hi all,

Apologies for the very random post but just had a quick query. I bought in Beverton last year (Beverton Lawns) and there was a gas fireplace installed. We were thinking of getting it converted to an open fire this year. I believe it's either a very small and easy job if the chimney is ready to go for an open fire (ie, just cap the gas and take out the gas fireplace) or a big job of relining the chimney etc.

Does anyone in Beverton have an open fire and if so did you have to have anything converted? Took a wonder around the last chilly day and didn't notice any smoke.

I have called a few places to come take a look over the past month but no one has actually bothered to come out yet :)

Thanks!
Aster

Hiya,
We have an open fire in Beverton and we love it. Use it regularly. It was an open fire when we bought it so i don't know about the costs involved in converting from gas.
Goolay

Thanks Aster
BRUCE

If you see a chimney on your roof, then you should be fine.

You might want to look into a wood burner. The problem with open fires is they draw air from the room & up through the roof. Consider the fact that during the winter you are paying to heat this air that escaped through your chimney.

Woodburning stoves also burn timber more efficiently, so you don’t go through as many logs. You get a nice flame as well.

A coulpe of links.

http://borustoves.ie

http://www.thestovedepot.ie

Finally, Whether you have an open fire, gas fire or wood burner, get a carbon monoxide alarm if you don’t have one already.
pat mustard

re the chimney line and its fine. whilst there are houses with open fires here in Somerton, many others have been told the setup is not right for an open fire.

i kid you not.

maybe someone with better info can advise more.

don't want to burn the buns off santa unneccessarily. (can never spell that right)
Goolay

Thanks, guess I'd better have an expert take a look to be sure. Has been remarkably hard just to try to get someone to come out and take a look but have assurances now someone will be out "in the next few weeks".

Re: wood burning stove, had thought of that alright but have a very limited budget and hoping that changing to open fire will just be a case of capping the gas, removing it and sticking in a grate so <€100

thanks for the help guys
ah_yeah

We've an open fire here in Beverton. It was a gas one like yours and we changed it to a regular one a few years ago while doing renovations. It was just a simple remove the gas fire and cap the gas line for us.
Goolay

Fantastic, thanks. Just what I was hoping to hear :)
Lo-cal

I live in Beverton and have a gas fire. It was fitted by a local guy and I'm sure he would be able to reverse the process i.e. capping gas, etc. If you are having problems getting someone to come and look at it for you his name is Sean Morris, tel 086-8707123.