modular housing

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
EB1986

Yeah this is something we all need to do....not just wait for someone else to do it.
Vlad the Impaler

The site is mentioned by one of our local councillors Paul Mulville n the attached link. Watch it from around 31:00 mins in.

He seems extremely supportive of the idea. Even wants to get it built ahead of new road infrastructure it appears.

http://www.fingalcoco.public-i.tv/core/ ... ive/228514
Vlad the Impaler

For the record, I think all areas should take their fair share of social housing.

I think the modular housing malarkey is an exercise in political expediency rather than long term thinking. The sort of short termism that seems to be a problem in this country.

Speech over.
1stimer

Vlad the Impaler wrote:The site is mentioned by one of our local councillors Paul Mulville n the attached link. Watch it from around 31:00 mins in.

He seems extremely supportive of the idea. Even wants to get it built ahead of new road infrastructure it appears.

http://www.fingalcoco.public-i.tv/core/ ... ive/228514
So it looks like their plan is to put them in beside Donabate Golf Club is that what took out of it Vlad? On your other point - agree wholeheartedly. Fair share of social housing not modular.
Vlad the Impaler

Seems to be, 1stTimer.
micropoodle

it's not clear to me from that video that Paul Mulville is in favour of modular housing, but maybe he is and i didn't understand it too well.

i think for anyone to be happy with modular housing in this day and age has to be crazy. They will effectively be trailer parks. There's no other way of describing it.

Instead of following best practice and integrating social housing within noon-social housing, they have decided to build potential ghettos which will more than likely become extremely problematic within 10 years. Granted that is just my opinion but surely history has taught us that much? Integration, not ghettoisation is what is required.

as far as i understand it the schools have waiting lists already. Will they be providing extra capacity for the families who move into the modular housing? Let me answer my own question.....NO, of course they wont!

Short-term thinking, leading to major long-term problems. That's all this is.
Vlad the Impaler

I think it's the wasteland that's off the New Road down from the Strand. Backs onto the Links.
blow-in

Interested to hear if anyone has any updates in relation to this hot topic? As many have said, the issue of integrated social housing is not the issue, it is the approach being taken. If the councils enforced the 10% social housing allocation for ALL developments, instead of allowing the developers buy this option out, this would achieve a solution that would be acceptable by all.

Have any of our public representatives provided any communication or any answers, in relation to the concerns raised? Is it time for a Donabate Community public consultation?
Vlad the Impaler

Give them a shout Blowin. Perhaps remind them that they serve their local constituents, rather than some greater idealism or paying for the mistakes of others.
Stiofan

Apparently it's at discussion stage, to be discussed further soon.

As per above, you're better off contacting your local politicians, if you have concerns. Particularly if you live near or on the New Road.
1stimer

Anybody else hear that this is being progressed to start in the next couple of months? Heard it from someone in Swords who said the Swords and Donabate plans are being progressed by FCC.
EB1986

Never heard anything. Ofcourse they wouldnt advertise it well such as community discussion etc. This will be an absoulte blight on the community. Look how much antinsocial behaviour already happening. Places like tgat are just a breathing ground for crime. Before the Pc police start moaning...get real modular houses are to house the scroungers of society.