Aldi Donabate

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Ken
Site Admin

Unless there was major redevelopment of that junction, it would be a disaster traffic-wise. The fact that there's no Aldi close by would also mean that people would travel into Donabate for it. At the moment, the nearest Aldi is Santry/Ballymun.

I would guess that many of the objections are from residents around it and local traders that would be in competition. Given the location and potential traffic disruption, it wouldn't be too difficult to make a case against it.
Regards,

Ken.
Banana

There is no decision on this yet , all the planning docs and observations made are on the fingal coco website , the general gist of it is the planners asked for additional information to be provided, there are about 6 observations submitted, mainly concerns about traffic and pedestrians crossing to newbridge, oh and tesco aren't happy either, but no planning decision yet
davidp

Dont shoot the messenger :) something to do with traffic and the lack of road..have to say the bridge is a complete bottleneck and more houses being built :roll:
micropoodle

i personally think it would be great for Donabate if an Aldi did open up.

however work needs to be done with the bridge junction before it's even considered.

the lack of joined up thinking which we are synonymous with in this country could result in big problems in the village.

First of all we have the dozens of extra lorries daily that will be travelling over that bridge in both directions with both the Central Mental hospital going ahead and of course delivery vehicles to the new supermarket.
Now we have an extra 140 or so houses on Turvey being built and occupied without any extra infrastructure. I realise that the opening of an Aldi would be an extra, but i'm specifically referring to no extra buses, no extra trains or train capacity, a poor road network into and out of Donabate.

As I say, I welcome Aldi, the hospital etc, but not until road/route changes are made in our village, which clearly is not going to happen
ddd

Well, it looks like the decision is to grant permission

http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/Northgat ... 503879.pdf
beachboy

I only found our about Aldi planning to build in Donabate only about three weeks ago!!! I say Supervalu were the ones objecting to the competition!!!. I am in favour of Aldi been in Donabate, after all serious competition is needed to get supervalu to up there game...
davidp

All for competition, look at Ryanair and Air Fungus saying "It is impossibe to fly return to London for under 300 pounds" showing my age now :)
Ken
Site Admin

I'm all for competition myself, but it's the traffic chaos that really worries me.
Regards,

Ken.
diggerbarnes

Would the car park not be on the Turvey side of the bridge? Turvey avenue is a quiet enough stretch at most times, it could probably take the volume leaving the bridge free for locals who live on the 'the better' side of town.
rudy

even though traffic would increase it would still be great for the community and a rival for supervalu
Al the Pal

A disaster - traffic madness and riff raff from all over North County Dublin swarming to the village to buy cheap track suits and low cost alcohol...
pat mustard

they do great power tools also!

Best veg out of all the shops around.

bring it on!
Ken
Site Admin

Great for buying stuff you don't need. I keep finding things in drawers I forgot I bought. I'm sure I've a yoke for removing stones from camel's hooves somewhere.
Regards,

Ken.
matthew22

Turvey Avenue retail units : Lodged by developer on 24th April 2015, planning permission granted on 8th September 2015.
This development will have huge consequences for both traffic and retail units already in Donabate, do we need more "cafes", etc. It would be better suited to be near the Centra Garage at the top of Turvey Avenue where there is better access. This went completely under the radar for a lot of people in Donabate who knew nothing about it, no newsletters from our public representatives on this!!!!!
Mr. Stupid

My main issue with it is that it looks pretty ugly and too close to the Footpath. Another eye sore.
JohnPaulTheTenth

The eyesore is what's there right now.
Yours Sincerely, JPX
jayflame

Is that area actually Donabate?
Or should it be Turvey or Staffordstown Turvey?

If it is going to be called Aldi Donabate, would it not put Donabate area coverage on par with Swords?

Yes the Donabate is on 'the map' and the surrounding area is classed as Donabate for ease of identifying location for those that don't know.
But realistically, what is the Donabate Boundary? The Fingal County Council maps for all areas don't make sense at all.

Oh I know, lets build something in an area know by locals as 'Joe Blogs Town' but because 'so & so' is nearby and known better, lets call it 'so & so'.
The result, that 'Joe Blogs Town' get lost/forgotten as the better know areas swallow up the lesser known surrounding rural areas.
pat mustard

This has gone quiet, has anyone heard anything about it happening?
Quello Serio

Aldi got planning permission fairly recently for a store at Seatown Road in Swords. I though that would kill off any chance of an Aldi opening in Donabate, but then Lidl stared building a second Swords store.
donnelbg

I ain't heard nothin!

But, I would have to agree with people saying that it will probably be a nightmare for traffic in that area. Would the roundabout at GreatGas not be a much better place to serve Donabate and the surrounding areas?