Scrumdiddly's

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Vlad the Impaler

... I know. Calling the clampers is bad form.
Ann O
Site Admin

The road is not wide enough to accommodate parking on one side of it, without causing the ridiculous delays and dangerous parking there when Scrumdiddlys is busy.

I actually had someone blocking the entrance to my house a few weeks ago. They were quite put out that I had the audacity to ask them to move so that I could park on my drive :roll:
SuperMom

More of the same this year - infuriatingly difficult for residents on New Road & Patricks Terrace to access own property. What can be done to alleviate this issue & cars parked all day by commuters?
Ann O
Site Admin

There needs to be double yellow lines on both sides of the road.
Ken
Site Admin

Time to get onto the local counsellors.
Regards,

Ken.
Vlad the Impaler

Tbh, I find their ice cream a bit bland.
bear

Ann O wrote:There needs to be double yellow lines on both sides of the road.
Would this make any difference to some people?.I have seen the cones over the yellow lines and cars still parked there.
patsman

Its up to the Gardai to enforce the parking. I questioned a woman one day who parked on the corner. Her reply was what do expect me to do I have 3 children who want ice cream.
Al the Pal

I notice that many of the people who park outside Scrumdiddleys tend to be overweight. If they are going to eat ice cream they should at least walk a bit further to the place...
Harry Byrne

Its getting worse, yesterday's traffic jams were an absolute nuisance. At this stage I'd say to hell with them, put a double yellow all the way down the village green along the New Road.
diggerbarnes

Either that or free scrummy tubs for the locals.
Vlad the Impaler

It's probably a public health hazard at this stage when the sun shines. Could easily block access for emergency services.

Must be great for the guy who owns it though...
Loo

Am I the only one who is getting totally fed up with the effect the ice cream shop is having on the traffic - it is getting ridicouless and I fear for the summer. I have just tried to get out of my road onto the main road to go round to supervalue and gave up after waiting ten minutes. It is starting to affect my daily life in trying to get in and out for shopping etc before the shop opens particularly if it is a fine day. This is not fair to the residents. I have no objection to people making a living but it is crazy when I have to plan my day around a shop opening - selling ICE CREAM. There is going to be a major incident one of these days because of the traffic, because people will only park as close the shop as they can - I saw a guy parking in front of the parking cars in front the shop last weekend - and they then sit in their cars eating their ice creams. This used to be a nice place to live where you didn't have to plan your day around a shop opening hours - I am dreading the summer if it is going to be a good one. Who can do something about this ? TDs,The council???????????????/
coyote36

I have to agree. The situation this afternoon was ridiculous with the traffic trying to get to the beach spilling out onto the main road as the traffic was gridlocked. I'm not sure how much Scrumdiddlys can do to police the situation. It is inconsiderate drivers who are putting others in danger and their will be a serious accident. All for an Ice Cream!
Ken
Site Admin

There was a tail back beyond the garage for most of the day. It took me about 15 minutes to get from one side of the town to the other.

There are inconsiderate drivers everywhere that will park as close as possible to where they want to get to even if that means inconveniencing others. We've seen them before obstructing the footpath outside the old post office, parking on the main road in front of the shopping centre and parking in the disabled spaces at the rear of the shopping centre.

The only way to solve this is to put double yellow lines down both sides of the New Road and have the Guards or a Traffic Warden ticket offenders.

Given that we can't get a Garda presence to deal with far more serious crime, I can't see this happening anytime soon.

I don't feel there is anything Scrumdiddly's can do about it. They can't be held responsible for where people park.
Regards,

Ken.
coyote36

I don't think that even double yellow lines would work as cars would just park on them with no fear of anything happening to them. Maybe road narrowing might work?
TheBlowIn

Ken wrote: I don't feel there is anything Scrumdiddly's can do about it. They can't be held responsible for where people park.
They should be the ones most engaged with Fingal etc. to improve this, given they have the biggest interest in customers going through the doors. Poor traffic affects their business too.

They obviously can't control how people park, but it must surely be affecting sales at this stage as people see the jams and decide to get a HB instead somewhere else.
Ken
Site Admin

Look at the queues over the weekend. This definitely isn't impacting their business.
Regards,

Ken.
Pedro

The queue to get into Scrummys was out past the entrance to Macaris at 5pm. Heading into the village from the garage at a snail's pace and kids darting across the road right on the bend to join the queue.... it's only a matter of time before there's an incident.
Ann O
Site Admin

The was a Garda car driving around the green around 4pm, actually on the green driving around the people sitting there.
Mr. Stupid

The illegal parking could be dealt with by clamping. I think Fingal CC would be responsible for making that happen. Not sure.
Quello Serio

I don't think clamping would work there. Apart from the flawed logic of using a clamp to prevent a badly parked car from moving, most of the parking is very short term, and the driver is near. So its worth the risk. As soon as the clampers arrive, everyone would scatter, but they'd circle around and come back when the coast is clear. If it was me, I'd post a lookout for that purpose.

I think ScrumDiddlys should do something to improve their throughput. The layout of the shop is poor. If the queue was half the size, there'd be many less cars waiting at any time.
padraig

Hey guys,

How about a appeal to our two local representatives Adrian Henchy and Paul Mullville, to make a request to Fingal County Council for:

(a) double yellow lines on either side of the road for approximately 100m past the intersection with the Hearse rd. and,

(b) a parking attendant writing out fines for illeagle parking on Friday's, Saturday's, Sunday's and bank holiday Monday's all day.

Or is this to much to ask?
Loo

Here we go again. Sunny Saturday afternoon. Tailback at 3pm yesterday back to Newbridge. Had to go around the estuary to get home.............Crazy :cry:
pat mustard

The delays yesterday were due to multiple lazy dodgy parking manoeuvres outside the cemetery on Portrane road.I too had I initially blamed SDs.