Fingal election poll

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane

Who will you give your bleedin' numero uno to?

Poll ended at 23 Feb 2016, 15:48

James Reilly (Fine Gael / Business)
33%
Alan Farrell (Fine Gael / Business)
14%
Darragh O'Brien (Fianna Fail / Brown envelopes)
19%
Louise O'Reilly (Sinn Fein / IRA)
10%
Brendan Ryan (Labour / Public Sector)
10%
Terry Kelleher (People before Profit / People who don't want to pay any tax and never make a profit)
5%
Joe O'Brien (Green Party / Tree hugging PC wannabe liberals)
No votes
Clare Daly (Independents / Principled head bangers)
10%
Gerry Molly (Renua / Pro-life richies only)
No votes

Total votes: 21
Mr. Stupid

On the ballot paper Reilly was down the very bottom. In the middle was O'Reilly with no photo. I think people voted for O'Reilly thinking they were voting for Reilly,

I can't for the life of me understand how Farrell polled ahead of him.
Vlad the Impaler

So Fianna Fáil are back...
Attachments
image.jpeg
micropoodle

so with the exception of JR, the people of Fingal are essentially happy with their lot having re-elected Daly, Farrell and Ryan.

I thought that Reilly would get ahead of Farrell as with the exception of him hiring his wife early days, Farrell has been extremely low profile. And as for Ryan, maybe I'm missing something but I really don't know what his contribution has been. I met him once and he's a nice man, but I'm surprised all the same.

I disagree with the idea that there was a mix up between Louise O'Reilly and James Reilly.
On my ballot paper the only picture missing was that of Fergal O'Connell. The rest of their faces were there including Reilly and O'Reilly.

I do think that the country clearly wanted a change, and that young people in particular don't care about parties or who is governing so long as good things happen for them and the country.

My own thoughts about FF now, despite my 'hatred' of them for what they did is that surely, surely, surely they will not make the same mistakes again. They won't want to lose so many seats next time around so I would hope that they make a positive contribution.

I'm sure Michael Martin will be pushing strongly to be Taoiseach though.

Interesting times ahead
alkaline

I have never seen such a pitiful list of candidates in 25 years of voting eligibilty.
Underperformance. Daly is the only one who shows a bit of drive and heart, eventhough I dont agree with her on any level.
Delighted to see O Reilly gone, He gave up on everything and everyone when he was demoted to Children Minister. A chocolate teapot.
A Shinner in Fingal - One termer no matter what she does. The growth of SF is a cause for concern amongst ordinary decent folks. They have a destabilising effect on the state, but lack any intelligence to contain it. This is still fundamentally a criminal organisation, no matter who they in front of the camera.
Mr. Stupid

Yes it is mad to think the third largest party don't agree with the special criminal court. Ah sure...
Vlad the Impaler

Fine Gael and Fianna Fail will have to form a government.

Two things they won't like about this:

1. History/party politics may be hard to overcome.

2. It would make Sinn Fein the opposition, which further legitimises the party.

It's a new era of Right and Left politics rather than civil war lines. The onus is on Labour/Social Democrats to get their act together and form a credible left opposition, or Sinn Fein will fill the void.

Too many lightweights in Labour I fear.
Ken
Site Admin

I can't see FF going into coalition with FG. It will be seen as a first step to a merger and will give SF a foothold as leader of the opposition.

What I can see happening is a minority FG government supported by FF. FF will most likely only do this if Kenny goes which is likely anyway. This will last about 12-18 months when FF will pull the plug and go to the country again hoping to get more seats than FG.

The left aren't well enough organised to make an impact. Too many egos that won't compromise to form a single viable entity.
Regards,

Ken.
alkaline

Another more serious point to consider is IF, FG and FF coalesce and they bomb.
SF basically have the next government handed to them on a plate.
That is the real reason why FG and FF are unlikely to do business.
As a child of the late 70s/80s, with a father who was a guard on the border, I cant contemplate that.
Perhaps my own progeny will accept SF in their time - Youth up to late teens have no idea of the complexity of SF/IRA, and just see SF as equal to all others.
Vlad the Impaler

I think the most important lesson for this website is that our voting polls in no way reflect the national mood.