Donabate Community College

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
micropoodle

Maybe it's not right to base a school on how many of it's pupils go on to third level. i have no doubt that the staff go to great lengths to get students to do their best.

I've always been one to say that getting to third level isn't for everyone and that it's certainly not the end of the world if it doesnt happen. But I do find that it certainly gives many/most people the best chance in life to get a good career. I personally would never push my kids to do something they really dont want to do, but I hope to arm them with enough information that they should see that it will be the option that gives them the best chance.

A better measure of the school might be to look at the figures of the number who applied versus the number that didnt get a place. I realise though that we wont have visibility of those figures and thats fine.

Maybe we should try to understand then why only 57% are going on to third level. If it's not specifically a school issue then is it worth looking at what the other reasons may be?/
In my opinion, this is still very low. Many schools in Dublin are in the 80 to 100% range and I don't think it's unreasonable to aim for such figures.

As it happens I am optimistic that we will be seeing a rise in this figure year on year and for now the best I can do is concentrate on my child who is currently there.
TheBlowIn

If you look across the tables, new schools (with 3rd-level progression figures for only 2-3 years etc.) perform noticeably worse than established ones. From memory, new schools in Adamstown and Luttrellstown follow the same general pattern as DCC. This either means that there really are lower levels of progression, or that the stats are misleading. Only the schools themselves can really clarify this.

It'll be a while I've to make secondary school choices, but I'll be watching these (very imperfect) tables and the school itself in the meantime. It's absolutely right that parents of pupils (and potential pupils) query their schools.
james

It is our job as parents to question how a new school with excellent facilities that had excellent junior Cert results at the start can only send 50% of its students to College today. In relation to the other 50% who did not go to College. DCC is no different to all the other Colleges that come ahead of it. Maybe some of the students went on the camino and stayed, others climbed Mount Everest, others joined Fianna Fail and were never heard of again. We don't know as we don't know for the other Colleges in North Dublin. The only fact we have is the 50% Why!!
donabate1

FRom a parent with a few kids there...i think they have gone from putting an over emphasis on grades under the previous principal who has left to being too laid back. I totally agree that kids who work really hard, are really good at sport etc should be rewarded...but at the end of the day ..it is a school...and good grades are what gives it a good name. The kids say the principal is so nice...he is not meant to be nice...he needs to be tough and a leader! If pupils receive a good result they should be encouraged and that is not happening. I have a child (who luckily!) finds school very easy and would admit to me (not to his friends!!) that he wishes they would push him harder... Regarding college, some of the figures i would imagine are down some of the kids taking a year off to work/build up money for college(and take a little break too!).I know a few kids who did this and are starting college in September. Donabate is a young area and for a lot of families there are a few smaller kids coming behind so money is not as readily available from parents to fund 4 years of college as some of our friends on the southside!
SB123

A good indicator of a school and community that supports its students. Well done to the class of 2016.

http://www.donabatecc.ie/progression-rates-2016/
Gmlive

Just returned from the Christmas Music Concert at the Donabate Community College. What a fantastic evening of entertainment - amazing all the talented young musicians and singers we have in Donabate. Well done to all involved.
james

I am delighted with the results of the 2016 Leaving Cert and the 81% going on to College. The 25% rate for College entry for 2014 and 33% rate for College entry for 2015 were very disappointing. These figures were never addressed by the school. I hope the Secondary School in Donabate has turned a corner and gone back to the solid values it had at the beginning. Everyone had great hopes for this school in the early years and then it lost its way, lets hope it is on the road to recovery.
padraig

Glad to see that it seems the school have turned a corner and results are improving.

Can anybody tell us what was happening at the school yesterday (around lunchtime) with cars parked everywhere around the school (on footpaths ect.) and a Garda car by the reception?

Did it have anything to do with the incident mentioned on the forum under "Village arrivals"?
SB123

First Year parent/teacher meetings. We parked in the community centre of course.