Hearse Road

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
ddd

micropoodle wrote: cant imagine permission will be given to build a road so close/right at the Rogerstown Estuary, a protected area. Not to mention the land purchase required across the Golf Club and other private lands.

I don't think a road needs to go around the back of those estates, once the village is bypassed by the originally planned Distributor Road, which has planning permission, that should be sufficient
You are right. I think you guessed that I am not working for the council anyway. :D
I just wondered about that possibility. That's all.
micropoodle

ddd wrote: You are right. I think you guessed that I am not working for the council anyway. :D
I just wondered about that possibility. That's all.
it's great to see discussion on it and alternatives proposed.

i'm just playing devils advocate is all :D
Stromboli

I'd tend to agree, in general the road itself is not that dangerous, its the speed and reckless overtaking that cause problems. However its going to get cut up badly when the heavy construction traffic ramps up
Ken
Site Admin

The reckless overtaking is usually people taking chances driving behind a car well under the speed limit. I don't take chances myself, but it is really frustrating when you're in a hurry and the car in font is driving at 30kph with a string of traffic behind them. The construction traffic will only exacerbate this.

The only real solution is a ring road. We won't get that until more people are seriously injured or die. That's the reality in this country.
Regards,

Ken.
micropoodle

Ken wrote:The reckless overtaking is usually people taking chances driving behind a car well under the speed limit. I don't take chances myself, but it is really frustrating when you're in a hurry and the car in font is driving at 30kph with a string of traffic behind them. The construction traffic will only exacerbate this.

The only real solution is a ring road. We won't get that until more people are seriously injured or die. That's the reality in this country.
frustration though is no excuse for taking chances. yes when it happens I sometimes get frustrated too, but i actually make a point of never overtaking another vehicle on the Hearse road. The 30 second to 1 minute saving you will gain really isn't worth the risk. If you're in a hurry, leave earlier!

EDIT: Just to add of course, we know that the road is going to be a complete mess once construction starts. And it's going to get very dangerous. The HSE/An Bord Pleanala clearly don't realise or don't care. They may start to care too late when the first serious accident occurs
Mr. Stupid

There is a call for submissions to the Donabate Development plan at the moment. So if you feel strongly about it that's the place to submit.

The road should widened by using a COP. This would be to facilitate a proper / purpose built bike lane and footpath.

Seeing someone walk (or cycle) on the road is scary.
Vlad the Impaler

I left my car into the Auto repair just past the garage the other week and walked back to the village.

Even that short 200 meter stretch was like walking on a racetrack. The road is unsuitable for the village now, so improvement is welcome.

BTW, I have to say the auto repair shop on the Hearse road into the village is very good. Will be using it for all my servicing in future.
ddd

Well, this evening it was proven again, that the Hearse Road is not safe.
pat mustard

pity the new fangled signs dont work any more. need a mains plug I think.
micropoodle

ddd wrote:Well, this evening it was proven again, that the Hearse Road is not safe.
why? what happened?

I'm not entirely sure how people think it's not safe. The only bit I think that's not safe is coming over the railway bridge into Donabate.

If you drive within the speed limit and allow for the relevent conditions (eg: drive more slowly when it's raining), then really you shouldn't have an accident. If you don't need to get to the roundabout at the M1 20 seconds ahead of everyone else, and don't overtake, then you shouldn't have an accident.

I don't think the road is the problem, it's some people who insist on driving dangerously
topsyturvey

Check out page 21 of the following document.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/media/The%20Ca ... 6-2018.pdf

Fingal is budgeting €20m for the relief road - €16.2m spend to the end of 2018 - HOWEVER... the funding is from 'Levies' - the NFMH is exempt from Levies as far as I know.

Note as well that the HSE Transportation and Traffic Assessment report prepeared in support of their initial application for the NFMH included widening and realignment of the Hearse Road on the approah to the bridge amongst other cosmetic measures - I am not sure however if they are even bothering to carry out these token works in advance of commencement of the construction activities.

http://nationalforensichospital.com/

http://nationalforensichospital.com/wp- ... 2%2016.pdf
ddd

Just an another accident.
The road is probably safe for cars (don't mind buses or trucks), but definetly not safe for bicycles or predestians. Without footpath/bicycle lane/hard shoulder they put they life to risk. If a (probably suicidal) cyclist turns up in the dark without lighting or high vis after a curve, then the chances are high for an accident to happen.
If you say the road is safe you should ask yourself if you would be brave enough to walk on the road from the village to the M1 and back.
micropoodle

ddd wrote:Just an another accident.
The road is probably safe for cars (don't mind buses or trucks), but definetly not safe for bicycles or predestians. Without footpath/bicycle lane/hard shoulder they put they life to risk. If a (probably suicidal) cyclist turns up in the dark without lighting or high vis after a curve, then the chances are high for an accident to happen.
If you say the road is safe you should ask yourself if you would be brave enough to walk on the road from the village to the M1 and back.
you're right. i was specifically thinking about cars because i would never ever contemplate walking that road.
it's actually something thats always baffled me, how there has never really been a pedestrian way out of Donabate. A safe one.

there's no real political will to change that out in Donabate though. I really cant see the distributor road being built in the next 10 years. We don't really matter out here. Maybe we can submit a petition to change our name to Malahide. We'd get stuff done for us then!
diggerbarnes

We live on a peninsula, that's part of the beauty of where we live. We will never be fully part of urban sprawl.
Where would you be walking to anyway? Hanging out at the overpass?
micropoodle

diggerbarnes wrote:We live on a peninsula, that's part of the beauty of where we live. We will never be fully part of urban sprawl.
Where would you be walking to anyway? Hanging out at the overpass?
believe it or not, not everyone in Donabate has a car. There are lots and lots of people who like to take long walks. There are also many houses along the Hearse road who I'm sure would love to be able to walk into the village. Sure in that case there's no need for a path on Turvey avenue!
Diego

No wonder accidents are happening on the Hearse Road.
This morning a silver Nissan overtook me on the way out of the village, they crossed the solid white line, then they had to stop at the temporary traffic lights. They seemed very impatient and appeared eager to overtake the other cars in front. I was doing the 50kph speed limit when overtaken.
They must have been very frustrated when they had to stop at the traffic lights at the end of the Hearse Road. I was going onto the M1 and didn't have to stop.
This was the most stupid and dangerous driving I have seen on the Hearse Road for a long time.
Why don't you leave a few minutes early. We all know the road is busy the traffic moves slow, like all roads.
I have the registration number.
Spider

Drove down the Hearse Road towards Donabate this evening at around 8.15 and three cars came towards me with the full headlights on. Please, please turn off the full beams when a car is coming towards you. One of the cars had the full headlights on on the strip of the road where there are still street lights.
Eva

Drove home this evening Hearse Rd never saw the Hearse Rd as wet.
1stimer

Just as aside I see Rush got a load of new street lights along the Lusk to Rush road. Donabate passed over? Hearse Road could definately do with a few street lights.
Mr. Stupid

Folk there is a development plan for Donabate open to public consultation. Now is the time to flag all the dangers regarding Hearse Road and any other concerns you have thanks.