Proposed train timetable to Donabate

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
JAG

Please take the time to review the draft for the new proposed timetable to Donabate. Even if you are not directly impacted by the changes I suggest you object as they are planning to remove trains during peak times (17:30 from Connolly to bypass Donabate) leaving a 50 minute gap between trains around times when a lot of people finish work. I thought Donabate is about to expand yet Irishrail are showing no consideration and further reduce an already poor service.
Ken
Site Admin

Here's a link with the details. Not great for Donabate.

http://www.irishrail.ie/news/public-con ... TTimetable
Regards,

Ken.
Burt

Hi
I agree. Really doesn't make sense. Train from Connolly at 5.12 isn't going to be any use either to someone leaving work at 5.00 anywhere south of the Liffey. I've put in a submission.
If enough people put in a submission maybe similar to 33d bus route it might make a difference. Also might be worthwhile bringing to attention of local politicians?

Regards
Topsy

To those of you who commute by train please go to the Irish Rail website and look at the proposed timetable for 2016. Some of the trains that currently start in Bray will now start in Pearse and one of the peak evening trains now will not stop in Donabate. You can provide feedback and let them know the negative impacts it will have
jayflame

I get the current 0814 from Donabate, next stop is Connolly 21 minutes later, Pearse at 0842 (or thereabouts)
Under proposed changes, train will leave Donabate at 0812, stop at Malahide, then onto Connolly 0838, Pearse at 0846.

The 0814 is already a packed train by the time it gets to Donabate and they want to squeeze more onto it.
A couple of times in recent weeks, it has stopped (unknown and unannounced) and not everyone has been able to get on.

Oh, and what gets me even more, the current 1713 soon to be 1723 from Pearse, STILL DOES NOT stop at Donabate, but goes from Connolly to Rush & Lusk.
Seriously?

Who got paid to work this timetable out?
My 5 year old nephew could do better than this.

There are signs that Commuter trains will be stuck behind Darts all over the timetable.

All this because of a "Dart every 10 minutes" promise.

Irish Rail? More like Rail Fail.
blow-in

I have submitted objections to the Irish Rail website using the provided form. I would urge others to follow, as per original posters recommendations. The local politicians should be representing Donabate accordingly. Will be very interested to see which, if any, take this on and get these proposed decisions reversed.
Vlad the Impaler

Pretty ridiculous. We are one of the highest users of rail in the country.

I'll make a submission alright.
jayflame

Vlad the Impaler wrote:Pretty ridiculous. We are one of the highest users of rail in the country.
Taken from the Heavy Rail Census 2013;

"The most heavily loaded Commuter service was the 07.10 from (Newry) Dundalk to Bray, which carried 822 passengers between Donabate and Connolly.
Assuming an 8-car trainset with a capacity of 1,280 (seats and standing), this represents a 64 percent load factor.
In 2012 the most heavily loaded Commuter train was the 07.55 Maynooth – Bray service which reached a capacity of 66 percent."

The train mentioned above currently arrives in Donabate circa 0814.
This is the one they want to add an extra stop - Malahide.

Also along the same amount in the 2014 report, but not mentioned as above.
Figures in the 2014 report still put Donabate as the 3rd highest non Dart passenger count, behind Balbirggan then Skerries.
Amazingly ahead of Drogheda, but not surprisingly, way ahead of Rush & Lusk.
The latter still boggles me as to why a Commuter runs non stop from Connolly to Rush & Lusk when there are more than 300 less passengers per year using that service.

I can understand some rail users wish to commute to Malahide in the morning, but there is already enough trains servicing Malahide southbound, no need for every single one.

And I wonder what an 8-car trainset with a capacity of 1,280 is actually like.
I'm sure to have been on a few that have exceeded that
Last edited by jayflame on 29 Nov 2015, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

JAG wrote:remove trains during peak times (17:30 from Connolly to bypass Donabate) leaving a 50 minute gap between trains around times when a lot of people finish work.
You mean the 17:35 right? And according to the new timetable it's 40 mins of a gap (not 50)? I'm not for the changes nor being pedantic, I get that dropped train everyday and will be filling in the form now, it's just important to be accurate otherwise complaints will be ignored as exaggerations.
JAG

It is 17:30 in the new proposed timetable, you are right though, the gap is from 17:12 to 17:50. Important to note that the 17:12 is from Connolly only giving people working on the southside of Liffey and finishing at 17 an near impossible task to make the train.
Vlad the Impaler

A lot of people rely on the current 17.35 and have their work organised around that.

Anyway, Donabate should be serviced by all commuter trains. An email to local TDs wouldn't go a miss. Taxpayers' money still subsidises Irish rail.
balga

Received an email there from a gentleman on the Skerries Community Association re meeting he has organised with community reps from Skerries, Balbriggan, Rush, Lusk and hopefully Donabate/Portrane. Meeting set for tomorrow evening about 21:00 for Balbriggan. Anyone interested please send mail to secretary@donabateportranecommunity.com and details will be forwarded. Thanks.
allyb

I've objected to this too. very hard to believe they're is not an up roar over this... anyone who would normally get the 6pm train (arriving in donabate) like me will now have the already long day extended to 6.18pm, i doubt it will arrive on time, possibly 6.20+pm... i'm soooo angry about this as i'd sometimes have to collect little boy from child minder so i'll either have to change finish time in work or dicuss with child minder about taking him longer.... very disruptive to families working.... Please, Please spread the work.
Derek

Looks like Donabate is loosing out, Malahide and Dundalk are gaining. The biggest single disgorge from the 5:30 pm train from town was always when it landed in Malahide. Now that this station has been dropped, there should be plenty of room on that service to include Donabate and Dundalk. Malahide and Dundalk both have additional services calling there in the evening but we a are loosing out. Surely it couldn't be a general election timetable, could it....?
Lo-cal

Not sure if its of any help but the following was posted on the Rush Needs You! FB page which I've only just seen and may be a bit late in terms of attending the meeting suggested in the post. There are contact details at the bottom for anyone who is interested in making contact.

Hello,
My name is Bob Laird. I am the FCN - Fingal Community Network representative on the Fingal SPC (Strategic Planning Committee) for Transport. I am a former Chairman of Skerries Community Association and I have a professional background in transport.
I am trying to get a meeting urgently about our train service, and specifically proposed changes. Public consultation is until 8th December. There are common interests in Balbriggan, Skerries, Rush, Lusk, Donabate and Portrane. I would like to have a meeting of community representatives from all these towns within the next few days. Suggestion is at 9pm next Tuesday, 1st December, venue to be agreed.
The reason for needing the meeting is to make people aware of what is being proposed for our train service, especially where the service would deteriorate. We also need a lobby for an improved service. The political momentum is with increasing DART to every 10 mins, and we are losing out to facilitate this.
I believe that we need to
1. make people aware of the proposed changes
2. encourage as many submissions as possible
3. form a joint lobby group to seek a meeting at high level in Irish Rail about our service.
We need to make it clear to Irish Rail that we have some issues with the current level of service, and additional serious concerns with the proposals; and that we are not a lobby to be ignored.
Please note the urgency of this, which is dictated by the public consultation period.

You can contact me at
boblaird@gmail.com
allyb

Why do we not see any local TD looking into this??? its such a hassle. have looked into finishing work a little earlier (not ideal) or wait around work to get the amended train from Pearse at 5.40 (not ideal) such a pain.. i've submitted feedback but i'm just wondering if i can do more???
Vlad the Impaler

Allyb, firstly make sure you submit an objection to Irish Rail on the link above.

It would do no harm for you and others to flag this with your local representatives by email also.

I certainly have, and I've got as many people as I know to submit also.

17.30 train from Connolly is an absolute necessity for working parents and others.
allyb

Perfect! will do.. thanks a mill really dont want to discuss work time changes with employer but thats what i'll have to do if they get rid of the 17.30 train. :evil:
RunningAround

It is a disgrace that the 17.59 (arriving in Donabate) is being removed. I really do not understand how this can be a valid proposal, have they seen the amount of people who depart this train daily??
I submitted my response to Irish Rail and have outlined the fact that apart from one bus daily there is no other mode of transport servicing Donabate/Portrane from the city centre where all other North County Dublin commuter towns have alternative transport.

I also received this from email Darragh OBrien:

Date: 3 December 2015 14:23:54 GMT
To: "Adrian Henchy" <Adrian.Henchy@cllrs.fingal.ie>
Subject: Train service from Donabate train station
A Chara,

I hope this finds you well. I have had a number of very concerned residents on to me regarding the train service from Donabate train station, in particular very unhappy with the draft proposed timetable and how it would impact negatively on commuters in Donabate and Portrane.

Irish Rail have opened a public consultation on draft 2016 timetables and are looking for customers to review it and give feedback by the 8th December 2015.

The public consultation can be accessed here: http://www.irishrail.ie/news/public-con ... r-services

I would encourage you to check this out and to give your feedback.

Both I and Cllr Adrian Henchy have contacted Barry Kenny in Irish Rail seeking a meeting to discuss the issues that have already been raised by residents.

I will be back in touch as soon as we have a further update. In the meantime feel free to send me your feedback which I will raise with Iarnroid Eireann when I meet them.

Kind Regards,
Darragh
pat mustard

RunningAround wrote:It is a disgrace that the 17.59 (arriving in Donabate) is being removed. I really do not understand how this can be a valid proposal, have they seen the amount of people who depart this train daily??

This train is always 10 mins late if not more, so it falls outside IR stats for the classification of "on time". (up to 10 mins !)

maybe its all about the stats!
Derek

RunningAround wrote:It is a disgrace that the 17.59 (arriving in Donabate) is being removed. I really do not understand how this can be a valid proposal, have they seen the amount of people who depart this train daily??
I submitted my response to Irish Rail and have outlined the fact that apart from one bus daily there is no other mode of transport servicing Donabate/Portrane from the city centre where all other North County Dublin commuter towns have alternative transport.

I also received this from email Darragh OBrien:

Date: 3 December 2015 14:23:54 GMT
To: "Adrian Henchy" <Adrian.Henchy@cllrs.fingal.ie>
Subject: Train service from Donabate train station
A Chara,

I hope this finds you well. I have had a number of very concerned residents on to me regarding the train service from Donabate train station, in particular very unhappy with the draft proposed timetable and how it would impact negatively on commuters in Donabate and Portrane.

Irish Rail have opened a public consultation on draft 2016 timetables and are looking for customers to review it and give feedback by the 8th December 2015.

The public consultation can be accessed here: http://www.irishrail.ie/news/public-con ... r-services

I would encourage you to check this out and to give your feedback.

Both I and Cllr Adrian Henchy have contacted Barry Kenny in Irish Rail seeking a meeting to discuss the issues that have already been raised by residents.

I will be back in touch as soon as we have a further update. In the meantime feel free to send me your feedback which I will raise with Iarnroid Eireann when I meet them.

Kind Regards,
Darragh
It's no good these lads speaking with Barry Kenny. He's corporate communications and "spin". He's not operations and timetables planning, these are the real guys the local reps need to be speaking with
newtodonabate

Any updates on the meeting? planning to move to Donabate next year and left my feedback when it was open
savman

Would a train later than 2330 be such a huge ask??
allyb

Anyone heard anymore about this? need to have a chat with my boss if the changes go ahead :cry:
EAMO888

Just seeing this now, any updates? I mailed the local tds as I saw it too late. Who is their right mind would cancel that 17.30 train? Its always jammers. What planet do Irish rail people live on?