Hearse Road

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
brendandelaney

It amazes me that nothing has been done in all these years, regarding the awful and dangerous Hearse Road. There have been rumours in the past about a new road from Newbridge House to the Portrane Road, by-passing Donabate Village. however Fingal County Councildeny deny any knowledge of it.

The road itself was not built for the volume of traffic using it, and which is going to increase once building construction is resumed. There are no footpaths: pedestrians actually take their lives in their hands by having to use it. A cyclist can hold up traffic, as there is no means of passing the cyclist with traffic coming from the opposite direction. A similar situation arises with the many tractors and heavy construction vehidles which use the road.

I am sure that most people who read this are well aware of the problems, and I am surpised that none of the many residents associations in the area have made a major issue of it. The reason I write now is that with the Government having extended capital spending, and with an election in the offing, I believe there will no better opportunity in the foreseeable future to request immediate action on this basic requirement. To this end, may I make a suggestion, which I shall follow myself, and that is to phone or write, or email each election candidate in this constituency outlining the request. This should apply in respect of all Government ministers as well. Same letter would suit in each instance and even a communal letter or signed petition might be preferable. It s only by weight of numbers and a non-silent majority approach that we may get things done. It might benefit from a local organised campeign also.

My final point would be that if they ever give the go-ahead for improved highway, rather than, as rumoured, that it would commence at Newbridge House, it should start in the vicinity of Jones' Garden Centre along the right hand side of the large field. This would surely be more efficient, eliminate dangerous bends and cause a minimum of disturbance.

Brendan Delaney
alkaline

as country roads go, it pretty easy to drive on. Stick to the limit on the road and its grand.
Mr. Stupid

No way, it's very dangerous.

* Winters evening and someone is walking on it.
* Cyclist holding up traffic and one car gets an inevitable bit of road rage.

It is one of the most dangerous roads out there and I wouldn't let me or my kids cycle on it and by right we should be able to cycle to at least Swords - safely.
pat mustard

it now takes a lot of traffic in comparison to 10 years ago.

It should have public lighting along the route up to junction at M1/Jones'.

Even taxi drivers moan about how dark it is at night.
Ted

Cyclists are Traffic!
Ken
Site Admin

I agree. It's very dangerous and going to get a lot worse with the construction traffic.
Regards,

Ken.
Mr. Stupid

Ted wrote:
Cyclists are Traffic!
Fair enough. But it is going to get more and more dangerous and everyone (motorists, cyclists, hgvs etc) need to be on the same page so something gets done.
topsyturvey

It is a risk when a HGV or bus uses it - but a risk we have learnt to live with. It will become a lot riskier when the incidence of HGVs and/or buses coming from opposite directions meet approaching or at the railway bridge.

Nothing would have been done without the National Foresic Mental Hospital development - as eventuallly the Relief Road would have been the mitigation for these risks. Now, we arent getting the relief road, we dont appear to be getting the (inadequate) mitigation measures required within the HSE's own consultant's traffic and transport report which was relied upon by An Bord Pleanala (unless FCC stand up for the community and compliance with the planning approval), but we will be getting regular incidences of HGVs and buses meeting.
blow-in

Was driving down the Hearse road out of Donabate this morning at 11 and saw a complete moron performing an impressive manoeuvre in a blue/grey 08 Audi A6. If that was you, you're my hero!!
Ann O
Site Admin

Passed a recovery truck and Gardai getting a crashed motorcycle out of the field across from Newbridge House earlier, hope no one was hurt.
Vlad the Impaler

I've wondered could we have a one way system around the peninsula like in the ring of Kerry, especially when the hospital work starts.

One-way in along the Hearse road and one-way out along Turvey.

There'd be space for a decent cycle lane... maybe even a footpath!

Pipe-dream, I know, but hey...
Quello Serio

Vlad the Impaler wrote:One-way in along the Hearse road and one-way out along Turvey.
That would have to be In along Turvey, and Out on Hearse. Otherwise you're crossing the traffic streams at the train station. I paid attention during Ghostbusters, and understand that you must never cross the streams.
diggerbarnes

Vampires shouldn't cross streams either.
It would make it a long journey to get petrol though wouldn't it? Or if you needed to pick up some steel purlins.
tsuzmir

from Fingal indo
Attachments
IMAG0313.jpg
mirror

Does anyone know what happened today on the Hearse road, the traffic was diverted on to Turvey avenue by the Gardai.
Stromboli

Two car crash, don't think there were any serious injuries
Ann O
Site Admin

Car crashed and caught fire at side of cottage on Hearse Road just past the petrol station about an hour ago.
gemma

Sorry let me grasp this...

OP you want a nice straight 'highway' bypassing Donabate village to Portrane?

What exactly is there in Portrane, other than a few housing estates... that would justify such a spend?

Seriously?!
jack white

The Donabate Local Area Plan that was put forward by the Council a few years ago confirmed that such a road is needed. It's actually a distributor road which allows traffic to get to Portrane without going through Donabate but also allows traffic to access different parts of Donabate (including countless new housing estates) without going through the village.
foo

Completely agree with the original poster. A plan for the Hearse road should be the starting point for the local area plan. What is the point in having a lovely dual carriage way with cycle lanes than then peters out into the single lane, no-verge, death trap that is the Hearse road. The LAP seems to assume that the major traffic is going to be around the village not in and out of the peninsula.

Considering the danger of the Hearse road including the number of accidents, including very tragically a fatality of a local, its bizarre that they haven't even managed to put cat's eyes on the road.

The real lack of joined up thinking is where there are plans for a dual carriage way with footpaths and cycle lanes that then filters into a narrow winding road which is to take all major road traffic on and off the peninsula. This road then emerges and joins up to the x million euro cyce lane underpass of the M1. The fact that this hugely expensive (and potentially massively valuable) cycle tunnel can't be used by cyclists in Donabate is crazy.

Cycle lane and footpath badly need for the hearse road. Otherwise the LAP makes no sense, adds no value to existing community and takes no account of climate change and our car dependence. We are very car dependent here and we need more options.
ddd

I wonder why everybody is still thinking about the Hearse Road upgrade. I would suggest to use it for bicycles only. The Turvey Ave could be upgraded to dual carriageway between the R132 and new distribution road, then could remain single carriageway to the town centre. The new distribution road can bypass Donabate providing road to existing housing estates (e.g. Cois Inbhir) and to new ones (e.g. Rahillon).

Please see the image bellow for the sketch:
http://imgur.com/Xp8taSM
diggerbarnes

What about the main entrance to Newbridge park? And the garage? And Jones', and the few houses and businesses along the Hearse Road? And the people who live along the minor roads off the Hearse Road?
ddd

diggerbarnes wrote:What about the main entrance to Newbridge park? And the garage? And Jones', and the few houses and businesses along the Hearse Road? And the people who live along the minor roads off the Hearse Road?
Fair enough, the trouble is as far I can see that there is no space for widening the Hearse Road because those mentioned houses and businesses along the road.
micropoodle

ddd wrote:I wonder why everybody is still thinking about the Hearse Road upgrade. I would suggest to use it for bicycles only. The Turvey Ave could be upgraded to dual carriageway between the R132 and new distribution road, then could remain single carriageway to the town centre. The new distribution road can bypass Donabate providing road to existing housing estates (e.g. Cois Inbhir) and to new ones (e.g. Rahillon).

Please see the image bellow for the sketch:
http://imgur.com/Xp8taSM
cant imagine permission will be given to build a road so close/right at the Rogerstown Estuary, a protected area. Not to mention the land purchase required across the Golf Club and other private lands.

I don't think a road needs to go around the back of those estates, once the village is bypassed by the originally planned Distributor Road, which has planning permission, that should be sufficient
diggerbarnes

I don't think it's too bad a road. There's the one sticky corner but there is plenty of signage there now and anyone hitting the wall has probably done that by going too fast - you can't legislate for that sort of bad driving.