Scrambler bikes on old Turvey Golf Club

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
padraig

paceman wrote:The bikes have been back the last few weeks and are particularly noisy today (there seems more bikes than usual), previously Swords Garda station have been helpful always saying they would send a car (although have no confirmation that they ever did), however today I was told that there was nothing they could do and the only option was to get in contact with the landowner, anyone else have any information they could share on this?
I don't know how you guys live with it, was out at the Priory on the other side of Donabate this afternoon and I could hear them from there. What will the Gards say if you tell them you want to lay a charge of trespassing against the offenders whiles they are out there?
Ken
Site Admin

We could hear them from the top of the Beaverstown Road this evening. It must be hell living closer.

There are still estate agent signs up. I wonder if they could contact the owner of the land? There could also be security company signs around the golf club house. They're worth a call also. That's how we solved the bird scarer problem last year by calling the security company that had signs on the land.
Regards,

Ken.
Austy

I was cutting the grass this evening in Beverton and I could hear them over the noise of the mower. To be honest, I'd swear that they have actually made the bikes noisier by messing with the exhausts.
Normally when I'm in the back garden, it's so quiet save for a few kids etc. When these guys get going, the noise is crazy.
Mr. Stupid

As stated earlier in thread, complain to Fingal CC.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/customer-service/contact-us/#

It is noise pollution and let's face it, it could be a terrible summer with lovely evenings being spoilt by the noise pollution.
Donny Bate

I was talking to client who is a member of Moto cross Ireland. He said that if any of the bikers operating in Turvey are members of motocross Ireland they could face disciplinary action for what they are doing. If anyone feels that this might be a worthwhile avenue to go down please get on to www.motocrossireland.ie for contact details and get some advice.
Mr. Stupid

Scrambler bikes running amok again tonight.
Who owns this land?
paceman

It really makes you appreciate the lovely quiet evenings when they are not about..., I phoned Swords Garda around 7pm and they said a car had been sent out, by 8 still noting had changed so I called back and they said that they had turned up and couldnt see anyone so they left...the bikes did stop for 10 mins after 7 and then started again so perhaps they turned up at just the wrong moment!

Just been up and there are 3 security firm notices in the window of the old golf club, some or all may be old signs, but might be worth giving a call in order to figure out if any of them are still engaged in monitoring the building or land and, if so, if anything can be done longterm
Last edited by paceman on 13 Aug 2015, 10:05, edited 1 time in total.
tsuzmir

A little while ago I logged a complaint with county council and couple of days ago got this email form EHO:

'Dear Sir,
Our department is contacting you in relation to your complaint recently logged regarding “ scrambler bikes on Old Turvey golf course”.
This complaint was investigated by our department and the owner of the land was contacted. This office discussed the complaint logged with the owner for their further investigation. They were requested to implement noise mitigation measures to abate the nuisance .
Our department has been informed by the owner of the property that a security firm has now been employed to police the area at weekends to prevent the activity from taking place. Our department carried out an onsite inspection on the 24.05.15 and no noise nuisance was evident.
This complaint has now been closed however should the issue arise again in the future please contact our department on 01-8708430'

I suppose nothing will be done (see: 'the complaint is now closed') unless we use this phone number and voice our frustration (always in a polite manner :) )
paceman

Hi Tsuzmir,
Did you get a contact name in the council or the name of the security firm? The bikes unfortunately returned on Monday evening and again yesterday evening and looking to get in touch with the security firm to see if they can nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand again, if not I will give the number you attached a call and see if I can get any further details
Thanks
tsuzmir

paceman wrote:Hi Tsuzmir,
Did you get a contact name in the council or the name of the security firm? The bikes unfortunately returned on Monday evening and again yesterday evening and looking to get in touch with the security firm to see if they can nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand again, if not I will give the number you attached a call and see if I can get any further details
Thanks
here's the email i got with contact details below:

Dear Sir,

Our department is contacting you in relation to your complaint recently logged regarding “ scrambler bikes on Old Turvey golf course”.

This complaint was investigated by our department and the owner of the land was contacted. This office discussed the complaint logged with the owner for their further investigation. They were requested to implement noise mitigation measures to abate the nuisance .

Our department has been informed by the owner of the property that a security firm has now been employed to police the area at weekends to prevent the activity from taking place. Our department carried out an onsite inspection on the 24.05.15 and no noise nuisance was evident.

This complaint has now been closed however should the issue arise again in the future please contact our department on 01-8708430.

Kind regards,

XXXXXX
Environmental Health Officer

Fingal County Council

01-8708430
Last edited by tsuzmir on 25 Jul 2015, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Looks like the EHO needs to be sent video footage every day until they do something about it.
paceman

An update on this issue

I contacted the EHO in Fingal County Council and had a good conversation about the noise nuisance today. The EHO was very helpful indeed and really seems to have taken a serious interest in solving this issue. There are two things to report as this time

1) The EHO got back in contact with the landowner requesting an on-site meeting so that they can examine if it is possible to secure the land and prevent access to the bikes. They are currently figuring out when this meeting can happen, but the EHO is hopeful that it happens over the next few weeks.

2) I contacted the landowner by email, who immediately got back to me and they told me that they appreciated the help of the local residents in helping to stop this practice ASAP. They have given me the contact details of the local security company, but have asked me to keep this to a 'select few', in order to save a lot of duplication of complaints. If you want the details (it makes sense for a few people to have them) then simply PM me and I will send them on to you

Hopefully now we can put a to stop to the noise :)
Kiki

We live in Beverton and really I find this thread way OTT. An Garda Siochana have more to deal with than a few kids on scramblers on a summers evening. Just saying!
Mr. Stupid

Beverton is huge, it demands where you live I suppose and how often you hear it. Suffice to say, if you come home from a long day at work and just want to relax or have friends over at the weekend for a barbie and that's all you hear it's a head reck.

I am sure there are plenty of people who don't mind the dog sh*t either.
Mr. Stupid

Some the scrambler lads out for a Sunday scramble :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKLAeCYmg8M

Some great wheelies and skill on show.
Ken
Site Admin

Let the laws of natural selection deal with them.
Regards,

Ken.
Mr. Stupid

Sorry for bringing this up again. But the Scrammblers are back. Anyone know who best to complain to about this?
paceman

Looks like the golf club is under new management and has been rebranded as a sports centre with football golf / driving range, see https://www.facebook.com/turveymanor. Seems the person number to call is Kevin Beirth‎ 0872811202, so I would start there

However, he has made a Facebook post to the Dublin City Motocross Club, posting
"Anyone interested in running a motor cross event in Turvey Manor Donabate" (see
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 3566245654), which doesnt look good if the bikes are actively being sought, not sure what planning laws are wrt this
Harry Byrne

Seems to be a fair amount of delusion going on here:

http://www.worldgolflessons.com/
focus

Why is there such a big issue about this? The people who are doing this are just looking for somewhere to practice. Just because the sport isn't widely recognised and accepted in the Republic doesn't mean that the ones who are out getting practice when they can should be reprimanded.
Motocross is a big part of the lives of a lot of people in the north County and why shouldn't they be allowed practice when the person who owns the land at Turvey has given them permission to use it.
The closest track to here is Gormanston and even at that it's only open certain times for practice.
Milverton MC run track days around the Lusk area and no one complains about it, so again- what's the big deal?
Ken
Site Admin

The big deal is noise pollution. The noise really travels and is annoying especially during warmer weather when windows are open and people are using their gardens.

I would also question if those lands can be used for this activity given that they are adjacent to a nature reserve (Rogerstown Estuary). Planning permission for those lands has been declined on numerous occasions in the past for that very reason.

I would agree that there should be somewhere fore them to practise. In the past, those using the land for this purpose were trespassing. I'm not sure of the position now. There were times last year where you could hear them from dawn to dusk which is unacceptable in an urban area.
Regards,

Ken.
Defcom

I have a great idea. Why dont we as a community stick together and go up to turvey show some backbone and confront these individuals.
Mr. Stupid

It is unfair to kids studying for Junior / Leaving / College that they they have that noise. Not to mention anyone who just wants a quiet-ish back garden. The people causing the noise pollution can stop or else it is going to get very messy. There are expensive houses being built right beside the area now.
focus

Hopefully no one here who is complaining ever has a child who wants to get involved with motocross because they clearly won't be allowed. "Expensive houses" means what exactly? That they are too good to have people practicing a sport that they are passionate about? As I said- grass tracks take place every couple of weekends in Lusk and the locals there don't complain and whinge. These people are out doing something they love and are passionate about.
Mugwump

Good on ya Focus!

As long as people are passionate, it doesn't matter how much noise they make.