Fibre Broadband in the Links

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Jed

Just heard The Links has been upgraded to fibre broadband!!! :D :D :D
pat mustard

not wanting to burst any balloons... on average getting only 40 megabits download speed in Somerton.50 metres from the green box. nowhere near the 100.

unless of course you are getting UPC and their advertised 240 speed, imagine its prob max 150 though in reality.

for all the providers we've had since the dawn age of t'internet seems to be about less than half the sales pitch..in reality...(sadly regularly doing speedtests.)

a load of UK internet provider companies were eventually pulled up on their speeds and had to change their rate to average rather than top speed (unsure if this is still deffo in place,think it was ofcom or ASA) , Bit like saying a car can do 100kpg.. done in a lab with no side mirrors ,no wind, waif like driver in it, brand new car for 1 day.

jeysus, i need to lighten up a bit,.... but you are attracted to these sales pitches things because of the advertised speeds/rates/thingymebobs.

nearly the long weekend. Slainte to all.Hopefully everyone has booked the Monday off by now.Spring is here! :D but prob an initial indoor BBQ this weekend, Shamrock Steaks n shillelagh Sausages.
Derek

UPC broadband in Donabate is capped at 30Mb and on speed tests, the max I've seen is just over 20Mb. We can't the high speed "Horizon" stuff they are peddling elsewhere. Also, the WiFi strength on the standard issue UPC routers is crap. Coverage is patchy upstairs. My old Eircom Netgear router trounces it hands down and gave full coverage throughout the house and both gardens!
Quello Serio

Jed may have more up-to-date information, but I quizzed UPC on this before, and was told that despite the 'FibrePower' sales pitch, the connection is (was?) actually delivered over a microwave link. Derek's 20M must have been on a good day, mine is usually 15M at best. Doesn't stop them charging more than they currently quote for 120Mb in other areas...

I strongly recommend cancelling. You'll get a call from their customer loyalty department offering a better deal.
Ken
Site Admin

These are my stats on Eircom eFibre at the top of the Beaverstown Road. I don't get anywhere near the 100Mb advertised speed, but more importantly it's very stable and reliable. The WiFi signal from the Eircom modem is also very good.

Regards,

Ken.
Derek

Quello Serio wrote:Jed may have more up-to-date information, but I quizzed UPC on this before, and was told that despite the 'FibrePower' sales pitch, the connection is (was?) actually delivered over a microwave link. Derek's 20M must have been on a good day, mine is usually 15M at best. Doesn't stop them charging more than they currently quote for 120Mb in other areas...

I strongly recommend cancelling. You'll get a call from their customer loyalty department offering a better deal.
I always wangle a "better than offered" deal from UPC on the basis that they cannot provide me with headline figures offered elsewhere, therefore they cannot charge me the standard rate. Ultimately this has to be reflected in the price.
dfletcher

Hi,
I can confirm that 245Mb is available and achievable with UPC. It is only possible with wired Ethernet i.e. 1Gb Ethernet card in your laptop or PC connected directly to the UPC router. Using Wi-Fi, I achieved an average of 65Mb. Hope this helps!

Regards,

D
Jed

Beats the crap out of the 2mbs i was getting from Vodafone
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-05-02 at 11.41.07.png
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Looks like Vodafone are offering Fibre broadband now as well (obviously using the Eircom lines). At 55 a month for Fibre (no speed mentioned) + all Irish landline and mobile calls they're a lot cheaper than Magnet (who I'm with atm).

What's their customer / technical support service like? Is the modem they provide locked down?